Goose hunting on ice

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Goose hunting on ice

Postby DrakeRoth22 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:15 am

So late season we hunt a little lake that freezes sollid 6-12 inches. we always just cut our hole with the cainsaw bye the edge in shooting range and its wored out alright not great but still get some. weve always wanted to hunt in the middle but didnt know how to hide if we used snow cover and but decoys tight around us and close together would that work?
DrakeRoth22
hunter

Re: Goose hunting on ice

Postby MarkM » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:33 am

Why don't you just put an ice eater out there in it to keep a hole open?

http://www.mallardviewoutdoors.com/

Should be able to fit in in your trailer.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby DrakeRoth22 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:59 am

Buddy has one seems easier to just cut the hole becouse wouldnt it take a while to open a hole in 12 inches?.. its a public lake noone hunts it but legally we would have to stay with it.
DrakeRoth22
hunter

Postby MarkM » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:07 am

Depends on how thick the ice was when you put it out there. Being public, you would have to stay with it.

Read this, has some info for you.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=184692

Also, search the forums, you can probably find everything you could want.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby lag1365 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:58 pm

I have not tried this but I have been told if you put bleach on top of the ice is makes it clear and appears to be open water.
lag1365
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:31 pm

Search CL for an ice eater. I picked one up last season for $200 used 1HP. I need another one. They are out there. Takes about an hour to open a hole that is decent size. I can open a hole in the lake and birds are all over it for days. As for the snow cover, I don't see why that wouldn't work.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby mysticwolf » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:58 pm

I have heard of guys laying out black plastic on the ice and setting the decoys on it, the plastic loos like open water from the air, Thought about trying it, but haven't yet, I know in Indiana, you CAN NOT cut a whole bigger then 12"x12" so no one can fall through.
Love to watch um back peddel when the blind opens up
mysticwolf
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum