Hunting Camo Style

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Hunting Camo Style

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:54 pm

I just had another question with many of course, trying to start hunting ducks again. Is there a specific type of camo that hides you better from the ducks?

I'm just trying to learn everything as soon as possible, thanks for all the help guys!
4 most American things to do, hunt/fish/work on vehicles/drink not in any specific order.
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Re: Hunting Camo Style

Postby TexasPuddleJumper » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:16 pm

Max4, KW, and shadow grass are pretty standard. I tend to have enough cover or a good enough blind that it doesn't matter all that much so sometimes I'm out in BDUs... But mostly max4. And for the love of God, don't get a camo shotgun.

Sent via smoke signal
I'm not saying that it shouldn't be done, I'm just saying it is ill advised...
TexasPuddleJumper
hunter

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:20 pm

Thanks man! I appreciate the help.

Yeah I won't lie I was considering it but I have a beautiful looking wingmaster, but I want another shotgun so i'm thinking black if I buy another one.
4 most American things to do, hunt/fish/work on vehicles/drink not in any specific order.
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Postby TexasPuddleJumper » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:31 pm

Glad I could be of help. And hang on to that old wingmaster!

Sent via smoke signal
TexasPuddleJumper
hunter

Postby goosehappy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:28 am

TexasPuddleJumper wrote:Max4, KW, and shadow grass are pretty standard. I tend to have enough cover or a good enough blind that it doesn't matter all that much so sometimes I'm out in BDUs... But mostly max4. And for the love of God, don't get a camo shotgun.

Sent via smoke signal

OK, just out of curiosity, so why wouldn't you want a camo shotgun?
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Postby TexasPuddleJumper » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:38 am

goosehappy wrote:
TexasPuddleJumper wrote:Max4, KW, and shadow grass are pretty standard. I tend to have enough cover or a good enough blind that it doesn't matter all that much so sometimes I'm out in BDUs... But mostly max4. And for the love of God, don't get a camo shotgun.

Sent via smoke signal

OK, just out of curiosity, so why wouldn't you want a camo shotgun?

I say that primarily out of jest. Just my own personal bias. :lol:

Sent via smoke signal
TexasPuddleJumper
hunter

Postby Legband#1 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:33 am

The three patterns mentioned are probably the three most popular patterns.
Be careful with the KW as some of the color variations it is produced in sick out really bad in certain backgrounds .
If your hunting in blinds most of the time with lids or covers it is obviously not as important.
But if you standing in the tules you may stick out like a sore thumb.
If your hunting timber , willows and brushy areas most of the time some of the patterns with more grey are very helpful.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Postby handyandy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:38 am

as long as your wearing somehting that has the same general colors as the background it doesn't matter on the camo pattern. And a camo shotgun won't help you kill anymore ducks so don't waste your money on one. Spend that money on some good decoys and rigging, or stock up on ammo, or put it towards and boat and blind. Camo shotguns are more to attract hunters and make them spend more money they don't really help in my opinion. My old blued barrel winchester 1300 has killed plenty of ducks geese and turkeys none of them cared about it being regular gun vs camo.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:46 am

Cool thanks for all the info! I really appreciate it fellas!!

Yeah I eventually want to have my own boat and blind but that wouldn't be till later on but I can see that I need to get a lot of stuff I have some ammo right now but I really need to stock up on everything else! You guys have been such a great help to me and thank you so much fellas!!
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Postby Sclf » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:06 am

I like the camo shotguns only bc the rust protection the coatings offer. Hunting brackish/saltwater is hell on guns. That beretta coating is tough! Of course the browning dura touch is crap. Deet is like kryptonite to that stuff.
As far as patterns, the ones mentioned are good. I like the new shadowgrass, not as much as the old shadowgrass though. The key is too be hidden and still, then camo pattern isn't very important.
Sclf
hunter

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:34 pm

Thanks man!! I appreciate it.

I saw a mossy oak duck blind skin they have for $25, I thought about trying it out when I looked at my gun last night you can see where it's starting to rust but hasn't fully started but yet again it hasn't been used a whole lot in its life so that might be why, plus it's only really seen a range.
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Postby Sclf » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:43 pm

TXDuckHuntin wrote:Thanks man!! I appreciate it.

I saw a mossy oak duck blind skin they have for $25, I thought about trying it out when I looked at my gun last night you can see where it's starting to rust but hasn't fully started but yet again it hasn't been used a whole lot in its life so that might be why, plus it's only really seen a range.

I don't know how well those skins work. If it didn't come factory camo, I would probly look into having it hydra dipped or cerekoted. Either that or just make sure you dry it off well after a hunt. If my gun gets wet, I don't even put it back in its case on the way home. I've seen my son's gun develop rust in as short as just the drive home in its case. Of course it's a cheap little mossberg.
Sclf
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:49 pm

matching the surrondings is key. I always wear Max 4 when i hunt potholes or corn fields, but when im hunting a river where there are trees, i use a leafy suit with some sort of realtree on it.
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:52 pm

Sclf wrote:
TXDuckHuntin wrote:Thanks man!! I appreciate it.

I don't know how well those skins work. If it didn't come factory camo, I would probly look into having it hydra dipped or cerekoted. Either that or just make sure you dry it off well after a hunt. If my gun gets wet, I don't even put it back in its case on the way home. I've seen my son's gun develop rust in as short as just the drive home in its case. Of course it's a cheap little mossberg.

I've read some great reviews from that skin but yet again you know, and the shotgun isn't mine it's my dads so I don't really want to go put that skin on his gun, but I've considered it when I buy my shot gun. I'll just have to make sure to clean his really well for now and maybe try and pick up another one if I can.

As I've been reading and doing some research and saw that there's a realtree max4 and seen some game winners max4 which are y'all using?
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Postby goosehappy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:14 pm

If you camo your gun, make sure you put a sling on it and keep it with you while you are out in the field. I put my camo gun down in a corn field while moving goose dekes around and like to never found it. It took about twenty minutes of panic till I just about tripped over it! :oops:
goosehappy
hunter

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:19 pm

Thanks for the heads up!! Definitely will need to do that, I would probably lose my gun haha
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:20 am

Depends on what type of areas you will be hunting. I usually where bottomland as I hunt rocks and trees a decent amount when I hunt the shoreline. I have a lite rain jackets in natural gear and max 4 also white which I can easily slip on to better match my surroundings.

However you really don't need camo, just dull soils colors have been killing birds for years.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:12 am

Great thanks!!

I think my first year I'm going to do just shoreline public land hunting, and try to have some sort of boat with a blind set up for next years season.
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Postby handyandy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:49 am

Thats the one advantage of a camo or some synthetic finish I would like is the rust protection. I keep my gun from rusting up just by wiping it down and cleaning it good after each hunt and storing it with a film of wd40 on it. While out hunting it may get some surface rust but it comes right off with cleaning. I just cant see spending the extra 100-200 more on a the same sort of gun just because it's camo. Sure if I came by a good deal I might but usually there are other things I'd rather have first that I put the money towards.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:07 am

I agree there's a lot more items that are more important, I personally have just wanted to always buy a camo shot gun, but like you said typically there at least 100-200 more or you can't find one all camo. The only other fully camo gun I have found thus far is the Remington 870 Express but I've heard mixed reviews on that gun.
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Postby Legband#1 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:00 pm

TXDuckHuntin wrote:I agree there's a lot more items that are more important, I personally have just wanted to always buy a camo shot gun, but like you said typically there at least 100-200 more or you can't find one all camo. The only other fully camo gun I have found thus far is the Remington 870 Express but I've heard mixed reviews on that gun.

Personally I believe a blued shot gun barrel ranks number three in why birds flare off you in a open area hunt , like a refuse , pond or anywhere your not in a blind , I think a black or camo gun is very important in non blind hunting and well worth the money.
And I would rank reasons form flared birds as follows.
1. Movement
2. Face and hands
3. Shinny gun barrel
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:32 pm

Legband#1 wrote:
TXDuckHuntin wrote:I agree there's a lot more items that are more important, I personally have just wanted to always buy a camo shot gun, but like you said typically there at least 100-200 more or you can't find one all camo. The only other fully camo gun I have found thus far is the Remington 870 Express but I've heard mixed reviews on that gun.

Personally I believe a blued shot gun barrel ranks number three in why birds flare off you in a open area hunt , like a refuse , pond or anywhere your not in a blind , I think a black or camo gun is very important in non blind hunting and well worth the money.
And I would rank reasons form flared birds as follows.
1. Movement
2. Face and hands
3. Shinny gun barrel

Thanks for the tips, yeah I do plan on having a blind in the future but in the first 1 or 2 season it will probably go on public land. The gun isnt too shiny but could possibly present issues like you have stated and I really have always thought maybe a camo would be better overall just to help blend in with your surroundings.
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Postby xrated » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:23 pm

You are gonna get votes either way on camo guns.

Me I think it is overrated. If gun barrels flare birds so do glasses and sun glasses. Or all those metal bands guys like to wear on their neck outside their coat.

Think of it this way, for the price difference of a camo gun you could buy close to a case of shells.
xrated
hunter

Postby Legband#1 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:19 pm

Thanks for the tips, yeah I do plan on having a blind in the future but in the first 1 or 2 season it will probably go on public land. The gun isnt too shiny but could possibly present issues like you have stated and I really have always thought maybe a camo would be better overall just to help blend in with your surroundings.[/quote]

Well here's the thing if you have a blue gun now you make the best of it.
You can always rap the barrel with non adhesive tape .
But I was under the impression you were thinking of buying a new gun at some time.
I understand what xrated is saying and I agree that each guy has to make his own mind up as to how important it is to him.
But to use his points in thinking through it ,
I have a couple of bands on my lanyard and I keep them covered until photo time lol
You can't do anything about glasses if you need them so that's a moot point.
You can choose not to ware sun glasses most of our guys don't ware them.
But most of all even if you have shinny objects on you person , why not reduce the number as much as possible.
Also none of these other items are 3' out in front of you moving around like a gun barrel.
Lastly he's right about the price , for about a case of shells you can have something that will last you 10 -20 years
So for 5-10 dollars a year you can have a camo gun.
Now once again if your not in the market for a new gun no biggy wrap it but its a cheep investment if your a waterfowler looking to buy a gun.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Postby goosehappy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:29 pm

I agree with Legband on the camo gun, when you are field hunting or in light cover. Every little bit helps, and the finish on my Beretta is almost like new after 12+ years, many hunting in salt marshes. I also have a black gun, and for most situations, either would be fine. But if I only had one gun, I'd want it camo.Even if I do have a hard time finding... :smile:
goosehappy
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum