how well should it all fit?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

how well should it all fit?

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:20 pm

I have a pair of waders, and a rather bulky coat. The coat I sized a lil' big in order to layer for those bitterly cold days, as well as fit a PFD underneath it for hunting from a boat, (i've got a canoeing vest that does not rise above the chest). plus it seems that the smaller size was just too small, and likely wouldn't have fit waders underneath. problem: the sip-out liner is huge...warm, but huge. The coat is newer, and I don't really think I need to bring it back. My question to you all is, should I worry about catching the stock on the coat when I raise my gun?Should I leave the liner out until it's absolutely needed? Or should I invest in a tighter fitting shell/coat for days when the weather is better? Maybe you can give your thoughs and experiences?

Anyone have anythoughts about those hybrid wading jackets? Worth the $, waterproof?
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby thaner » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:32 pm

Dress up and go shoot something. Maybe some clay targets. See how it works. If you have gun hang up problems you may need to change. I usually get stuff a size bigger for layering. This year I got some new cold weather deer hunting stuff and I layered all up at Cabela's and picked up a used gun and tried it out to see how well it worked right in the store.

I don't know about high tech but I have a basic wader jacket with gortex and I love it, wouldn’t have one without the waterproofing for water fowling.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:02 pm

I didn't actually go shoot, but I did stand around quickly raising the stock to my shoulder, anchoring at different points. So far it hasn't seemed to unusual...occasionally it gets hung up, but thats quite rare.

I guess that answers my question a bit, if I can still raise the gun to my shoulder without it catching 90-95% of the time I should be pretty well off. But still, what do any of you think of the hybrid wading jackets? or simply a wading jacket...I saw that neoprene one from cabelas, but it can't be that warm can it?
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum