Hunting Camo Style

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Re: Hunting Camo Style

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:12 pm

Thanks for all the responses. Right now I do have a wingmaster 870, only issue is its my dads and as he won't mind me using it to hunt I just preferably would like to have my own.

I can't say thank you enough for all the help you guys have been I do have a lot of knowledge about camo so now I just have to go do some shopping.
4 most American things to do, hunt/fish/work on vehicles/drink not in any specific order.
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Postby xrated » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:23 am

I dunno legband, by the time your gun is sticking 3' out in front and moving around you are what 1 second from pulling the trigger?

Not sure I buy the for the cost of a case that yuo can have something that will last 10-20 years. I've been using the same 500 since I was 18 in a blued barrel. I'm now 30 so that is what 12 years and there is no issue with it. Yes in fairness the end of the barrel has some scratches that went through the bluing and it will rust if I leave it...but nothing a quick hit of oil and steel wool doesn't fix. If we want to go back further I have a 70 dollar NEF single shot I beat the absolute piss out of fromt he age of about 14 and no issues.

Does a camo finish, etc help? Yes it probably does but if you aren't beyond lazy 5 minutes after the gun finishes sweating and that becomes IMO a moot point.

To the OP, see what we mean there is no shortage of opinions on this subject.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:04 am

Yeah, it goes both ways which I think everything that has the chance to do that they will.

I'm grateful for all the responses I have received from everyone they have been helpful and informative. Hopefully sometime in the off season I'll pick up a new gun. So we will see what I pick up, obliviously I'm not trying to spend a crazy amount just yet hoping to find one maybe in the $400 range but if I get really addicted I got my eye on that A5 that browning makes but that's about a $1,800 gun but I got to be super addicted for that gun haha.
4 most American things to do, hunt/fish/work on vehicles/drink not in any specific order.
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:46 am

I personally wear sunglasses just about every single day of the year. Costas with 580 blue mirror do tend to shine pretty good, but between the snow and glair on the water I have to wear them or else I get a head ache. I tend to play shadows a lot when I do hunt. Or I tend to look down when the birds are out in front, at the very least I don't look right at them. They haven't cost me many over the years.

Camo guns: I like them for the sole reason that they resist rust pretty well as oppose to blued guns (that and I love the way the look so it is more of a personal thing). Do I try and reduce the shine with all of my firearms, yes. As far as a 1800 dollar guns go......Lifes to short to shoot a POS IMHO, you want it go and buy it...and enjoy it!!!! :thumbsup:

Another point that I haven't seen anyone bring up, I would stay away from white, or bright colored calls in general. Those can be quite shiny/bright. I tend to get black, or dark green colored calls myself. At the same time I don't usually use calls when I layout boat hunt which is about 98% of my hunting.
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:19 am

My advice is don't freak out about the camo pattern too much. I mostly wear Sitka Gear stuff and although I am a fan of the Optifade pattern, if Sitka was using Max-4, I would still buy it. I like the Sitka Gear because of the functionality, fit, quality, etc. Optifade blends in well where I mostly hunt so that is a bonus as well. But I still have a ton of Max-4, KW, and others in my closet in older clothes, blind bags, etc. As you continue to hunt, patterns will go away and some will come into existence / style. So I would go with more functionality, fit, etc than worrying about matching camo patterns. But if you have a choice in a camo pattern, as others have said, just try to pick something that is similar to your normal hunting surroundings.

Oh, and I do have a camo gun (Beretta A400). I do it mostly because of what others said... it adds that layer of protection. Well, ok, I think it looks cool too :biggrin:
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby TXDuckHuntin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:08 pm

Thanks for the advice yeah, ours here is pretty similar so I'll probably have a little bit of a variety of everything. I can't say thank you enough for all the great advice and places to look and other factors to look into as well.

Yeah well I just like the cool factor of it too honestly that's why I think I want a camo gun because it looks cool. :lol:
TXDuckHuntin
hunter

Postby ksfowler166 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:06 am

After researching on the subject of camouflage I think that the best camo is the type that breaks up the human sillioute NOT that tries and make you look like a tree, grass, ect. So I prefer open, contrasty patterns that look like nothing ( ex. Drake Old School, ASAT, or like the Desert Storm tri color pattern) or digital camo (ex. Sitka or Marpat).
De Oppresso Liber
ksfowler166
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:04 am

handyandy wrote:as long as your wearing somehting that has the same general colors as the background it doesn't matter on the camo pattern. And a camo shotgun won't help you kill anymore ducks so don't waste your money on one.

First sentence is spot on.
Second sentence is opinion not borne out by facts.

A camo shotgun won't kill any better, but it certainly can help get more ducks in killing range. What's the whole purpose of camouflage anyway?
Yes, millions of ducks have been killed by non-camo guns. How many more would have been killed had those gun not been so easily seen by the birds?
I look at it this way; if my camo shotguns help me get even ONE more bird in range this season, then they are worth the extra $150 or so I paid for them ten years ago. You might look at it this way: having camo on your gun sure won't HURT anything!
A camo gun is jut one less thing to worry about flaring ducks.
mudpack
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:08 am

xrated wrote:Me I think it is overrated. If gun barrels flare birds so do glasses and sun glasses. Or all those metal bands guys like to wear on their neck outside their coat.

Yes, they all have spooked birds. Not every bird, but they can, and do spook birds.
mudpack
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:35 am

The best camo is "be really still and don't move" brand.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Previous

Return to Hunting Gear Forum