Hand Held Spotlights

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Hand Held Spotlights

Postby open door » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:35 pm

I bought a hand held spotlight from Bass Pro Shops and when I opened it, the instructions said it only ran for a couple of hours and had to be recharged which took like 20 hours. Does anyone know of one reasonably priced that will last several hours and when it's recharged it doesn't take so long? I need one to use duck hunting and will run it at least one hour each morning, need one to cut thru the fog and see logs in the creek. Thanks
open door
hunter

Re: Hand Held Spotlights

Postby BBK » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:12 pm

Fog + Spotlight does not work.

Get one with a cig lighter adapter and then wire in a female electronics (cig port style) to your boat.
BBK
hunter

Postby open door » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:26 pm

BBK wrote:Fog + Spotlight does not work.

Get one with a cig lighter adapter and then wire in a female electronics (cig port style) to your boat.

I have a pirogue with a trolling motor - at times it gets very foggy above the water at the right temperature, and sseveral logs in the creek I need to see. If you can recommend one please do so
open door
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:30 pm

Opendoor, Ill make a suggestion to you, find a Rayovac Indestructible 2 AA 100 Lumen Flashlight . These things put out a beam that's unbelievable. Theyre about the size of a duck call and I have mine on a call lanyard. I bought mine after a buddy showed me how well his cut thru fog and mist. The batteries seem to last a long time also, Ive set decoys 11 times and the light is still super bright. Also one of our hunting buddies is a city police man and after he saw how good of a beam these flashlights put out he replaced his gigantic 5 cell which always was a big pain in the ass with this one and now carries it in his pocket. I bought mine at Home Depot for 14.99
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby open door » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:01 pm

cluckmeister wrote:Opendoor, Ill make a suggestion to you, find a Rayovac Indestructible 2 AA 100 Lumen Flashlight . These things put out a beam that's unbelievable. Theyre about the size of a duck call and I have mine on a call lanyard. I bought mine after a buddy showed me how well his cut thru fog and mist. The batteries seem to last a long time also, Ive set decoys 11 times and the light is still super bright. Also one of our hunting buddies is a city police man and after he saw how good of a beam these flashlights put out he replaced his gigantic 5 cell which always was a big pain in the ass with this one and now carries it in his pocket. I bought mine at Home Depot for 14.99

Thanks, I appreciate it, and will look for one!
open door
hunter

Postby Garand » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:55 am

Garand
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:26 pm

open door, when you get one please PM your thoughts on the light to me, Id like to know what you think of it.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby Baker » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:11 am

I'll second those LED flashlights. I've gone thru several of those bass pro spotlights on my boat. Can't seem to find one that'll hold a charge. Picked up an LED shaped like an old mag light and never use the spotlight now. That thing throws some light for it's size. Not as much as the old 2M candlepowers, but does what I need even in open water. It runs off regular old C batteries, no charging needed.
Baker
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:16 am

Browning High Noon.

Bright, light, waterproof LED and not rechargeable.

Don't buy a rechargeable!
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:51 am

open door wrote:I bought a hand held spotlight from Bass Pro Shops and when I opened it, the instructions said it only ran for a couple of hours and had to be recharged which took like 20 hours. Does anyone know of one reasonably priced that will last several hours and when it's recharged it doesn't take so long? I need one to use duck hunting and will run it at least one hour each morning, need one to cut thru the fog and see logs in the creek. Thanks

I use this one. It is bright enough for me to run Erie. I bought a 5 dollar battery hook up which has prongs do I can connect it straight to the battery in my boats. Hope this helps

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cyclops- ... pot+lights
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby MJO21 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:05 pm

I have a rechargeable LED Black &Decker from Walmart $29. Recharges in a couple hours. Very bright, I use it on the Missouri River. I have used it for 3 trips and no sign of dimming.
MJO21
hunter

Postby Blindman2 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:58 pm

I too have a problem with running in a marsh in fog and my hand held floodlight just isn't doing the job. Just bought a Princeton Vizz headlamp with 165 lumin spotlight, a red function and flood function. I'll post up how it works after this weekend. Sure is impressive in the back yard.
Blindman2
Newb

Postby mudpack » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:11 am

open door wrote:I the instructions said it only ran for a couple of hours and had to be recharged which took like 20 hours. Does anyone know of one reasonably priced that will last several hours and when it's recharged it doesn't take so long? I need one to use duck hunting and will run it at least one hour each morning,

I think that 20 hour recharge is for a completely discharged battery; if you're only using it for one hour, a recharge shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 hours.
The one you have will run several/a couple of hours on a full charge, you said so. :huh: I know of no rechargeable that will run for more than a "couple of" hours of continuous "on" time.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Bib3773 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:08 am

Read this thread and picked up a couple of the Rayovacs, and very impressed with them so far. Good output. I bought them at home depot, but check your local Wal-Mart, I saw some there after I bought the ones at Home Depot, and they were 120 instead of 100, and the exact same price.

Thanks for the recommendation If they last I will be very impressed with this light, performance to this point is better than anything else I have tried.
I rode my stick horse to the store, if felt like I walked the whole way....
Bib3773
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:12 pm

In all of the years I have duck hunted, I can say I went through a boat load of spotlights and found none that I was really happy with including the ones that run on a 12v car battery. They all had their problems. Not long ago, I placed a link on DHC just like you did and someone suggested I try a particular model light. I picked one up and have never been so happy with a spotlight. It is made by either Stanley or Black & Decker. I found out in the process that they are the same company. The stanley version is yellow and the B&D is red. I got the red one a Walmart for $49. and it is a rechargeable. I have used it so far on about a dozen hunts and have yet to have to charge it. The light is LEDLIB Lithium ion LED Spotlight. You can find it on Amazon too. PM me if you have trouble finding it. It might seem pricey but worth every penny! As everything else on the market seems to be junk.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:34 pm

"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby shadowwalker » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:41 pm

http://www.batteryjunction.com/nitecore-ea4.html

Will fit in you pocket and takes AA's
shadowwalker
hunter

Postby Kidney » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:57 am

I keep two in the boat.

I have one Optronics Blue Eye that runs off 12v sockets. I ended up putting a new cord on it b/c the curly cord that it came with would pull out of the 12v sockets if you tried to stretch it out. It's a good light and is a little better in the fog as far as reflecting back.

The one that I use the most is a Streamlight Waypoint. It runs off of 4 C batteries and has the option to plug into a 12v outlet. The batteries have lasted me almost 2 seasons now. That said I'm not a real heavy user of spot lights. I use them to quickly scan ahead for debris and to locate channel markers. If by some chance you buy one, make sure you buy the one that comes in the box b/c you get a nice holder for it. The clam pack version just comes with the light.

Personal preference for me is to have a spotlight with a trigger switch instead of a button. On top of that, I like a simple on/off trigger switch. I hate having to cycle through different beam settings.
Kidney
hunter

Postby Cricket192 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:53 pm

I use the Stream light spot light. It takea 4 c cell batteries and last. I can go almost all season on one set a batteries. Its kind of pricey, but worth the money to me. I paid $65 for it 2 years ago and only have put 3 sets of batteries in it. And I use it for every thing.
Hunt with your kids today, and you want have to hunt for them tomorrow.
Cricket192
hunter

Postby jmscalf » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:11 pm

I know this thread is a lil old, but I just saw it and wanted to put my .02 cents in. I've got one of those stanley spot lights from lowes, it lasts a couple days on one charge. I was told about them by some east tx coon hunters who swear by them. So far ive had mine almost 2 years with no problems, plus I think it was like $30 and its small so it fits in my bag.
jmscalf
Newb

Postby Garand » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:33 pm

10gaOkie wrote:In all of the years I have duck hunted, I can say I went through a boat load of spotlights and found none that I was really happy with including the ones that run on a 12v car battery. They all had their problems. Not long ago, I placed a link on DHC just like you did and someone suggested I try a particular model light. I picked one up and have never been so happy with a spotlight. It is made by either Stanley or Black & Decker. I found out in the process that they are the same company. The stanley version is yellow and the B&D is red. I got the red one a Walmart for $49. and it is a rechargeable. I have used it so far on about a dozen hunts and have yet to have to charge it. The light is LEDLIB Lithium ion LED Spotlight. You can find it on Amazon too. PM me if you have trouble finding it. It might seem pricey but worth every penny! As everything else on the market seems to be junk.

Chris

I linked that other thread earlier in this one, but since pictures say 1000 words I'll link the image again too :biggrin:

/thread
Garand
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:44 am

Garand, thanks again for your leading me to purchase this light. It was your earlier link and pic that lead me to find one. After trying it out in the store, I knew it was the one. Its as close to perfection as I have seen. I am almost tempted to buy another one just incase I loose the one I have.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby MNH » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:50 pm

I have this and use it on the miss river. Love it, super bright never had a problem.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Vol ... 202486523#
MNH
hunter

Postby bojac » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:45 am

I have the wally world B&D too. Works great. Waterproof down to 6 ft.
bojac
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:19 pm

I just wanted to mention that just I picked up the 1M candlepower rechargable cordless spotlight from Harbor Freight as a spare since I forgot my spotlight on a friend's boat. I figured for $10 I'd give it a try. I'm really impressed by it! I took it out this morning and the beam reaches out 200 to 300 yards. I tested the battery life on this thing yesterday and it was going strong after a half hour. I think I'll use this as my primary from now on.
snapshotmd
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum