Wader problems

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Wader problems

Postby dl1340 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:56 pm

I bought my son a pair of waders a year ago from Mack's prairie wings. About two months into season he got a small tear in knee. Right before season ended they started leaking up high on opposite leg near crotch on seams. I finally got around to sending them back right before one year warranty expired. We'll two weeks later, rep from Mack's called and said waders couldn't be warranty because they had a small tear in knee, it about size of a pencil eraser and it not ripped all the way thru. Well after arguing that the tear had nothing to do with leak, waders where defective and leaking from seams. I also told them I would never buy from them again and was switching to cabelas. Mack's called back and made good and said they would replace waders with new pair but warranty would be good for two more weeks. We went this Saturday and he was walking out and said dad, my boot is filling up with wader. After he got back to truck and looking at boot on waders, looks like they came apart from a defect. My question, if Mack's will not replace because original warranty has expired can the boots be fixed. I really don't feel like dropping $200 to $250 on a new pair of waders. Sorry for long post
Attachments
image.jpg
dl1340
hunter

Re: Wader problems

Postby bass3859 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:49 pm

I have repaired holes in regular rubber waders with a bicycle tube patch, but this was on relatively flat parts of the legs. With that split right at the crease, it would be tough, but if you could bend it somewhat flat, you might be able to patch it yourself. Or take it to a tire shop and have them patch it.
bass3859
hunter

Postby dl1340 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:35 am

After talking with macks, they are going to warranty these waders. Spoke with guy at mack's prairie, they are a design problem in the boot. I will be either going with Cabellas 1600 or Lacrosse for my son. His first lacrosse pair went 3-4 seasons before he outgrew them.
dl1340
hunter

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:00 am

Might take a look at Rogers Toughman waders, they're on sale $149.00 but out of stock on my size. They're 5mm with reinforced knee and lined, reason I bring them up is I'm currently hunting out of Cabelas 1600 and have got to say I'm not impressed with them primarily because of the inseam length...but do like they're warranty though.

In a neoprene booted wader the weak link obviously is the rubber boot (for many reasons) along with crouch seam leaks, IMHO both problems have solutions, in my case crouch leaks are the result of to short of an inseam which creates a saggy crouch that puts unneeded stress on that location, as for the rubber boot , they should be reinforced with a Fiberglas mesh through out the boot and double reinforced at stress points.

Manufactors likely won't take these steps as this could effect sales :mad: as well as dent their bottom line.

Does anyone know of a company that will replace rubber boots on neoprene waders? (could be a business opportunity)

And yes I hunt out of breathables at times. However, I prefer the warmth of neoprene.
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby ugafx4 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:09 pm

For reattaching a boot, you may want to ask a SCUBA shop. They make neoprene dry suits with rubber boots similar to waders. If they work on dry suits, they may be able to do it. There are not many shops that do repair them, but if you find one you could be in luck!
ugafx4
Newb

Postby jsa » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:01 pm

I'd slather on some shoe goo and call it a day
jsa
State Moderator

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:33 am

ugafx4, your spot on with your recommendation I'm meeting with they're repair guy today. Now, will it be cost effective? Considering the quality of waders currently being made I feel like I might be willing to spend a little more to get exactly what I want.

IMHO shoeGoo is a bandaid which is a good short term fix, just not long term. And trust me in 35 years of fowling I've tried them all, Aqua this, 3M that, once a rubber boot starts breaking down its time to replace them. Or, buy a new pair of waders.
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby ugafx4 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:32 pm

Thanks Blackfoot Inc. I just happen to dive drysuits and talked to my drysuit guy in the past about if he could fix waders.

Staying on the scuba kick, I think if you wanted to do try a DIY repair a dry adhesive tape would work wonders. I have used this to fix my drysuit and have had no leaks 100+ feet under water. Google something like "dry adhesive drysuit tape". You use a blow drier or heat gun to activate the tape when it is in place and it will keep a seal. Run a bead of aquaseal around the seam and you are most likely good to go.
ugafx4
Newb

Return to Hunting Gear Forum