Making your own pop-up

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Making your own pop-up

Postby Cranberry1 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:07 pm

Does anyone have any plans or ideas as far as making your own pop-up blind? I am new to the whole water-fowl scene , and honestly i don't have the money to spend on a 100$ popup blind for in the fields. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make one? I tried to google it and I got hits for mostly popupblinds on boats and like deer hunting blinds. Answers appreciated!
Cranberry1
hunter

Re: Making your own pop-up

Postby Cranberry1 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:12 pm

i should've said layout! Sorry! but still open to ideas
Cranberry1
hunter

Postby bdub20 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:21 pm

I have read about guys that just lay under a burlap sack. Just try to find something comfortable to lay on and lay your burlap over you. Easy to just throw back over you, maybe try to dig out a little area for you to lay in.
bdub20
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:03 am

Here is a photobucket collection of pics of a homemade layout I made a few years ago just to see if I could! Worked out well. Not extremely portable, but the only thing I had to pay for was the threaded rods that held the two pieces of emt conduit together and the 90 degree elbows that created the legs. The rest of the "stuff" I already had....two pieces of fast grass, old carpet and plywood for the back rest, head rest, and lay on strip. Also had some raffia to add to the camo, velcro to hold the fast grass, and bamboo to create the flip open top area. I also bent a piece of flatbar aluminum that I had laying around to accomodate the chest area and trimmed the fastgrass back to accomodate the face area. Maybe you can get some ideas for your design.

http://s766.photobucket.com/user/tenfin ... ut%20Blind
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Stlfprs » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:22 pm

I would agree with the burlap sack suggestion. I'm also new to waterfowling, but I've learned a few things about lay out blinds. Portability is important, unless you can drive your truck right up to your spot. Bring a rake to gather grasses or corn stalks. Don't use the natural cover immediately surrounding your blind to cover your blind - it'll increase your overall visibility. Gather cover for your blind at least 10 yards from your blind. The burlap sack also works well for carrying cover to your layout site. For laying out in a field, you may also want to bring something to create an inclined ramp to lay on, so you can prop your head up a little. Most of the pre-fab lay out blinds have a lumbar support ramp that props your head up so you can spy incoming birds. If you don't prop your head up, then you can only see the birds that are directly overhead - unless you move your head. Being able to spy birds without them seeing you move is critical.

Sorry, if any of this is obvious or redundant. Good luck hunting.
Stlfprs
Newb

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:40 pm

Guys, you can buy a QUALITY layout blind that is portable, concealable, and user friendly for as little as a hundred bucks and get a REALLY GOOD model for $150, shipped free with no tax if you look around. I understand the desire to be hands on but why go through the hassle of building something that isn't even remotely close to the quality of a manufactured blind? If you can't afford it at the moment, save your pennies and buy a good one. It isn't like everything else in this sport isn't already rediculously over priced in the first place is it?
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Stlfprs » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:21 pm

dsm16428 wrote:Guys, you can buy a QUALITY layout blind that is portable, concealable, and user friendly for as little as a hundred bucks and get a REALLY GOOD model for $150, shipped free with no tax if you look around. I understand the desire to be hands on but why go through the hassle of building something that isn't even remotely close to the quality of a manufactured blind? If you can't afford it at the moment, save your pennies and buy a good one. It isn't like everything else in this sport isn't already rediculously over priced in the first place is it?

I completely agree. But, I try to (and commend anyone else who tries to) do it affordably. While I completely believe in technology and hunting gadgets, I also believe that hunters can do it great without all the bells and whistles.

But, I'm not a good hunter - so don't take my word for it.
Stlfprs
Newb

Return to Hunting Gear Forum