Is down out?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Is down out?

Postby goosehappy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:39 am

I'm having a hard time finding a goose down insulated hunting jacket with features comparable to the current waterfowl gear such as Drake,UA etc.... Is goose down going out of style as insulating material? Is it inferior to polyester? Columbia seems to have made one a few years back but not any more. Is it too expensive?
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Re: Is down out?

Postby TexasPuddleJumper » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:44 am

I've seen down in some non waterfowl jackets. The main thing is it tends to lose insulating value when it gets wet.

Sent via smoke signal
I'm not saying that it shouldn't be done, I'm just saying it is ill advised...
TexasPuddleJumper
hunter

Postby handyandy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:58 am

It's not cheap, it doesn't do well when wet, it takes forever to dry out if it gets wet, and if it gets nasty and stinky you can't just throw it in the washer unless you want to ruin it. Thats why there isn't much out there with goose down anymore.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby Abomb » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:18 pm

handyandy wrote: and if it gets nasty and stinky you can't just throw it in the washer unless you want to ruin it.

Umm, yeah, not true.
Abomb
hunter

Postby Flatrock » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:39 pm

Down is underused in my opinion. Still nothing generates that cocoon of warmth like down. I wear a down Jacket by Browning that I love. Admittedly , will not wear it in the rain. You can actually launder down products in the washing machine on delicate and dry them on low with a special fluffer that looks like a retriever dummy in the dryer.
Flatrock
hunter

Postby goosehappy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:07 pm

I still have a down liner from an old Browning parka, but it isn't waterproof. I never had any problems washing it .But wouldn't all types of insulation loose most of their insulating value when wet? Just seems there'd be a little market anyway for a good down waterproof jacket for waterfowling.
goosehappy
hunter

Postby buckbuster31 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:30 pm

I've got a drake down vest. Best investment I've made
Wood Duck-2
Mallard-3
Shoveler-5
GW Teal-1
Coot-20
hooded merganser-1
Gadwall-1
Snow Goose-1
buckbuster31
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:15 am

goosehappy wrote:I'm having a hard time finding a goose down insulated hunting jacket with features comparable to the current waterfowl gear such as Drake,UA etc.... Is goose down going out of style as insulating material? Is it inferior to polyester? Columbia seems to have made one a few years back but not any more. Is it too expensive?

Drake makes a down jacket

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
The only thing worse than being blind is having sight with no vision- Helen Keller
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby FWP » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:03 pm

[quote="Nelliboy2"]Drake makes a down jacket

LL Bean makes a nice down vest also.
FWP
hunter

Postby ksfowler166 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:22 am

There are several options to choose from. Eddie Bauer has the godfather of all down coats the Skyliner 1936 in both a vest and coat. I know that for Christmas I am getting the Eddie Bauer MicroTherm vest. To quote from their website

"This year, we're using 700-fill StormRepel™ Down—Premium European Goose Down that's treated with a durable water-repellent (DWR) finish to make it highly resistant to moisture. Ripstop nylon shell, reinforced with rugged Cordura® nylon overlays. StormRepel® DWR finish also protects the fabric surface, causing moisture to bead and roll off or evaporate rather than soak into the fabric."

So it is water resistant few things short of Gore-Tex are waterproof anyways and it is also machine washable. I am hoping that it will be a good gift but oddly enough I don't need my waterfowl gear to even be water resistant (wader and decoy gloves excepted) I just don't hunt waterfowl in bad weather. Now upland hunting is different story and I can use waterproof for that. By the way what "features comparable to the current waterfowl gear" are you talking about? Pockets? Hoods?
De Oppresso Liber
ksfowler166
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:56 am

Main thing I have against down jackets is bulk. Bulky jackets/vests and wingshooting do not go well together.

I have an old down jacket that I wear a lot in winter, but not hunting.
mudpack
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:07 am

Nothing warms like down. I speak from years of experience with it. It is true though, that you need to baby it a little more than some of the man made fibers. When it's a NW of 25 in early November, it's what I grab. I actually use a USAF Cold Weather Parka with a brush wolf ruff and it works great. Only dealing with snow and spray at that time of year. ...mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby Abomb » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:48 am

mudpack wrote:Main thing I have against down jackets is bulk. Bulky jackets/vests and wingshooting do not go well together.

I have an old down jacket that I wear a lot in winter, but not hunting.

Down sweaters are less bulky than a normal jacket and even with fleece, but way warmer.
Abomb
hunter

Postby goosehappy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:21 am

ksfowler166 wrote:There are several options to choose from. Eddie Bauer has the godfather of all down coats the Skyliner 1936 in both a vest and coat. I know that for Christmas I am getting the Eddie Bauer MicroTherm vest. To quote from their website

"This year, we're using 700-fill StormRepel™ Down—Premium European Goose Down that's treated with a durable water-repellent (DWR) finish to make it highly resistant to moisture. Ripstop nylon shell, reinforced with rugged Cordura® nylon overlays. StormRepel® DWR finish also protects the fabric surface, causing moisture to bead and roll off or evaporate rather than soak into the fabric."

So it is water resistant few things short of Gore-Tex are waterproof anyways and it is also machine washable. I am hoping that it will be a good gift but oddly enough I don't need my waterfowl gear to even be water resistant (wader and decoy gloves excepted) I just don't hunt waterfowl in bad weather. Now upland hunting is different story and I can use waterproof for that. By the way what "features comparable to the current waterfowl gear" are you talking about? Pockets? Hoods?

I had in mind, waterproof or at least resistant, and pockets, and camo so it could be an outer layer . Since posting this, I've checked out some of the offerings mentioned, and looks like Drake's might be the best, though it looks a bit on the bulky side. Browning's 650 fill looks ok too, but it's tough when you have to order online without seeing the jacket.
goosehappy
hunter

Postby drake45 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:20 pm

EMS makes a 800 weight vest which works well under a wader jacket. Its downtech so it is fine if it gets wet. Its also very light and compressed easy.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18502596&cp=.16247176
drake45
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:29 pm

handyandy wrote:Thats why there isn't much out there with goose down anymore.

Not true. Down is highly sought at insulation material in the backpack community. As a whole backpackers spend more days outside compared to duck hunters. No? Ever hear of PCT, CDT or AT? Go look at a few name brand sleeping bags and the quality it provides.

I have the Drake LST Down Coat with Magnattach. It's waterproof so the down never gets wet. I haven't used it a lot, but extremely warm as any down product is if the fill is correct. I also have a Eddie Bauer MicroTherm StormRepel Down Field Jacket. Not exactly made for water fowling, but a better fit with less bulk compared to the Drake.

You can wash down in a washing machine with specific soap. Also, it can be dried low heat with a tennis ball to get it's original form back.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby TEN GAUGE BBB » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:51 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:I have the Drake LST Down Coat with Magnattach. It's waterproof so the down never gets wet
Killer your Drake LST Down Coat must be made from different material than mine. The first time I wore it in the rain I got SOAKED. I used 2 cans of waterproofing spray and the problem was solved. Other than that I like the coat VERY much. Nice and warm when the temps get bitter. I also like the upper chest pockets. I think I paid $59.99 for it on sale so the price was right.
TEN GAUGE BBB
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:09 pm

Mine is the newer model this year. I tested it the day I got it and wore it in the shower. They changed a few things prior to this year's. Damn cheap price you got it for! Lowest I ever found was $96, but that was the discontinued item number.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum