Hiding a layout blind

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Hiding a layout blind

Postby RShockley » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:27 pm

I have found a few good spots and the only issue I have is finding cover. All three spots are in small coves of a large lake. The water level is so low that it's just a flat muddy bank with no cover for at least 40 yards. Looking for tips on trying to hide in these conditions. This morning I tried a layout blind surrounded by tree limbs to make it look like an old brush pile that was there before the water dropped. I seemed to work ok but I was just seeing if anyone else has come up with ideas.
RShockley
hunter

Re: Hiding a layout blind

Postby staticarc » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:20 pm

Take a shovel with you and dig in. Make blind flush with ground .
Shoulda tried em that last swing...
staticarc
hunter

Postby RShockley » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:10 am

I might have to try that next time I go. The bank is pretty soft and muddy. Not sure if it the hole would not just collapse in on itself. Might try just mudding the blind up so it is the same color as the bank then placing some brush in it. Pile some mud up on the edges and it might just look like a hump on the ground. You think that might work?
RShockley
hunter

Postby Abomb » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:40 pm

One of our hunting areas is in a big draw down year. MUD for 100yds till water line. We just mud up the blinds and go for it, birds do not seem to care to much. Trying to set blind as so they do not cast a shadow is the major thing we try to avoid. Also we do not try to add tree limbs and such, just draws attention to your hide. The only thing we add is maybe some milfoil to the blind as it is all over the ground with a big draw down. Get you some rubber decoy gloves or broom, I like the broom and mud that thing up once you get it set up.Digging in, in this area is not an option. We also pray for snow. :yes:
Abomb
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:52 am

If it is someplace you hunt on a regular basis make several log/brush/grass piles allong the bank. leave them in place so the birds get used to them then when the day of the hunt comes incorporate your blind into the pile and they won't know the difference............
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Birdman7 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:24 pm

Abomb wrote:One of our hunting areas is in a big draw down year. MUD for 100yds till water line. We just mud up the blinds and go for it, birds do not seem to care to much. Trying to set blind as so they do not cast a shadow is the major thing we try to avoid. Also we do not try to add tree limbs and such, just draws attention to your hide. The only thing we add is maybe some milfoil to the blind as it is all over the ground with a big draw down. Get you some rubber decoy gloves or broom, I like the broom and mud that thing up once you get it set up.Digging in, in this area is not an option. We also pray for snow. :yes:

Any chance you have pics of the blinds in the field after putting the mud on them?
Birdman7
hunter

Postby Abomb » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:13 pm

Birdman7 wrote:Any chance you have pics of the blinds in the field after putting the mud on them?

Sorry, no. No field, along a river.
Abomb
hunter

Postby RShockley » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:31 pm

Found a good way to hide the blind this time. The water level has dropped a little more so now the is a ring of milfoil around the edges. Pulled up some of the dried milfoil from the other side of the cove and coves the blind with it. Also placed right up against a hill to help hide the profile a bit more. Worked ok great. One bird short of a limit. I could have easily limited but I was trying to make sure I had proper identification with some fog. A few times I even just let them land so I could get a better look.
RShockley
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:27 am

Hiding a layout is easy and quick. I use the same thing for my Hybrid. Get 4' wide plastic green garden fence. Cut the fence to the length of your layout with a hole for the doors. Tie raffia grass too it with 4" zips tie. Roll it up into a bundle and secure with velcro ties. It's very easy and light. I throw mine right on top of the decoys when I'm paddling my Hybrid. I would post a pic but I can't access Photobucket from this computer for some reason.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Garand » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:44 am

We hunt from layouts along lakes all the time, we just try to blend in as much of the natural grasses/weeds from the area and have never had a problem.

I think a lot of the time we as hunters are over thinking it, if you look at the shorelines of at least our area lakes you will see all sort of random man made stuff. Chunks of styrofoam broken free from boat houses, etc etc. My layout is pretty well covered with Raffia grass(just because I got a good deal on it) but my hunting partners are pretty much just bare blinds with local veg tucked in. Ducks still land in the decoys... Hell last year we started moving our blinds back because the ducks were landing too close!

If work didn't block my access to my photo sharing site I'd post a few pics.
Garand
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:24 pm

Birdman7 wrote:
Abomb wrote:One of our hunting areas is in a big draw down year. MUD for 100yds till water line. We just mud up the blinds and go for it, birds do not seem to care to much. Trying to set blind as so they do not cast a shadow is the major thing we try to avoid. Also we do not try to add tree limbs and such, just draws attention to your hide. The only thing we add is maybe some milfoil to the blind as it is all over the ground with a big draw down. Get you some rubber decoy gloves or broom, I like the broom and mud that thing up once you get it set up.Digging in, in this area is not an option. We also pray for snow. :yes:

Any chance you have pics of the blinds in the field after putting the mud on them?

Here was a thread on that subject that has some pics:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18035&hilit=Mudding+a+blind#p130220
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby redsled600 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:40 am

I use this ivy like grass that grows on the banks. its green but when waters low enough it dies a dark brown color and blinds up perfectly into the dark mud shore then I dig in a bit and its never failed. shot 2 limits on Tuesday in it
redsled600
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum