Duck Hunting Forum banner

Is down out?

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  KillerKowalski 
#1 ·
I'm having a hard time finding a goose down insulated hunting jacket with features comparable to the current waterfowl gear such as Drake,UA etc.... Is goose down going out of style as insulating material? Is it inferior to polyester? Columbia seems to have made one a few years back but not any more. Is it too expensive?

#3 ·
It's not cheap, it doesn't do well when wet, it takes forever to dry out if it gets wet, and if it gets nasty and stinky you can't just throw it in the washer unless you want to ruin it. Thats why there isn't much out there with goose down anymore.

#5 ·
Down is underused in my opinion. Still nothing generates that cocoon of warmth like down. I wear a down Jacket by Browning that I love. Admittedly , will not wear it in the rain. You can actually launder down products in the washing machine on delicate and dry them on low with a special fluffer that looks like a retriever dummy in the dryer.

#6 ·
I still have a down liner from an old Browning parka, but it isn't waterproof. I never had any problems washing it .But wouldn't all types of insulation loose most of their insulating value when wet? Just seems there'd be a little market anyway for a good down waterproof jacket for waterfowling.

#10 ·
There are several options to choose from. Eddie Bauer has the godfather of all down coats the Skyliner 1936 in both a vest and coat. I know that for Christmas I am getting the Eddie Bauer MicroTherm vest. To quote from their website

"This year, we're using 700-fill StormRepel™ Down-Premium European Goose Down that's treated with a durable water-repellent (DWR) finish to make it highly resistant to moisture. Ripstop nylon shell, reinforced with rugged Cordura® nylon overlays. StormRepel® DWR finish also protects the fabric surface, causing moisture to bead and roll off or evaporate rather than soak into the fabric."

So it is water resistant few things short of Gore-Tex are waterproof anyways and it is also machine washable. I am hoping that it will be a good gift but oddly enough I don't need my waterfowl gear to even be water resistant (wader and decoy gloves excepted) I just don't hunt waterfowl in bad weather. Now upland hunting is different story and I can use waterproof for that. By the way what "features comparable to the current waterfowl gear" are you talking about? Pockets? Hoods?

#12 ·
Nothing warms like down. I speak from years of experience with it. It is true though, that you need to baby it a little more than some of the man made fibers. When it's a NW of 25 in early November, it's what I grab. I actually use a USAF Cold Weather Parka with a brush wolf ruff and it works great. Only dealing with snow and spray at that time of year. ...mauser

#14 ·
ksfowler166 said:
There are several options to choose from. Eddie Bauer has the godfather of all down coats the Skyliner 1936 in both a vest and coat. I know that for Christmas I am getting the Eddie Bauer MicroTherm vest. To quote from their website

"This year, we're using 700-fill StormRepel™ Down-Premium European Goose Down that's treated with a durable water-repellent (DWR) finish to make it highly resistant to moisture. Ripstop nylon shell, reinforced with rugged Cordura® nylon overlays. StormRepel® DWR finish also protects the fabric surface, causing moisture to bead and roll off or evaporate rather than soak into the fabric."

So it is water resistant few things short of Gore-Tex are waterproof anyways and it is also machine washable. I am hoping that it will be a good gift but oddly enough I don't need my waterfowl gear to even be water resistant (wader and decoy gloves excepted) I just don't hunt waterfowl in bad weather. Now upland hunting is different story and I can use waterproof for that. By the way what "features comparable to the current waterfowl gear" are you talking about? Pockets? Hoods?
I had in mind, waterproof or at least resistant, and pockets, and camo so it could be an outer layer . Since posting this, I've checked out some of the offerings mentioned, and looks like Drake's might be the best, though it looks a bit on the bulky side. Browning's 650 fill looks ok too, but it's tough when you have to order online without seeing the jacket.

#16 ·
handyandy said:
Thats why there isn't much out there with goose down anymore.
Not true. Down is highly sought at insulation material in the backpack community. As a whole backpackers spend more days outside compared to duck hunters. No? Ever hear of PCT, CDT or AT? Go look at a few name brand sleeping bags and the quality it provides.

I have the Drake LST Down Coat with Magnattach. It's waterproof so the down never gets wet. I haven't used it a lot, but extremely warm as any down product is if the fill is correct. I also have a Eddie Bauer MicroTherm StormRepel Down Field Jacket. Not exactly made for water fowling, but a better fit with less bulk compared to the Drake.

You can wash down in a washing machine with specific soap. Also, it can be dried low heat with a tennis ball to get it's original form back.

#17 ·
KillerKowalski said:
I have the Drake LST Down Coat with Magnattach. It's waterproof so the down never gets wet
Killer your Drake LST Down Coat must be made from different material than mine. The first time I wore it in the rain I got SOAKED. I used 2 cans of waterproofing spray and the problem was solved. Other than that I like the coat VERY much. Nice and warm when the temps get bitter. I also like the upper chest pockets. I think I paid $59.99 for it on sale so the price was right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.