Waders

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Waders

Postby HARDKORE HUNTER » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:34 pm

I know this is a HUGE personal opinion BUT, I am looking to get a new pair of waders and I am debating between the Cabelas SuperMags and Mack's Prairie Wings 5mm Dura-Hydes? Any advice to either side is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for y'all's time,

Jeremy
HARDKORE HUNTER
hunter

Re: Waders

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:45 am

Free shipping on Cabellas now....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Chris6418 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:27 pm

I know its not one that you have listed, but I LOVE my Cableas Breatheables. I wasnt sure why everyone was raving the breathables until I purchased Cabelas. I wont ever go back to Neoprene unless I'm in some SERIOUS cold weather. Worth you taking a look at if youre not completely sold on the two that youre talking about
Chris6418
hunter

Postby airborneduckhunter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:34 pm

I purchased a pair of Macks Grand Prairie 5mm Waders last year and have beat the crap out of them and put probably close to 60 miles of walking in various terrain from fields and marsh to snow covered mountains here in AK and I absolutely love mine. I use them when I ride my 4 wheeler, been gold panning a couple times, walking through wooded areas and brush and of course duck hunting. 1000% satisfied with my purchase.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell
airborneduckhunter
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:41 pm

I've got a buddy that runs Cabela's who told me about them being awesome, and now both of my brothers and I are running Cabela's with no problems what so ever.

a total of 18 years of use on 5 sets of waders between the 4 of us.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:05 pm

I got 4 seasons out of my armor flex....they are done...good thing they are on sale
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:24 pm

Cabelas SuperMags are scheduled to be $169 for Black Friday. I have had mine since 2004 and no issues. A little smelly from the muck, but super warm in cold temps. I vote for the Cabelas. Their warranty blows, but most do anyways.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:31 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:Cabelas SuperMags are scheduled to be $169 for Black Friday. I have had mine since 2004 and no issues. A little smelly from the muck, but super warm in cold temps. I vote for the Cabelas. Their warranty blows, but most do anyways.

What the diff between the super mag 1600 and the 5mm armor flex...all this terminology is BS...i need warm and durable...not roll in broken glass in Alaska warm and durable....
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:39 pm

Thinsulate in the boots and cut of the waders. Warm and durable=SuperMags.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby HARDKORE HUNTER » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:06 am

I would get free shipping on both sets of waders. There is a $10 difference in price between the two sets of waders. Mack's are a little bit more expensive but I do like how their seams are filled instead of just taped. I'm not sure oh how the Cabela's seams are put together. The boots are what are going to sell me one way or the other! I want the most durable wader boot between these two sets of waders. I just bought my son the Mack's 5mm waders and I know the boots look like "Moon Boots" but I am sure that is just because of the insulation!

Thanks again for y'all's help and suggestions,

Jeremy
HARDKORE HUNTER
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:39 am

I believe Mack's seems would be better. I never had my leak though. Not sure if Cabelas changed the seams on newer versions.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby dl1340 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:01 am

Please see my post in wader problems. My son had the 3.5mm macks for 3 hunts and boot split. I took picture and sent it to macks and they are going to refund my $$$ for these. I talked to the guy at macks store in charge of waders and they made it sound like they had seen this before. I have 2011 pair of macks no problems, they changed design and manufactor this year on macks waders. The top of line macks waders uses same boot and design as the 3.5mm. I just ordered cabellas 1600 for my son, Wish I could have waited to black friday, could have saved $30, just called cabellas and they don't do a 30 days price match which sucks.
dl1340
hunter

Postby berudd » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:45 pm

I just bought the SuperMags and I like them. I'm 5'11" and 215 and got the standard size in 12, a size larger than my shoes, so I can wear thick socks if neccessary. They are roomy and comfortable but a little tall for me. Not an issue. Much easier to get in and out of then my old pair that was quite snug. I like the front pocket design and the shell holder seems like it will be handy. No more dumping them in my pockets. I have a place to put my phone and there is a mesh pocket for a hand warmer if you want. I have only worn them once and it was and afternoon in the 60s. I'll probably go with my old pair if I go out when it is that warm again. I walked around a bit checking a spot out. I was not carrying anything beyond shells and a gun and got hot fast. I did want warm waders so I am not complaining one bit. If you frequently hunt when it is say 50 or warmer they may not be the best option.
berudd
hunter

Postby handyandy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:18 pm

should have got these you wouldn't have regreted it.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=302641
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:17 pm

handyandy wrote:should have got these you wouldn't have regreted it.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=302641

Are you their Pro-staff now?!?! Plugging it every where.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum