Camp Stove or Portable Grill

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Camp Stove or Portable Grill

Postby snapshotmd » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:44 pm

Which would you prefer to bring out into the field with you, a 2 burner camp stove, or a portable grill? If grill, gas or charcoal?
2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Re: Camp Stove or Portable Grill

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:41 pm

small 2 burner propane camp stove is what we used when we hunted our private lake and permanent blind.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:00 pm

It really depends on what you are going to use it for. If I am going to grill I bring a gas grill. I like charcoal but I like the convenience of propane. For everything else I use a stove - making coffee, heating beans or soup or what ever, frying ...
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:53 pm

when hunting from a wagon a 5kg lpg bottle and cast iron ring works well for us, it has a small 3" ring with a large 8-9" ring around it so they both go on for big pot or to boil the billy but can simmer nicely with just the centre ring.
if back packing Ive now got an old primus 8R white spirits stove or use wee lpg bombs with screw on cooker the bombs also fit my wee lantern so it serves a dual role sort of. best part is we can use up those pesky part filled cans on the lantern.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:43 pm

Actually not sure what you mean by the"field". A blind? A boat? A deer camp? Or ???
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:57 am

California Sprig wrote:Actually not sure what you mean by the"field". A blind? A boat? A deer camp? Or ???

Ok good point. It's to take on duck hunts in a boat to the blind. Sometimes we'll stay on the boat, and sometimes we'll be in a ground blind. Reason why I'm asking is I've had the pleasure being on a duck duck bait with, get this, a microwave. Hot breakfast was the BOMB! Also thinking of doing full day hunts. For those of you who have cooked while duck hunting ice like some tips on equipment and stuff. Actually, this probably should've been the original post.
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby Hoosierace » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:16 pm

A stove. You definitely want some that you can turn off in a hurry if the ducks show up while you are cooking breakfast. I made a little kitchen kit that stays in the boat during duck season. It consists of a coleman dual fuel single burner stove, 4 plastic cups used as bowls (if you need some go to a DU banquet), silverware, a spatula, seasoning salt, and franks red hot. All of that fits into a plastic ammo can. For a pan I use an old non stick skillet, it doesn't rust and you can clean it up with a paper-towel. If we take breakfast we put our eggs, pancakes, or whatever into a water bottle before we leave the house.
Hoosierace
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:49 pm

Hoosierace wrote:A stove. You definitely want some that you can turn off in a hurry if the ducks show up while you are cooking breakfast. I made a little kitchen kit that stays in the boat during duck season. It consists of a coleman dual fuel single burner stove, 4 plastic cups used as bowls (if you need some go to a DU banquet), silverware, a spatula, seasoning salt, and franks red hot. All of that fits into a plastic ammo can. For a pan I use an old non stick skillet, it doesn't rust and you can clean it up with a paper-towel. If we take breakfast we put our eggs, pancakes, or whatever into a water bottle before we leave the house.

Good point on the dual fuel burner. Did a little research and found liquid fuel does better in freezing temps. Good idea on putting the mix in bottles.
2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby Hoosierace » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:44 pm

snapshotmd wrote:
Hoosierace wrote:A stove. You definitely want some that you can turn off in a hurry if the ducks show up while you are cooking breakfast. I made a little kitchen kit that stays in the boat during duck season. It consists of a coleman dual fuel single burner stove, 4 plastic cups used as bowls (if you need some go to a DU banquet), silverware, a spatula, seasoning salt, and franks red hot. All of that fits into a plastic ammo can. For a pan I use an old non stick skillet, it doesn't rust and you can clean it up with a paper-towel. If we take breakfast we put our eggs, pancakes, or whatever into a water bottle before we leave the house.

Good point on the dual fuel burner. Did a little research and found liquid fuel does better in freezing temps. Good idea on putting the mix in bottles.

Propane bottles are a pain. It can be tough to tell how much gas is left in the bottles and invariably I would forget to pack a spare. Yummy half cooked eggs! With the fuel stove i can hear the gas in the tank and top it off between hunts. The dual fuel stove has been outside in the boat overnight in below freezing temps the last 3 nights and it lit right up this morning.
Hoosierace
hunter

Postby handyandy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:32 am

x2 on the duel fuel they're awesome. I don't have one but it would be nice. I have a old three burner probabaly from the 50's or 60's coleman white gas stove. That thing puts out some heat and I much prefer the liquid fuel. The only thing that sucks about mine is I have to buy the camp fuel which isn't cheap but it's better than always going through little propane cans. I usually just use mine on blind hunts or field hunts when we just break at lunch and cook on the tail gate usually don't cook on the boat.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:38 pm

Depends on what you want to cook. For breakfast and other foods on the fly there is nothing better the coleman propane skillet IMO. No need for extra pots or pans.
POKER1
hunter

Postby t_baker » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:07 pm

I use a alcohol stove made out of 2 beer cans and "Heet" from Wal Mart. Fits anywhere and works great. We used to use a 2 burner Coleman until I built this little stove. A ounce or so of alcohol will burn about 15 minutes. I usually can cook breakfast for 4 or 5 in the same time I could with the Coleman.

t_baker
hunter

Postby whiskyjack » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:27 pm

Two burner Coleman with white gas on the tailgate or out in the canoe. Walk in to the blind etc. then I use a single burner mountain stove with propane. For a really long walk in I take my ultra light Pocket Rocket stove and a small canister of fuel, titanium cook ware, life is good.
whiskyjack
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:06 pm

I got my Coleman dual fuel stove yesterday. That thing puts out some heat! Made my lunch and dinner on it today! Word of warning; light match FIRST, THEN turn on the stove with match on burner. I almost lost an eyebrow the first time I lit it up! :lol3:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum