Flex Seal?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Flex Seal?

Postby Bloke » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:53 am

Anybody ever tried it to repair waders? Now when I say repair, I mean the seams. I have my first and only pair of Drake waders. It is their 3rd season and the butt seam leaks like a civ. I will never buy another pair. They lead so bad I dumped water out of my waders after the hunt. I have seen the guys on the Bering Sea Gold show with what looks like Flex Seal sprayed all over their wet suits. Wondered if anyone up here has ever tried it.
Make sure their toe nails are wet
Bloke
hunter

Re: Flex Seal?

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:15 pm

I wouldnt.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby jarod1076 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:52 am

I've tried it. It lasted about an hour or two before the flex steel started flaking off and leaking again.

Jarod
jarod1076
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:21 pm

Aqua Seal.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby SayQuack » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:14 am

dsm16428 wrote:Aqua Seal.

x2
SayQuack
hunter

Postby Legband#1 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:27 am

Our entire club uses aqua seal to my knowledge it's never failed.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Postby Bloke » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:36 pm

Thanks for everyone's advice. I did use the flex seal because I had already bought it. They worked really well today, but it sounds like it may not last. If it does fail I will try out the aqua seal. Seems the way to go. Thought I would give this stuff a shot becuase I wasn't exactly sure where the leak was. I sprayed the whole seams of the inner legs and it works for now.
Bloke
hunter

Postby t_baker » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:31 pm

I have used it. I think it works great. Indaswamp swears by it. I tore my new pair this year the first time I had them on. I taped around the hole, smeared some silicone on the tear, let it dry and then put 4 coats on.

Yet to leak.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Legband#1 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:40 am

Bloke wrote:Thanks for everyone's advice. I did use the flex seal because I had already bought it. They worked really well today, but it sounds like it may not last. If it does fail I will try out the aqua seal. Seems the way to go. Thought I would give this stuff a shot becuase I wasn't exactly sure where the leak was. I sprayed the whole seams of the inner legs and it works for now.

Hey bloke I have never used flex seal , only aqua seal and am interested to know how it works out for you.
Would you keep us posted ?
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Postby Bloke » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:26 am

Legband#1 wrote:
Bloke wrote:Thanks for everyone's advice. I did use the flex seal because I had already bought it. They worked really well today, but it sounds like it may not last. If it does fail I will try out the aqua seal. Seems the way to go. Thought I would give this stuff a shot becuase I wasn't exactly sure where the leak was. I sprayed the whole seams of the inner legs and it works for now.

Hey bloke I have never used flex seal , only aqua seal and am interested to know how it works out for you.
Would you keep us posted ?

I put 4 coats on the butt and inner leg seams as that seems to be where they were leaking. I have been 3 times since applying it and so far seems to be working really well. After it cures it seems ot be a little rigid so I am not sure how long it will last being it is applied to some locations that will need to stretch and move. To be continued.
Bloke
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:58 am

X 1000 on the Aqua Seal!
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:14 pm

Flex seal was junk for me it wears off in a matter of min and I cleaned prepped and used it like directed.... I did repair a boot with a tire patch kit and some 100% silicone been though 5 hunts now without a leak.

Heard aerosol plastic dip for tool handles last better than flex seal...
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby blindbound86 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:07 pm

It works great initially, it just doesn't last. Aqua seal does a similar job and lasts twice as long in my experience.
assateague wrote:Know what tolerance is good for? Making more sissies. It's like sissy fertilizer.
blindbound86
hunter

Postby Bloke » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:46 am

Yep, I can confirm it does not last. It took 4 hunts before they were leaking as bad as they were before I used it. Not to mention it is some nasty stuff. After it dries it flakes off if it doesn't stay motionless. It may be called flexseal, but it aint designed to flex.
Bloke
hunter

Postby duckn101 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:20 pm

Aqua Seal and iron mend patch over the Aqua Seal been working for 4 years for on mine..
duckn101
hunter

Postby MJO21 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:12 pm

duckn101 wrote:Aqua Seal and iron mend patch over the Aqua Seal been working for 4 years for on mine..

do you guys put the aqua seal on the inside or outside? what about the patch?

Mike
MJO21
hunter

Postby duckn101 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:36 pm

Inside
duckn101
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:04 am

I waterproofed my Jeep with it. :yes: Now we use it as a floating duck blind. But, I forgot to reinstall the drain plugs the last time.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Location: Where racketeering, conspiracy, fraud and soliciting of bribes for political appointments is normal

Postby Dog Tired » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:06 am

I could've swore I had aqua seal but when I lunched a nice set of holes in m waders I found I had something called "goop". Works fine if you apply it generously and completely cover the area inside and out. I let the outside cure then did the inside. No leaks.
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:10 am

t_baker wrote:I have used it. I think it works great. Indaswamp swears by it. I tore my new pair this year the first time I had them on. I taped around the hole, smeared some silicone on the tear, let it dry and then put 4 coats on.

Yet to leak.

Nope..Plasti-Dip, not Flex seal. Flex seal SUCKS!!!
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Return to Hunting Gear Forum