Wader advice

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Wader advice

Postby MRussell » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:19 pm

My son has decided he needs some waders. Problem is he wears a size 14 shoe, is 5'11" but only weighs about 140 lbs. Any advise on what would be the best set up for him?? I bought him a pair of drakes last year but when he tried them on, there was no way to be comfortable with all the excess material through the torso. . . . please help!!
MRussell
hunter

Re: Wader advice

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:04 pm

Get a boot that fits him and find a seamstress to modify the extra fabric. I know I would do it. Well, I have for other hunting clothing articles.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby handyandy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:05 am

Check out USIA waders you can different size boots with different size waders they don't cost much more than any other high end waders like drakes or whatever. If it were me I'd probably get him some that are a little loose since I would imagine at some point he probably get a little bigger. Here is a link to my review of them.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=302641
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby handyandy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:07 am

FYI their website kind of sucks and doesn't show nearly all the color options they have or what they can do to the waders I would suggest calling them to figure out what size he should have, that is if you go with them. I'm happy with mine so far.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby blackrock » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:50 pm

My son had the same issues, size 12 dogs and 145 lbs. I ordered him the teenage waders from Mack's and they are the best fit so far. All the other size 12 waders are even too big around for me and I'm 6 foot 195. Why do they think everyone with size 12 feet weighs 300 lbs? Anyways the waders we got are called Big Junior, $179 but it looks like they just go up to size 13.
blackrock
hunter

Postby rainingmallards » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:02 pm

That is a huge foot on a guy that size. Sounds like the Texas AM quarterback :yes:
rainingmallards
hunter

Postby MRussell » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:03 pm

Thanks guys for the advice. We went to sportsman's warehouse and he tried on about 10 pair. All seemed bulky to his slim build. He finally tried on a pair of the banded red zone breathable waders and they fit decent. The breathable obviously wasn't as bulky as the neoprene. He did decide the 13's fit better so that's what we got. Will let ya know what he thinks once they get wet!!
MRussell
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum