Is silver distracting?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Would a silver wrapper be bad for hunting?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes : 38

Is silver distracting?

Postby mmcmark » Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:42 pm

We're launching a new energy bar and we have three potential designs. One has red on a silvery background. Since we'd like hunters to enjoy our energy bars, I want to know if silver would be a problem for hunters (i.e., would it spook the prey if you pulled out an energy bar with a silver wrapper to eat while hunting?).

Thanks.
Last edited by mmcmark on Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mmcmark
Newb

Postby phillipstd » Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:51 pm

I don't eat a whole lot when I go hunting, realy if your packing food it's cause you arn't coming home that night, or just in case, and then it's in your pack so color doesn't matter, but maybe noise and or smell would be bad, and weight definatly needs to be light, maybe dehydrated or something, like an mre
phillipstd
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:22 am

Yes a silver wrapping would be very bad IMHO. I can see it now a silver wrapper getting blown out of my blind by the wind and flaring a flock of ducks :evil:

It should be 2 things-dull colored and quiet.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Live to Hunt & Fish » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:32 pm

I was kind of wondering if a small silver candy bar wrapper can spook ducks, then why doesn't the silver poll on a mojo. I am not saying it wont spook them i am just wondering.
Live to Hunt & Fish
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:25 pm

My poll is a non glare black.... some guys make there poles look like a stick poking out of the water.
And on the energy bars, I wouldn't go with the silver. It could become a problem.

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Silver wrapper may spook waterfowl,... answer in first post

Postby Poke Boater » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:41 am

mmcmark,

I'm extra careful about littering in the outdoors as most of us here are. I won't leave something out there that will out last my being there. I can hide anything including a silver wrapper. :thumbsup:

I wish the Emoticon selection included a Mallard drake. I saw one included in a site chosen by Time magazine as a top 50 web site to visit. :thumbsup:

Very nice duck hunting chat site this is. :thumbsup:

Poke Boater
#1 If a falling duck's head is "held up" shoot again.
#2 If a downed duck lays still on the water with it's head "held down" straight out and you detect ANY movement across the current or not with the wind shoot again.
Ouabache!
Poke Boater
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:47 pm

It doesn't matter what the color is. It will be in a pocket all the time.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby gotduck68415 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:59 pm

If you want us duck hunters to eat it you should make the wrapper camo.
Dont shoot where they have been, shoot where they are going.
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Sterling silver camo wrapper

Postby Poke Boater » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:13 am

This is not :spam: ,but I wonder where mmcmark went to? Did he go to Texas for March snow goose eradication :toofunny: , and decide to follow the geese back to the tundra in his new Tundra? I still wish there was an 'ole Mallard drake in the smilies. :umm: www.snopes.com has one.

That 4X4 is made 6 miles away, and soon to be from San Antonio, Texas . :salude:

gotduck68415

A camo wrapper would be a good idea. I'd like to see anything small that is littered in a big way,........camo. Start with plastic shopping bags and beer cans,......... :pissed:
Last edited by Poke Boater on Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
#1 If a falling duck's head is "held up" shoot again.
#2 If a downed duck lays still on the water with it's head "held down" straight out and you detect ANY movement across the current or not with the wind shoot again.
Ouabache!
Poke Boater
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:22 pm

If a red canoe , white outboard motor, or a stainless steel thermos won't make them flare then I doubt that a small silver candy bar wrapper will either unless it is being blown around. Most wild animals spook due to unexpected movement not colors.

keep the sport alive take a kid hunting/ fishing
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:17 pm

as long as its not waving around and moving to attract attention it shouldn't matter... but i like the idea of camo.......
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:19 pm

as long as its not waving around and moving to attract attention it shouldn't matter... but i like the idea of camo....... plus its the hunters own fault if they cant conseal a small wrapper. Plus scent of the bar itself may do something, doubtful but maybe, so eat duck or goose jerky... let em smell their cousins! then eat them too...
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:51 pm

i think the silver glare would spook ducks. seems like anything that was shiny would.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Hunting Gear Forum