wood type for blind in water

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

wood type for blind in water

Postby iluv83vettes » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:40 pm

I am wanting to build a blind that will be in water. Nothing huge and nothing fancy. This will not be a floating blind since we have a constant water level.

My main question is what type of wood should I use. I was looking at pressure treated lumber, but they aren't rated to be submersed in water. I want this to last for as long as possible. Should I just use the pressure treated wood and plan on replacing the "legs" after a few years?
iluv83vettes
Newb

Re: wood type for blind in water

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:14 am

Use treated wood and galvanized nails and it will last a very long time.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:18 am

wrap the legs in chicken wire if you think you might have beavers in the area..trust me..
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:24 am

Have zero experience with beavers eating treated wood blinds, but can't imagine chicken wire stopping a beaver on a mission. If they're an issue, I'd go with hardware cloth, which is also galvanized to last longer when wet.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:37 am

Just buy your treated 4x4 or whatever size the legs will be with .4 pounds per cubic foot retention which is for ground contact and fresh water immersion. The cheaper or less retention is normally .15 or .2 pcf which may suffice for ground contact but the higher retention treatment is for water submersion. Most all Lowe's, Home Depot or Menards (depending upon what is in your area) carries them.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby iluv83vettes » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:56 am

Thanks for the replies. I was pretty sure that the treated wood from HD and Lowe's would be fine.

We don't have beavers in our area. Just gators and yes they are still active during season this far south. I saw a group of them last weekend when I was scouting.
iluv83vettes
Newb

Return to Hunting Gear Forum