Floating duck blind

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Floating duck blind

Postby 22moran22 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:52 am

Hey guys, just wanted to share the duck blind me and my buddy are building. It's not finished yet, but more pictures to come as we progress!
Attachments
image.jpg
Attaching hog panel
image.jpg
The finished frame
image.jpg
Starting the frame
image.jpg
The platform
22moran22
Newb

Re: Floating duck blind

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:22 pm

Looks like a neat Idea, I've seen those drums used for floating docks. I'd suggest maybe putting the drums on the outside of the frame for more stability and a lower profile if height is a concern. what kind of area will the blind be put in?
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby 22moran22 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:01 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:Looks like a neat Idea, I've seen those drums used for floating docks. I'd suggest maybe putting the drums on the outside of the frame for more stability and a lower profile if height is a concern. what kind of area will the blind be put in?

Thanks for the idea! It's mostly just on the barrels for mobility, when we hunt out if it, it will be either in very shallow water or pulled up a very sandy bank
22moran22
Newb

Postby duckstruck » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:16 pm

I used to love hunting out of a floating blind! Make sure it is wide enough and stable enough so that it won't flip over. That last thing you want is for it to flip over and be trapped inside. I heard of that happening in the Midwest somewhere.

Good luck with the rig when it is finished you should have a blast.
duckstruck
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:55 pm

Have built several and 8' is a minimum width IMO. 10' is even better. Any less and you will be rocking it for sure. 3-4 guys step up to shoot quick and you may flip it.
POKER1
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:13 am

it will lean to one side with the way you have the blind offset to one side. by the time you brush the blind and put guys in it, all the weight will be on top of one row of barrels. wider base is better. Cool project though, but you will more than likely need to make some adjustments to your design.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby T.Myers » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:23 am

I built a floating blind two years ago using 12 drums with the base being 10'X12'. Turned out to be very stable but still drops down in the front a few inches when 3 or 4 guys move to shoot at one time. Plan on installing brackets in the front to set a couple of spud poles to stop this. I'll see if I can upload a picture or two.
T.Myers
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum