Beginner Tips?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Beginner Tips?

Postby EastTexan98 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:48 pm

Hey guys,
Im kinda new to duck hunting, and was wondering if anyone had tips on decoys, calls, or even shell preference. Ive been just about every weekend of this season, and have killed 2 mallard hens, 6 gadwalls, and 7 wood ducks. I would really like to stay into this sport but hunting on public land just doesn't do it sometimes. For us younger hunters (I'm 15), we have had some issues with this especially with older hunters coming in a ruining our decoys for fun. I know not all people are like this but its aggravating. Anyways, any tips on decoy spreads or equipment would be very helpful.

Thanks

My Equipment: Stoeger m3500, Gamewarner waders (dont know the name), and a teal, mallard drake, and wood duck call. (cheap 7-15$ calls), 2001 14ft deep and wide 10 hp mercury and trolling motor.
EastTexan98
Newb

Re: Beginner Tips?

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:36 pm

Are you leaving your decoys out over night or something? Decoys idk what you have but I would just get a couple dozen cheapo hot buys or storm front. 30 bucks or less for a dozen. Use them for a couple years if they get shot no biggie.

Shells I prefer Kent's to anything else. Usually 3" 1560 #1 and #3s.

If you like the sport save your money and stop buying cheap calls. Id recommend getting one high end duck call and a short reed goose call to learn on. I like RNT, echo for duck calls....not a zink fan even though they are made less than 10 miles from me. Toxic makes a good goose call tbh model is what I run. But make sure you blow them before buying!!!!! Even if you suck now, you can blow them and see if they have the right tone that you like. I learned that one the hard way. Lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby EastTexan98 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:25 pm

We usually take our decoys with us after the morning hunt. But we are in the water by 4 o'clock or even 3:30 sometimes. The others that hunt around us are there at 5 usually, so they come and go right through our decoys when there is plenty of light from their boat to see that we are there. It happens every time so there's no excuse.
EastTexan98
Newb

Postby KylerR88 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:34 pm

Well, I'm 15 too, and this season has been just me and my friends hunting. We've also been pretty successful, and I've gotten a total of 8 birds, (we've only been twice so far, so it's not too bad) 1 shoveler drake, 2 teal drakes, 2 mallards one hen one drake, and 4 gadwall two hens two drakes. With my friends included we've killed 16. Anyway, I've just started getting deeks myself, and went by everyone else's opinions on this forum and went with some storm fronts (found them on sale for $20.) On my call lanyard I'm running 2 cheap primos calls, a whistle, and a homemade barrel I turned out of Osage with an echo insert, which I love, it's my go to call. We actually don't have a boat to use yet, so we have just been walking and sitting on the bank In blinds we've made. I'm not sure what to tell you about the older people messing up your decoy spread, as we've been hunting private land this year. We hunted public land the last couple years an we've never had anyone be that disrespectful.
KylerR88
Newb

Postby KylerR88 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:36 pm

I've also been using kent shells this year and last year and I love them, I've been using 3 inch 2 shot.
KylerR88
Newb

Postby EastTexan98 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:19 pm

Thanks for the tips guys!
EastTexan98
Newb

Postby Legband#1 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:44 pm

EastTexan98 wrote:Hey guys,
Im kinda new to duck hunting, and was wondering if anyone had tips on decoys, calls, or even shell preference. Ive been just about every weekend of this season, and have killed 2 mallard hens, 6 gadwalls, and 7 wood ducks. I would really like to stay into this sport but hunting on public land just doesn't do it sometimes. For us younger hunters (I'm 15), we have had some issues with this especially with older hunters coming in a ruining our decoys for fun. I know not all people are like this but its aggravating. Anyways, any tips on decoy spreads or equipment would be very helpful.

Thanks

My Equipment: Stoeger m3500, Gamewarner waders (dont know the name), and a teal, mallard drake, and wood duck call. (cheap 7-15$ calls), 2001 14ft deep and wide 10 hp mercury and trolling motor.

Well E T 98 I'm not sure of your situation but in one of my spots is on the river.
where the birds want to sit is right in the middle it's only 50yds wide.
So I have decoys in the main thoroughfare and there are a few guys that hunt below me.
so I get everything ready except the decoys and put those out a few mins before shoot light this avoids any frustration on my part.
As far as gear go's I have a different mind set than a lot of guys ,
when I started out I was a lot younger than you and got what ever I could get to do the job.
But as soon as I could I started saving for the best I could get.
It took some time but it was worth it , I take good care of what I buy and it lasts along time.
For example my buddy bought what ever cheep decoys he could and they never lasted , I bought G&H decoys and it was well worth it.
If you have any specific questions about your set ups or gear I will be glad help.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum