Help! Lacrosse Ice King boots?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Help! Lacrosse Ice King boots?

Postby macdaddy » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:37 am

I hunted geese on Saturday up here in W. Pa. Temp was 17 degrees F, no wind. I was wearing liner socks, topped w/ army surplus socks, topped w/ thermal acrylic socks in uninsulated leather top/rubber bottom boots. Uncomfortable.

Started looking in the catalogues; saw Lacrosse Ice King boots in Bean. Any of youns have any experience w/ these? They seem like boots that will keep warm if you're standing still. Cabela's Polar Cap Pac? Same as the Ice King except that the Ice King has 400grams Thinsulate. Both have an insulated sole (Ice King has a midsole as well) & a removable liner. Help, fellows! Guess I have cold feet!
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:53 am

Don't know about the ice king's specifically, but I bow hunt in lacrosse rubber 1000gram boots and they definately do the job. Went with the rubber for the scent control needed for bowhunting and found out they are warmer than any other boot I've worn.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby donell67 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:03 am

for 17 degrees i would suggest at least 1000 grams of thinsulate. i dont think 400 grams will keep your feet warm. i have some 800 grams boots they do a pretty good job. but its not usually that cold either.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Admin2 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:19 am

I agree, get at least 800 grams if not more. I have some Lacrosse I use for deer hunting where I'm standing still a lot in cold weather. They are bulky and you sure would not want to be walking around alot in them, but they are made for cold weather inactive activites. For walking around like pheasant hunting, insulated leather gortex boots are much better suited. As for removable liners-a great hing as you dry them out over night easily for the next days hunt. :thumbsup: BTW I would imagine that the cold weather gear should be going on sale shortly, if not already on sale. :thumbsup:

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby Wags » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:28 am

From the sound of the type of boot you were wearing (not nearly enough), plus the all the socks, your feet probably started sweating before they became cold which made it worse......

I wear one pair of quality socks, and Lacrosse Burly (Rubber) 800gr Thinsulate hunting boots. More than enough to around zero temps.

I have a pair of Lacrosse Ice Pac type boots I purchased 17 years ago. Rubber lower, leather upper with quilted inserts. Best hunting boot I've ever owned!

The trick to warm dry feet is finding quality socks first that don't make your feet sweat.

Lacrosse is a top of the line hunting boot. You pay for them, but they are worth every penny.
Wags
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:38 pm

Another thing to try is a polypropalene (sp?) sock underneath a single good pair of insulated socks. These socks wick the moisture away from your feet should they start to sweat. They seem to help alot.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:36 pm

I agree with gsphunter. The key to any cold weather hunting is layering, whether it be your feet or the rest of your body. A liner sock underneath a wool sock(and for me its always a pair of wool socks when hunting) is essential. Wool is an all around good material as it still retains heat when wet. It is important to wick the moisture away from your skin, and the poly-pro socks are made to do just that. Even if your feet do get wet the wool will do the work! Concerning the rest of your body, this is why that Underarmour gear is selling so well. Layer, layer, layer. It can't be said enough. as far as the boot goes, I wish to echo the previous statements; 800 gram thinsulate is the minimum you should consider in the temperatures mentioned (17 degrees F)
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:31 am

And what the above posts are not directly saying is this: Do not wear any cotton-or cotton blends. Whether it be socks or a t shirt, cotton is worthless in cold weather as it has more drawbacks than pluses. Acrylic is another good material, wicks moisture away, dries easily, high loft for warmth, etc... I use acrylic socks and wool socks combo, works well. My long underwear are Acrylic and/or Polyester which wicks moisture away and again dries easily. :yes:

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Return to Hunting Gear Forum