ZIPPERED WADERS

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

ZIPPERED WADERS

Postby O.D.Lid » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:30 am

:rolleyes: Well after 7 years my "bargain basement" Herter's waders have failed in the boot part so I am in the market for a new pair. Been thinking of a zippered pair. Any body have any luck with these? :help:
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Re: ZIPPERED WADERS

Postby dirtypete » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:08 pm

I have a pair of Cabela's zippered neoprene waders. Loved the convenience, but will not be getting them again as they just didn't last. I got two seasons out of them before they started leaking and the reviews on Cabela's website are not favorable either. There may be another brand that holds up better. I will stick with Cabela's just not the zippered ones. Good luck.
dirtypete
Newb

Postby Idaho Mike » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:54 pm

Been wearing zipper chest waders for the last 8 years and have never had a problem with the zipper's leaking. From my experience the boots always leak before anything else because of poor rubber. I'm currently wearing the Cabela's Dry Plus breathable with the 600 grs insulation in the boots and could not be more pleased with them. I will never buy another pair of neoprene chest waders again. If you try the zipper chest waders you will never go back to the non zipper ones :thumbsup:
Idaho Mike
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:59 pm

I like em'.

I've got a pair of Simms G4Z's that I absolutely love.
I ought to, since they cost $800.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby handyandy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:07 am

USIA can make zippered waders the zipper adds a lot to the cost though. Just call or email them with what you want the website sucks if you talk to them they will help you figure out what you want.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby sharris » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:05 pm

My buddy I hunt with has a pair of cabelas's zippered waders. They are the neoprene ones with the brushguard. He bought them in 2007 or 2008. The boots are starting to dryrot at the top but the zipper isn't leaking.
HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2014-15 Season
Duck: 20
Dove: 4
sharris
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:41 pm

A bunch of us (~5 seasons ago) bought a potload of the Converse/Hodgeman waders/hippers when Coleman bought them out and had the huge on-line sale.

Two (2) of our guys got their zippered neoprene model.

One had the zipper break the 3rd season and the other guy's leaked after the second season.

IMO, somehow, a zipper on chest waders conjurs up the idea of screen doors in a submarine. :wink:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Idaho Mike » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:18 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:IMO, somehow, a zipper on chest waders conjurs up the idea of screen doors in a submarine. :wink:

Once Again Clueless :yes:

Hodgeman waders=JUNK :lol3:
Last edited by Idaho Mike on Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idaho Mike
hunter

Postby Idaho Mike » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:20 pm

sharris wrote:My buddy I hunt with has a pair of cabelas's zippered waders. They are the neoprene ones with the brushguard. He bought them in 2007 or 2008. The boots are starting to dryrot at the top but the zipper isn't leaking.

In most cases the zipper will outlast the boots. :yes:
Idaho Mike
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:02 am

Idaho Mike wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:IMO, somehow, a zipper on chest waders conjurs up the idea of screen doors in a submarine. :wink:

I sold/used Converse/Hodgeman waders in 1975 and they (along with Uniroyal Redball) were the top two brands. The pair I had lasted from 1975-1986. IMO, you are not only "clueless" but full of it as the Christmas Goose with an attitude & demeanor from the same origin.

FSH Pro Staffer

Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Idaho Mike » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:25 pm

I sold/used Converse/Hodgeman waders in 1975 and they (along with Uniroyal Redball) were the top two brands. The pair I had lasted from 1975-1986. IMO, you are not only "clueless" but full of it as the Christmas Goose with an attitude & demeanor from the same origin.[/quote]

If you had a pair of Hodgeman waders that lasted you 11 years :eek: they must have sat in the closet for 10 of them :yes:

Like I said before, Clueless :hammer:
Idaho Mike
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:43 pm

I don't have zippered waders and ordinarily would think that they would be likely to leak in the zipper. Then I thought they have had zippers in dry diving suit for 50 + years. My friends who have the dry suits have never had a problem with their suits leaking. So I think they probably work just fine and would sure make getting in and out of them a lot easier.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:37 am

Idaho Mike wrote:I sold/used Converse/Hodgeman waders in 1975 and they (along with Uniroyal Redball) were the top two brands. The pair I had lasted from 1975-1986. IMO, you are not only "clueless" but full of it as the Christmas Goose with an attitude & demeanor from the same origin.

If you had a pair of Hodgeman waders that lasted you 11 years :eek: they must have sat in the closet for 10 of them :yes:

Like I said before, Clueless :hammer:[/quote]

IMO, all you've accomplished is illustrating to the world that you cannot distinguish a hole in the ground from your own hiney.

Why not add something substantive instead of showing everyone what a class A jerk looks like?

