Filson Shmilson

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Filson Shmilson

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:22 am

What a joke.
I just got the catalog and it's page after page of obscenely overpriced nonsense. The wool stuff can stand up on it's own it's so thick..it looks dated and cumbersome....the waxed (and now "soyed") items are like being wrapped in a crinkly diaper..they are loud and don't breathe. I will be told that they will last forever...more bad news...now I have to be wrapped in a crinkly, loud diaper for the next 20 years!! $85 for rag wool FINGERLESS gloves? I'd be embarrassed to wear them. For a while, they were a company to aspire to own...things that you would be lucky to find under the tree ONCE every few years. Now, it's hipster, metrosexual ,bike-messenger gear for NYC...

bring it!
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Filson Shmilson

Postby kbooger » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:36 am

Their casual clothes IMO are funny. For people who are wealthy and want to look outdoorsy.

I mean $612 for a shirt?
http://www.filson.com/products/1912-cru ... oduct=1011

I think my entire hunting wardrobe was less than that.
kbooger
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:44 am

I mean...come on! That's disgusting...
As I got older and made more money..I went from long johns, to polar fleece, to Heat Gear...the same with coats from the Army/Navy store, to Gander Mountain and then to Columbia...but this stuff is so out of whack that it is an insult...
It's apple picking gear for New Englanders to see how white they can look...
(I did see a hat that I liked though).....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby NJGilbert » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:25 pm

I got the Mackinaw wool cap for Christmas a couple years ago. It looks pretty goofy and my friends call me Beetle Bailey but it functions pretty well on keeping my head warm.

I have a waxed cotton pheasant jacket from LLBean that was on sale for less than what Filson charges for a vest and I love it. I have heard that Bean has gone down in quality on a few of their items in recent years, but with their lifetime guarantees on their products and free shipping you really can't lose. When you call, you get a person and that person does what they can to help you and is usually pretty helpful.

If you are looking for Filson type things I would go LLBean. They have ridiculous stuff too ($75 cork decoys, camouflage "tote bags" good lord), but on the majority I'd say it's at least a good faith effort that won't require a second mortgage (their waterfowl blind intrigues me, but not enough to drop that kind of money on a blind that doesn't call ducks for you).
________________________________________________________________________________________
Never brag on your wife or your dog, or both will do everything they can to embarrass you.
NJGilbert
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:32 pm

My closet is full of Bean...I'm wearing a shirt and sweater of theirs right now. I wish they had good waders, THAT would be a great asset...a lifetime return policy for waders.
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby crazyhats5 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:50 pm

Pay for quality! All the filson I have has been great!
crazyhats5
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:56 am

crazyhats5 wrote:Pay for quality! All the filson I have has been great!

I think we would all agree there and you are right...however...
1) at least in the catalog I just got..I find everything either desperately retro (Gomer Pyle vs Elmer Fudd)...or trying to be NYC cool (and fail)..
2) paying for quality is an adage...$90 fingerless rag wool gloves is insulting

That being said....if I were a contractor who was outside all day long in the winter and needed a handsome vest that was going to go forever...I'd know where to get it
(Or a $90 hang tag for my luggage :no: :no: )
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Filson Shmilson

Postby hankyorke » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:49 am

LL Bean has a pair of $200 gloves.... What's the point?
All retailers carry very high end priced items because people will buy them. Capitalism.

Don't like it? Then don't buy it.
Cost is relative, like the guy above who thinks $75 is ridiculous. I was talking with a customer of mine last week who felt fortunate to "only" pay that for his Bean birds.
hankyorke
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:56 am

For the most part I agree. Most of their stuff is ridiculously overpriced. BUT - for anyone running bird dogs in the field, these two items are priced right and worth every penny. I've had mine for 6 years and after countless summers training and winters in the CRP grass out west, you cant beat them. I think even some retailers carry this stuff for even cheaper than what MSRP is now. That being said, I wouldn't be caught dead in a $490 wool coat.

Tin Cloth Chaps - $80
14021-main-242.jpg

Tin Cloth Upland Vest - $110
16017-main-242.jpg
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby BigGoonTuna » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:20 am

i just buy my filson stuff from their outlet store. got my USA made waterfowl jacket for $99. you're right about some of the customers, the people i see shopping there are either old timers that have probably used their gear for years, and the rest are hipster types from seattle with too much money.

the markup on their clothes is pretty huge. last place i worked(a saw shop) carried some of their clothes. i looked through the dealer catalog, MSRP is over double what cost is. we sold a lot of hats and tin pants though.
BigGoonTuna
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:21 pm

j.digiacomo wrote:For the most part I agree. Most of their stuff is ridiculously overpriced. BUT - for anyone running bird dogs in the field, these two items are priced right and worth every penny. I've had mine for 6 years and after countless summers training and winters in the CRP grass out west, you cant beat them. I think even some retailers carry this stuff for even cheaper than what MSRP is now. That being said, I wouldn't be caught dead in a $490 wool coat.

Tin Cloth Chaps - $80
14021-main-242.jpg

Tin Cloth Upland Vest - $110
16017-main-242.jpg

Agreed 100%
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:45 pm

BigGoonTuna wrote: you're right

Thank you.....
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:49 pm

OmegaRed wrote:Agreed 100%

You too! :yes:
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:50 pm

NJGilbert wrote: They have ridiculous stuff

I agree.. :lol:
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:45 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
OmegaRed wrote:Agreed 100%

You too! :yes:

Ya. I would never buy a sweater or other over priced crap...but the tin cloth chaps are in the top five best hunting investments ever made. And to think, I went 10 years getting pricked for nothing! Young and dumb...and these chaps will probably last another 20 years at least.
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby blackrock » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:45 pm

Yeah I'm with most of you guys. Love my tin cloth chaps, been hunting and riding in them for 15 years. Some if their stuff is ridiculous, just need to pick and choose. I also really like my waterfowl coat (going on 8-10 years) waxed and Shelter cloth I believe. I was bummed to see they don't seem to make it in camo anymore though, wanted to get one for my son.
blackrock
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:44 pm

Y'all could have my tin cloth chaps if I hadn't trashed them years ago in favor of lighter cordura that works as well without being so heavy it tries to pull the britches off my narrow tail. Or as cumbersome.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby berudd » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:51 am

It's funny what some people will pay for stuff. I just bought a Hunters Specialties blind bag for 23 bucks of Yahoo with free shipping. While Googling for more info on it I found an urban outfitter type of place selling it for 100. Funny.
berudd
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:19 pm

I would buy some if their stuff if I could afford it. I can't justify it even though I make a decent buck. Some if their stuff, they can keep. I Prefer modern materials and technology. Wool is great but heavy. It has a time and place. The waxed clothing and tin chaps have been surpassed by gore tex, fleece, polypropylene, cordura, etc. I'll wear Columbia any day over Filson.

But remember, you buy what you can afford. That is the reason Filson seems ridiculous to most of you.

Sent from my iPhone 5, which sucks my cojones. Don't buy one.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:05 pm

vincentpa wrote: I can't justify it even though I make a decent buck.

This is mainly what it boils down to for me too....I just couldn't justify it (and I completely agree with the rest of your post too)..
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:12 am

Slack Tide wrote:What a joke.
I just got the catalog and it's page after page of obscenely overpriced nonsense. The wool stuff can stand up on it's own it's so thick..it looks dated and cumbersome....the waxed (and now "soyed") items are like being wrapped in a crinkly diaper..they are loud and don't breathe. I will be told that they will last forever...more bad news...now I have to be wrapped in a crinkly, loud diaper for the next 20 years!! $85 for rag wool FINGERLESS gloves? I'd be embarrassed to wear them. For a while, they were a company to aspire to own...things that you would be lucky to find under the tree ONCE every few years. Now, it's hipster, metrosexual ,bike-messenger gear for NYC...

bring it!

vincentpa wrote:I would buy some if their stuff if I could afford it. I can't justify it even though I make a decent buck. Some if their stuff, they can keep. I Prefer modern materials and technology. Wool is great but heavy. It has a time and place. The waxed clothing and tin chaps have been surpassed by gore tex, fleece, polypropylene, cordura, etc. I'll wear Columbia any day over Filson.

But remember, you buy what you can afford. That is the reason Filson seems ridiculous to most of you.

Affordability: Filson always appealed to the upscale crowd, wealthy New England WASP duck hunters, & not so wealthy WASPs who wanted to show that they had "made it ".
Problem - that crowd is aging (us babyboomers) and dying (World War II gen). Filson is losing their market. What to do?

Answer - go for the nouveau riche city dwellers. Give them a taste of quaintness combined with the old school cache of the Filson name that gives them bragging rights and voila! New market! Company survives!!

This all started in the late '80s as the upscale yuppie crowd wanted everything quaint - without the dirt & grime of the country. Recall the "duck motif" craze. Did any of the urban lib chicks know that all of those "cute ducks" we're keeless decoys for gasp! hunting?

Then they moved to the country. Following sssslllloooowwww tractors. Worse - opening days! "Gunfire while I'm trying to sleep in! Those poor little animals! My wife's suffering PTSD! Oh what to do?" :crying:

Make more money; buy more land; post the land; join Mayor Against Illegal Guns; remind Muffy that the Filson catalogue just arrived. :rolleyes:
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:31 am

macdaddy wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:What a joke.

bring it!

vincentpa wrote:I would buy some if their stuff if I could afford it. I can't justify it even though I make a decent buck. Some if their stuff, they can keep. I Prefer modern materials and technology. Wool is great but heavy. It has a time and place. The waxed clothing and tin chaps have been surpassed by gore tex, fleece, polypropylene, cordura, etc. I'll wear Columbia any day over Filson.

Affordability: Filson always appealed to the upscale crowd, wealthy New England WASP duck hunters, & not so wealthy WASPs who wanted to show that they had "made it ".
Problem - that crowd is aging (us babyboomers) and dying (World War II gen). Filson is losing their market. What to do?

Answer - go for the nouveau riche city dwellers. Give them a taste of quaintness combined with the old school cache of the Filson name that gives them bragging rights and voila! New market! Company survives!!

This all started in the late '80s as the upscale yuppie crowd wanted everything quaint - without the dirt & grime of the country. Recall the "duck motif" craze. Did any of the urban lib chicks know that all of those "cute ducks" we're keeless decoys for gasp! hunting?

Then they moved to the country. Following sssslllloooowwww tractors. Worse - opening days! "Gunfire while I'm trying to sleep in! Those poor little animals! My wife's suffering PTSD! Oh what to do?" :crying:

Make more money; buy more land; post the land; join Mayor Against Illegal Guns; remind Muffy that the Filson catalogue just arrived. :rolleyes:

This ^^^
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:01 pm

Same crowd that whines about nothing being made in 'Mercia complains about quality product made in 'Merica that costs lots of money. I can think of lots of things for you to get your Asia made WalMart Phil Robertson signature panties in a bunch over.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby Kidney » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:05 am

Troutslayer wrote:Same crowd that whines about nothing being made in 'Mercia complains about quality product made in 'Merica that costs lots of money. I can think of lots of things for you to get your Asia made WalMart Phil Robertson signature panties in a bunch over.

A lot of their stuff isn't even made in the USA. Their waterfowl sweater says that it is imported.

I have some odds and ends of theirs that I bought on sale. I have a camo wool vest and wildfowl hat that I do wear every time I go hunting. I bought two other hats from them and the bills are all sewn on crooked. I sent one of the hats back and the hat I received was crooked as well.
Kidney
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:35 am

Kidney wrote:
Troutslayer wrote:Same crowd that whines about nothing being made in 'Mercia complains about quality product made in 'Merica that costs lots of money. I can think of lots of things for you to get your Asia made WalMart Phil Robertson signature panties in a bunch over.

A lot of their stuff isn't even made in the USA. Their waterfowl sweater says that it is imported.

I have some odds and ends of theirs that I bought on sale. I have a camo wool vest and wildfowl hat that I do wear every time I go hunting. I bought two other hats from them and the bills are all sewn on crooked. I sent one of the hats back and the hat I received was crooked as well.

That sweater is made in China.

Orvis is an example. Had all high end things made in "'Merica;" then came the yuppies. Likewise Eddie Bauer. These companies have seen their markets drying up. There has always been the "Walmart Phil Robertson" stuff, metaphorically. Sears, old Gaylord's dept. store, KMart - the "po' boys shopped there.

There are many unfortunate trends at work in the "hunting gear" business. Most folks want some measure of quality w/o breaking the bank; they save money for the guns. Companies know this & shop their work to China. Ask the younger folks on this site who just started hunting where they buy gear. They will give you current brand names. All made overseas.

If anyone can find US made items, buy them. I bought camo from Staffords. Cost me a bit. They're cotton, they work & wear like iron. Bought 'em 'cause they're old time camo. Haven't bought much more from them; can't afford much more. Compare Stafford's online catalogue someday to Cabela's. Same "push;" different markets.

Rich hunters (old money) always had their hunting clothes. Those who work had to buy theirs. Some went practical; others extravagant. Those on the edge grabbed khaki or olive drab clothes & took their chances. Things are only now beginning to change b/c some Northeast "upper crust" have joined the anti-gun anti-hunting crowd.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum