Re-waterproofing a jacket

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Re-waterproofing a jacket

Postby deliriousII » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:12 pm

After a couple of seasons, it seems that my hunting jacket's "waterproof" quality is starting to subside a little. It is still pretty water resistant for the most part but rain seems to saturate it now instead of beading off like it used to.

Are there any products out there that I can apply to bring the jacket back to it's former glory?
quack addict
deliriousII
hunter

Re: Re-waterproofing a jacket

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:45 pm

I've used this combo with good result on some Drake EST stuff that was a sponge without it: http://www.rei.com/product/783563/nikwax-hard-shell-outerwear-care-kit
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Abomb » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:50 pm

If Gore-Tex, yes. First though, are you sure water is getting in or are you "wetting out" the inside of the jacket? Gore-tex needs to breath to perform. If it is "wetting" you need to restore the DWR on the outside of jacket. Use Nikwax Tech Wash to wash the jacket, then apply TX-direct. Put jacket in dryer on as high a setting as the jacket label will allow. I do this to my hunting jacket at the beginning of every season. Just did mine and my wifes ski clothes. Water just beads up and runs off the outside.
Abomb
hunter

Postby Abomb » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:53 pm

Rick Hall wrote:I've used this combo with good result on some Drake EST stuff that was a sponge without it: http://www.rei.com/product/783563/nikwax-hard-shell-outerwear-care-kit

They spray on DWR performs better than the wash in, in my experience.
Abomb
hunter

Postby deliriousII » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:07 pm

Abomb - it's definitely coming from the outside. It is a two layer (inside and outside) jacket type that zip together. I've sweat in it and don't get wet, only get wet when it rains
quack addict
deliriousII
hunter

Postby Abomb » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:17 pm

Sounds like the goretex is failing. You can try the above wash and apply method, it should help. If not then the goretex has broken down causing the leaks. That is not fixable that I know of.
Abomb
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:25 pm

Iron it without steam. You'll be amazed at what a difference it makes.

It reactivates the DWR and you'll have to "scrub" water into it, to get the fabric to wet out.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby rrconductor » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:06 pm

If your coat is waxed cotton like mine ,I use Filson,s wax once a year, sun and hair dryer are your friends.
rrconductor
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum