Help fixing neoprene glove seams

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Help fixing neoprene glove seams

Postby sharris » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:02 am

I have a pair of Avery gloves that I think I bought about a year ago and just about all of the seams are splitting. I normally use fleece gloves so these ones barely get used. I think the glue was defective? Is this repairable? Does the old glue have to be cut off first before trying repairs? Should I try neoprene cement or aquaseal or something else?

sharris
hunter

Re: Help fixing neoprene glove seams

Postby handyandy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:21 am

There are no good neoprene gloves out there. I have had two different pairs ones from bass pro originally meant for fishing and another the avery pair. Neither lasted more than a season before the seams leeked. You can try and fix them, but they will more than likely leak again shortly after. The neoprene gloves are all just junk in my opinion.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby handyandy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:32 am

good thread with a bunch of different links to tons of options

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=330042&p=3244738&hilit=decoy+gloves#p3244738
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:55 pm

All neoprene gloves leak after the first year. It's a fraud. I have PVC gloves but they are too big. I don't gave any dexterity. Goretex gloves aren't much better. Even the good pairs only last a couple of seasons. My new strategy is a new pair of goretex gloves at the end of every season on big mark down sale.

Sent from my iPhone 5, which sucks my cojones. Don't buy one.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Hoosierace » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:56 pm

I found a great way to take care of the leaking seams on my neoprene gloves.

Step 1: by other gloves, trying to stop the seams from leaking is an endless task.

Step 2: you paid good money for that camo neoprene use it for something else.

image.jpg
Shell holder made from cuff

image.jpg
Thumb used as a pocket holster for NAA revolver
Hoosierace
hunter

Postby Hoosierace » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:03 pm

vincentpa wrote:All neoprene gloves leak after the first year. It's a fraud. I have PVC gloves but they are too big. I don't gave any dexterity. Goretex gloves aren't much better. Even the good pairs only last a couple of seasons. My new strategy is a new pair of goretex gloves at the end of every season on big mark down sale.

Exactly, i am trying the under armor skysweepers this year which appear to be fleece lined goretex gloves dipped in some sort of pvc (?). For the cost I am hoping to get a couple seasons out of them. So far so good.
Hoosierace
hunter

Postby sharris » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:45 am

Well, thanks for the help. I guess I'll just look for another pair of gloves.
sharris
hunter

Postby kbooger » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:14 am

I've used shoe goo but it hasn't really held up, well that or the gloves are constantly springing new leaks.

I look at neoprenes as a warm weather decoy pickup glove. I don't like paddling out with them because my hands sweat and then when you go to use them later they are freezing cold since the sweat inside the glove might freeze if it gets cold.
kbooger
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:29 pm

I have had good luck and no leaks with Neo Game Winner gloves from Academy Sports. I had one pair for about five seasons and lost one of the gloves. I recently ordered another pair online because they were sold out in my local Academy stores. These gloves are $9.95 and will cost you about $15 total to have some shipped to your door. I am sold on them from the use I got out of my first pair. They only come in a drab brown color but mine did not leak. Oh yeah, they are fleece lined. They are just listed as Men's hunting gloves on their website. These are the only neo gloves I have owned. I really had no idea about the leaking problems that were occuring with other brands.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby sharris » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:49 pm

Thanks! I'll check those out.
sharris
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:17 pm

I might add one neg to these Academy gloves. They do not have the fleece lining in between the fingers. Due to this, you can really feel the cold with the bare neo inside this small area. I dont hardly ever stick my hand down in the water, I only use them for picking up decoys which are cold and wet. These get the job done nicely for this and keep my hands warm and dry.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:16 am

Last night I was at my local Academy store and they just got in some of these neo gloves in I posted about. These are a new version and are improved, having the lining in between the fingers. I bought a couple more pairs while the getting was good and tested them out in the kitchen sink last night. They are certainly an improvement over the older model gloves. I could feel no dampness or cold from the water at all. I normally have about a half dozen pairs of jersey cotton gloves in my blind bag to wear when hunting. I only use the neo gloves in the boat on the way to the blind and handling decoys. As you probably already know, the pain from getting your hands wet in extreme cold is hard to deal with . These gloves take care of this problem with ease.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:32 am

Even if you wear neoprene gloves and don't get wet. They make your hands not be able to breath and end up smelling like old gym shoes.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:01 am

Well, I had my first pair for about five seasons and overall have no complaints or leaks. I am not a great smeller but have noticed no smell with my old ones. I most likely would not have bought any more had I not lost one of the pair. I cant say about wearing them for an entire hunt as they are mainly for picking up deeks and keeping my hands dry.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby handyandy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:07 am

Just get the pvc dipped fleeced lined gloves off amazon they are only 15 dollars no more than any of the junk neoprene gloves and if you spend 35 you get free shipping. I just ordered some and threw a bore snake for my rifle I've been needing and some more rem oil to bring it up 35. Buddy of mine has the ones off amazon on his second season with them they are great for setting and picking up decoys, grabbing birds out of the water and all that crap you do and don't want to soak your hands. The dexterity isn't great but doesn't seem any worse than any of neo gloves.

handyandy
hunter

Postby BrentSte » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:33 pm

I bought a pair of lined nitrile gloves from home depot for $5. They look like heavy duty kitchen gloves. Buy them a size too large and wear a wool or polypro liner underneath and you'll stay dry and warm the entire hunt
BrentSte
Newb

Postby hawgripper » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:39 am

Hoosierace wrote:
vincentpa wrote:All neoprene gloves leak after the first year. It's a fraud. I have PVC gloves but they are too big. I don't gave any dexterity. Goretex gloves aren't much better. Even the good pairs only last a couple of seasons. My new strategy is a new pair of goretex gloves at the end of every season on big mark down sale.

Exactly, i am trying the under armor skysweepers this year which appear to be fleece lined goretex gloves dipped in some sort of pvc (?). For the cost I am hoping to get a couple seasons out of them. So far so good.

I ran a pair of them back in Nov and Dec and they are awsome, only draw back is they are sized a little small but good dexterity and stay fairly supple in the icy water.

Worth the money.

As for repairing the neoprene, I have had good luck with the shoe goo brand but in the marine version.
hawgripper
hunter

Postby mjk » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:45 pm

handyandy wrote:Just get the pvc dipped fleeced lined gloves off amazon they are only 15 dollars no more than any of the junk neoprene gloves and if you spend 35 you get free shipping. I just ordered some and threw a bore snake for my rifle I've been needing and some more rem oil to bring it up 35. Buddy of mine has the ones off amazon on his second season with them they are great for setting and picking up decoys, grabbing birds out of the water and all that crap you do and don't want to soak your hands. The dexterity isn't great but doesn't seem any worse than any of neo gloves.

Bought these this year for decoys. Worked awesome, and they were 3.99 when I got them.

http://www.menards.com/main/housewares/ ... c-7086.htm
mjk
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:30 am

sharris-I gave up trying to repair neoprene gloves a long time ago. I bought a pair of these and love them:
http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-MQG330?src=Y0807GL0N0N10000&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&gclid=CPzw8aGQjLwCFTNp7AodMlUAfQ

they are warm and will last...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Putmeincoach » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:37 pm

Didn't read the threads linked, sorry if this has already been suggested. I spearfish regularly when it's not duck season and often end up with holes in my wetsuit. This glue patches it up like new, the bond being stronger than the actual neoprene it's adhering to.
http://www.makospearguns.com/product-p/mwsg.1.htm
I don't see why it wouldn't work for these gloves, I've patched wetsuits with the same cell type neoprene as most of the gloves out there, works like a charm.
Putmeincoach
hunter

Postby sharris » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:18 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. Definitely will be replacing the gloves next season with one of the non-neoprene alternatives.
sharris
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum