Knife Suggestions?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Re: Knife Suggestions?

Postby Old Guardsman » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:29 am

I've been using a Buck 102 for a number of years - just breasted a mess of ducks earlier this week with it - small, fillet type blade, but stiffer. OG
Old Guardsman
hunter

Postby drake45 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:29 pm

Gerber caping knife
drake45
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:47 pm

I use a 30-plus year old Rapala fillet knife that has cleaned far more ducks over the years than fish. You want a somewhat flexible blade with a narrow width. Length is not nearly as important (in this case :rolleyes: ).
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby RShockley » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:41 pm

I went ahead a bought a Havalon Piranta to try out. I got the bolt model so I can try both blades. I guess we will see how it works. I really like the interchangeable blades. I was unfortunately never that good at sharpening blades.
RShockley
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:30 pm

go to a knife sharpening bizzness ....they often have knives that a restaurant cant use any more and can grind the blade to whatever u want!!!! cost effective too!!
:beer:
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:03 pm

I keep my blades sharp using Lansky
AR Dave
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:35 am

btw574 wrote:I have the Buck Waterfowler knife and love it. I used a fillet knife for a long time but I like the shorter blade of the Buck as it gives me more control for breasting out birds.

x2... LOVE my Buck Waterfowler! :thumbsup:
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:55 am

Old Guardsman wrote:I've been using a Buck 102 for a number of years - just breasted a mess of ducks earlier this week with it - small, fillet type blade, but stiffer. OG

Same here. The 102 has been about as close to perfect as I have found for working on critters of all sizes.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Huskers2024 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:29 pm

I received a havalon piranta for Xmas and cleaned birds with it today, best knife I've ever used.
Huskers2024
hunter

Postby RShockley » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:13 pm

Huskers2024 wrote:I received a havalon piranta for Xmas and cleaned birds with it today, best knife I've ever used.

I did the same today for the first time with the Piranta and have to agree. Best knife I've used for waterfowl! Interested in seeing what it does with hogs next week.
RShockley
hunter

Postby bighop » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:14 am

My favorites have been the caping knives. Really liked the paklite caping knife from Buck, it's short bladed, long handled, lightweight skeletonized all metal design meant I never had a problem with grip while hands were wet and bloody from cleaning.

Wish I hadn't lost the damn thing.

Now I have a Gerber Myth Caper (as part of the field dressing kit,) which is nice because there's a sharpener built into the sheath.
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby Irishwhistler » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:23 am

Still using my Buck "Bird" Knife only made a ew years around the very late 70's to very early 80's, then it went out of production. The knife of pocket style folder design featured one perfect blade and a "gut hook" designed for the cleaning of gamebirds. I at some point broke the gut hook and sent it back under Buck's Forever Warranty for repair. The knife was fixed, sharpened, and was returned to me in far less that the time originally estimated. The knife got shipped back at no charge for return shipment and with a 25% discount voucher for any future one time Buck knife purchase. Outright fantastic knife for breasting out pheasant, ducks, and geese. Simply incredible customer service / support. :thumbsup:

Good "Breasting" To Ye, :grooving:
Irishwhistler
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby jdenny21 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:35 pm

I have a Cutco folding lock blade knife with a 2 1/4" blade that is serrated with a green handle; it is by far the best cleaning knife I've used on both ducks and geese. Best part is I believe it came free with a set of my mother's Cutco kitchen knives, not 100% on that as I inherited it from my dad.
jdenny21
hunter

Postby Windrider » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:57 pm

I use a buck lite max in the small size.

Standard drop point knife, just small and light.
Windrider
hunter

Postby smhclason » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:16 am

mora companion
also seen as morakniv
get the carbon steel, the stainless doesnt rust but its not as durable
It will cut through anything
they are only like thirteen bucks. best deal in all of the outdoor world
great blade length
never heard of it?
watch dual survival with cody lundin
Hickenlooper sucks!
smhclason
hunter

Postby Curls-and-Bands » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:26 pm

All I carry anymore are Case xx knives. Got a Peanut and a Stockman for Christmas and used the peanut to clean some birds yesterday. It worked great but a little smaller than I like for cleaning birds. Their clip blades are about perfect for the task. I know they have a dedicated model for cleaning birds with a hook and I might try to find one of those. I also have a havalon that I got during deer season and loved it for gutting deer. Never even crossed my mind to use it on birds. Guess I'll have to try it out this weekend if the birds cooperate
Curls-and-Bands
hunter

Postby don novicki » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:33 pm

One word..........Cutco. Check em out. :thumbsup:
don novicki
hunter

Postby zoutly » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:18 pm

benchmade for me, those knife hold a razor sharp edge for weeks and they come in ever size you might need
zoutly
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Gear Forum