Filson Shmilson

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Re: Filson Shmilson

Postby Irishwhistler » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:21 am

I have a minimal numbermof Filson items, (one waxed cap). No need for a European style messenger bag (aka purse) :lol3: , I think I'll just stick with me cordura 4 MAX gunning bag. Trendy? NO, but I can fit a ton of stuff in it that I like to have with me while waterfowling.

Filson gear is sure to appeal to NYC yuppies that would not understand the real need for such gear if it bit them in the arse, but will snap it up like hot cackes because it is expensive so it has to be good and thus cool? Give me a break.

Like Orvis, Filson is stocking more and more imports. That only means the company buys for less, sells at the same rediculous prices while maximizing their profits, quality suffers, and more American's lose jobs. It does get harder and harder to buy quality goods made here in the USA, but I make every effort to do so.

I am a big supporter of the free market and capitialism as cornerstones of our free society, so I say it is ultimately up to the consumer as to what they chose to spend their dollars on. Mine will likely not be spent on Filson anytime soon.

Cheers Mates,
Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby handyandy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:57 am

Irishwhistler wrote:I have a minimal numbermof Filson items, (one waxed cap). No need for a European style messenger bag (aka purse) :lol3: , I think I'll just stick with me cordura 4 MAX gunning bag. Trendy? NO, but I can fit a ton of stuff in it that I like to have with me while waterfowling.

Filson gear is sure to appeal to NYC yuppies that would not understand the real need for such gear if it bit them in the arse, but will snap it up like hot cackes because it is expensive so it has to be good and thus cool? Give me a break.

Like Orvis, Filson is stocking more and more imports. That only means the company buys for less, sells at the same rediculous prices while maximizing their profits, quality suffers, and more American's lose jobs. It does get harder and harder to buy quality goods made here in the USA, but I make every effort to do so.

I am a big supporter of the free market and capitialism as cornerstones of our free society, so I say it is ultimately up to the consumer as to what they chose to spend their dollars on. Mine will likely not be spent on Filson anytime soon.

Cheers Mates,

Agree with you all the way. I probably would spend the money on one of their waterfowl sweaters if they were still made here and I knew the high price was for quality work done in here in the USA. But they're china made now and still cost 300+ that is pure BS in my opinion.
Irishwhistler
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:10 am

My waterfowl sweater from LLBean with windstop is as good as it gets...if anyone is looking for one...
Good price too with lifetime return policy...

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/66764?pr ... 0047744457
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:24 am

Putting the wind-blocking layer inside the insulating layer makes no sense to me, as it still allows raw air exchange in the insulation. Better than nothing, of course, but certainly not as efficient as having the blocked outside of the insulation.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:39 am

Slack Tide wrote:My waterfowl sweater from LLBean with windstop is as good as it gets...if anyone is looking for one...
Good price too with lifetime return policy...

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/66764?pr ... 0047744457

Mine's w/o windstopper. Still one of my best layers.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:21 am

Rick Hall wrote:Putting the wind-blocking layer inside the insulating layer makes no sense to me, as it still allows raw air exchange in the insulation. Better than nothing, of course, but certainly not as efficient as having the blocked outside of the insulation.

I wear it alone over a single base layer of another Bean shirt/skin thinsulate thing...then I wear my waders over that...so my chest, back and arms are all windproof. I also notice that the dark brown color catches the sun and warms that way too. When it gets really cold or precip, I skip the sweater and go for my Columbia widgeon jacked with heat shield...
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:26 pm

On the pricing- it used to be that they were higher because of the UNION label. As stated prior, not any more. It is a profit margin thing. Easy fix is to buy used. All but one of my filson items have been bought this way and most are 30 plus years old. A lot of these jackets just do not get used. Something interesting though, jackets/coats, older than about 20 years, are cut a lot roomier through the body. With the newer ones you can't hardly put a couple water bottles in the rear storage and still button the rear buttons. Maybe this has something to do with their "new" Seattle cut jackets? Anyways...I agree...they are way overpriced for what they are....mauser :wink:
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:49 am

Rick Hall wrote:Putting the wind-blocking layer inside the insulating layer makes no sense to me, as it still allows raw air exchange in the insulation. Better than nothing, of course, but certainly not as efficient as having the blocked outside of the insulation.

I feel the same way. Certainly not as efficient. I have the Cabelas Honker Sweater with windblocker. I got it for 60% off so I wasn't really disappointed with the windblocking qualities since I will always use it as a base layer under a windproof jacket. It's very warm. I wouldn't pay extra for the windblocker layer though.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby kray » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:29 pm

j.digiacomo wrote:For the most part I agree. Most of their stuff is ridiculously overpriced. BUT - for anyone running bird dogs in the field, these two items are priced right and worth every penny. I've had mine for 6 years and after countless summers training and winters in the CRP grass out west, you cant beat them. I think even some retailers carry this stuff for even cheaper than what MSRP is now. That being said, I wouldn't be caught dead in a $490 wool coat.

Tin Cloth Chaps - $80
14021-main-242.jpg

Tin Cloth Upland Vest - $110
16017-main-242.jpg

Absolutely agree... except, I'd recommend the double chaps with the zipper. After 10 years and numerous re-waxes, mine are properly broken in.
kray
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:04 pm

kray wrote:After 10 years and numerous re-waxes, mine are properly broken in.

That's a long set of sweaty nuts........
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Gear Forum