FSH Pro Staffer

Yuchi1
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:26 am

My son bought a pair of zippered waders from Cabelas despite my advice. They lasted one whole season before leaking at the zipper. After that, he tends to listen to my advice and has not bought another pair with a zipper. If you dont want the rubber in the boot foot to hold up, give them a good treating with Armorall at seasons end. I have found that my blind heater really dries out my rubber boot feet in my waders. I keep them in good shape with the Armorall.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:56 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:
Idaho Mike wrote:I sold/used Converse/Hodgeman waders in 1975 and they (along with Uniroyal Redball) were the top two brands. The pair I had lasted from 1975-1986. IMO, you are not only "clueless" but full of it as the Christmas Goose with an attitude & demeanor from the same origin.

IMO, all you've accomplished is illustrating to the world that you cannot distinguish a hole in the ground from your own hiney.

Why not add something substantive instead of showing everyone what a class A jerk looks like?[/quote]
Well the three pairs of hodgeman waders I've had and my son's hip boots all of been total crap. The boots are total JUNK
Park Duck
hunter

Postby Idaho Mike » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:35 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:

Why not add something substantive instead of showing everyone what a class A jerk looks like?[/quote]

I think your doing a pretty good job at that :fingerhead: :lol3:
Idaho Mike
hunter

Postby Idaho Mike » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:37 pm

California Sprig wrote:I don't have zippered waders and ordinarily would think that they would be likely to leak in the zipper. Then I thought they have had zippers in dry diving suit for 50 + years. My friends who have the dry suits have never had a problem with their suits leaking. So I think they probably work just fine and would sure make getting in and out of them a lot easier.

BINGO! :beer:
Idaho Mike
hunter

Postby Idaho Mike » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:45 pm

Well the three pairs of hodgeman waders I've had and my son's hip boots all of been total crap. The boots are total JUNK[/quote]

Same here!

All 3 pair of Hodgeman chest waders I've owned the boots have all cracked & leaked after 1 year of limited use. I store them on boot hangers upside down in my garage & it makes no difference the rubber in the boots is garbage :yes:
Idaho Mike
hunter

Postby Idaho Mike » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:02 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:
Idaho Mike wrote:

I sold/used Converse/Hodgeman waders in 1975 and they (along with Uniroyal Redball) were the top two brands. The pair I had lasted from 1975-1986. IMO, you are not only "clueless" but full of it as the Christmas Goose with an attitude & demeanor from the same origin.

After reading your comments here & the ones you made about Sitka Gear, there's no doubt in my mind that your Clueless. :yes:
Keep on buying those awesome Hodgeman waders & that rubber rain gear your so much in love with. :lol3:
Idaho Mike
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:29 pm

Easy there, Mike. Yuchi may come across a jerk sometimes, but he's not a clueless jerk...... :fingerpt:

:biggrin:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Legband#1 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:49 am

I've been wearing Cabelas Zippered waders since they first came out and never had a leak .
But I have worn several pairs out due to boots cracking.
My usage is above average I hunted 95 days last waterfowl season.
However it was the use that wore them out it was the aging on the boots as they hang while drying out.
I started treating them with rubber conditioner and remove them from the boot hanger as soon as dry and this has increased my wader life.
I always have two pairs , so I have a backup if I need to patch a pair and this year when I ordered a new pair I was told the zippered model were discontinued.
I didn't shop around much I just bought a the new single strap style but I am going to start looking as I really enjoy the convince of the zipper when needing to take a leak.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:27 am

Idaho Mike wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:
Idaho Mike wrote:

After reading your comments here & the ones you made about Sitka Gear, there's no doubt in my mind that your Clueless. :yes:
Keep on buying those awesome Hodgeman waders & that rubber rain gear your so much in love with. :lol3:

I certainly will, sir...and you, keep on keeping on with your love affair, with yourself. :hi:

Yours Truly,
"Clueless" in Oklahoma

Muddy,

Thanx, Bro' for covering my jerk status! :yes:

FSH Pro Staffer

Yuchi1
hunter

Postby handyandy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:55 am

USIA can put zippers on their waders. The zipper adds a lot of cost as they use the same zipper on waders as they on their dry suits they make. So it is a good quality zipper I would be willing to bet that is much better than anything cabelas or anyone else uses since they make dry suits for the military. So if you really want a zipper and waders that come with a real warranty and will last I'd call or email them asking them about what you want. Unfortunetly their website isn't the best talking to them directly is your best bet at figuring out what you want and what they can do.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:43 am

Bought a pair of the Hodgeman breathable stocking-foot when Academy had them on clearance 2 years ago for $14. The only issue I have with the zipper is they don't zip all the way to the top anymore; they stop about 2" from the top. I have never had water leak from the zipper, and just starting to get leaks in the stocking-foot part. They ought to last me another season and I don't see any other problems with the zipper. They are very convenient when you got to take a pi$$ and if you get hot you can stand facing into the wind and zip them down to get some air flow. I am pretty tough on them but am happy with how long they have lasted so far.

:beer:
agengo02
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:29 am

I have two pair of Hodgeman zippered. Love them, they are both about 4 years old.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum