Help, hole in waders

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Help, hole in waders

Postby preacherdan » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:25 pm

So heres the deal, ive got a hole in my waders that i actually enjoye this year during early teal season, but now that temps are dropping down into single digits , its absolutely miserable. I have patched my waders before and it was simple and worked great, but i cannot find this hole for nothin, my right foot is completely drenched from my calf down, and i was wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks to finding pin holes, or maybe where the wader meets the boot is ripped, idk... I thought about filling it with water and hoping i could see it seep out, ive heard of guys dropping a flashlight down and being in a dark room seeing the hole... Im thinking the water would be the most fool proof but im goin back out tomorow and dont want to soak the suckers completely before i go... Any advice will be appreciated
Thanks and God Bless
preacherdan
DHC Sponsor

Re: Help, hole in waders

Postby Cujo1 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:28 pm

Sounds like the boots are cracking or the seam is leaking where the boots are put on. I usually just fill the waders and find the leak, but like you said they will be wet and won't dry before tomorrow. Even if you do find the leak most sealers won't be fully cured by tomorrow. Shoe goo or aquaseal is your best short time alternative. 3m 5200 is your best long term cure, but it takes 7 days to cure unless you can find the fast cure 24 hour stuff. Sounds like you need a new pair of waders.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:05 pm

for a short alternative so you can go tomorrow, go to a walgreens and buy flex seal. Spray the whole leg of the waders from where you said you are getting wet. I believe you said your calf, so anyway spray the whole leg from above calf down. spray a lot. It dries quickly. its a crapshoot, but it might work.
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:07 pm

I tried the flex seal and it didnt do so hot.. Peels right off after you wear em a time or two. If and when you do find the leak sand and add a patch (if on boot) like you would a bicycle tube with aqua seal. I duck tape the patches on for a day or so to help them glue appropriately. If its a crack or in the bottom time to get the wallet out.
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby btw574 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:42 pm

you will need two thing to find the holes, a shopvac and a tub filled with water. Take the hose from the shopvac and hook it to the exhaust and use it to blow up the leg of the wader while it is under the water and you will see air bubbles coming out of any hole in them
btw574
hunter

Postby Durbin80 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:15 pm

I had the same problem this year.throw them in your bath tub fill them up with water and watch for where the water comes out... I used silicone caulk on the inside of the waders and flex seal on the outside. Worked great
Durbin80
hunter

Postby preacherdan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:00 pm

Found the hole it was a 2 inch long cut in the boot and you couldnt see it unless you mashed the boot together and then it was visible, and yesterday i found a hole in my other boot!
preacherdan
DHC Sponsor

Postby Durbin80 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:43 am

Same here my boots cracked silicone works wonders man
Durbin80
hunter

Postby sharris » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:53 am

I also had leaky boots recently (I found the crack with a flashlight in a dark room). I patched mine with shoe goo and a piece thin rubber that I also covered in shoe goo. It's holding so far and I am hoping will let me finish out the season.
HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2014-15 Season
Duck: 24
Geese: 1
Dove: 4
Pheasant: 42
sharris
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum