Vacuum Sealer

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Vacuum Sealer

Postby JRB11 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:22 pm

Posted this in the cooking forum, but sure could use some advice. Trying to purchase a food saver, vacuum sealer and want some input on any of you who may have one or could recommend one.
JRB11
Newb

Re: Vacuum Sealer

Postby ohio mike » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:58 pm

Wouldn't be without one.Some are better then others,buy the best you can afford.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby BDK » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:23 am

Iv herd the food saver is not the best . But id like to know myself
I know iv herd the cabelas commercial is a good one and its on sale right now kinda pricey

BDK
BDK
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:00 am

I've had two Food Savers, the first an upright model that the vacuum crapped out on after relatively light use and now their flat Game Saver model that's had much better reviews. Besides dying young, the upright was fussy to the point of nuisance about automatically triggering its vacuum with a push of the bag end, and I much prefer the manual nature of the flat model.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby troutman561 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:01 am

I have a food saver that has to be at least 10 years old. It has seen some marathon sealing days and keeps on kicking.
troutman561
hunter

Postby WetlandWarrior » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:00 am

VP215 is the ultimate.
WetlandWarrior
hunter

Postby BDK » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:24 am

^I dont have 1000 bucks to spend on one lol

BDK
BDK
hunter

Postby jeepman » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:38 am

I like the FoodSaver for the money I have had mine for a few years. The problem I have had with mine is the heat strip over heats with moderate use. If I am sealing venison or a bunch of goose it takes me a while because I have to wait for the heat strip to cool in between sealing packages. Once mine craps out or I get a little extra cash I am going to buy a commercial sealer from Cabelas. That will keep up with the volume involved in butchering my own deer and the larger limits of geese during the early season.
jeepman
hunter

Postby Abomb » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:38 am

jeepman wrote:I like the FoodSaver for the money I have had mine for a few years. The problem I have had with mine is the heat strip over heats with moderate use. If I am sealing venison or a bunch of goose it takes me a while because I have to wait for the heat strip to cool in between sealing packages. Once mine craps out or I get a little extra cash I am going to buy a commercial sealer from Cabelas. That will keep up with the volume involved in butchering my own deer and the larger limits of geese during the early season.

Little tip on the heat strip. Keep a wet cold cloth next to you when sealing. If the strip gets to hot, wipe it with the cold cloth, bam, right back in business.
Abomb
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:27 am

Rick Hall wrote:I've had two Food Savers, the first an upright model that the vacuum crapped out on after relatively light use and now their flat Game Saver model that's had much better reviews. Besides dying young, the upright was fussy to the point of nuisance about automatically triggering its vacuum with a push of the bag end, and I much prefer the manual nature of the flat model.

I have a Food Saver too. It stopped vacuuming after several years of use. I was about ready to chuck the thing. I found out that it was the seals that were causing the problem. Food Saver recommends changing the seals every 6 months. I think that is too often. I will keep a spare set and order more when it stops vacuuming again. The seals are the black foam/neoprene like gaskets top and bottom of the chamber. The seals age and become too "brittle" to make a proper seal for a vacuum to occur. You have to order replacement seals. They are cheap. I think about $3. They're buried in the website somewhere. I forget where, maybe under spare parts or repair.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby D-9 Operator » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:45 pm

I have the new cabelas commercial model it works awesome.
Well worth the money and their customer service is second to none.
D-9 Operator
Newb

Postby Dehunter » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:31 am

The food saver (camo game saver model) comes with a life time warranty. About $130
Targets-tequila- trailers-Ahh the skeet life!
Dehunter
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum