Layout blind?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Layout blind?

Postby MJO21 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:36 am

I am needing to get two blinds so cost us a major factor. One for me and one for my kids. I am curious on everyone's opinions of the Cabelas brand blinds, Rodger's, Beavertail, and Final Approach. I want to lean more to Cabelas because I can pick up from the store near my house and avoid a shipping fee. Which brand and model do you recommend or not recommend? Any models you would recommend that I did not list? I hunt mostly sandbars, I am planning on getting into field hunting also in the future.

Thanks, Mike
MJO21
hunter

Re: Layout blind?

Postby Honk-n-quack » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:40 am

cabelas by far makes the best layout blinds...I have their ultimate and its awesome...tanglefree is good also
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:55 am

What about one of those apprentice blinds. http://www.cabelas.com/product/HARD-COR ... 632032.uts

On sale right now at cabelas.
“The Blue Book says we've got to go out and it doesn't say a damn thing about having to come back.” -
Captain Patrick Etheridge, USLSS
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:39 am

Another vote for Cabela's blinds.

I have an interceptor elite that is great. very durable, hides good. easy to get it set up, and the doors are easy to pop open. there are 3 elites and an ultimate between me and a few of my Buddies and my self and none of us have had any trouble out of them.

My little brother has a Roger's goose buster that is nice too, he really likes it and its pretty close to my Cabela's elite. All though I think the Cabela's blind is a little more refined and has a slightly higher quality feeling and finish. But the goose buster blind can be the best deal if you get the package with the snow cover and goose flag.

I can say stay away from the Red head blinds and the HS hitman. both have some major flaws.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby MJO21 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:50 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:What about one of those apprentice blinds. http://www.cabelas.com/product/HARD-COR ... 632032.uts

I really liked the way those looked and having my kid right next to me. Some people steered me away from them saying because of the overall size they will be hard to hide, and if I am by myself it would be a pain..
MJO21
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:55 pm

MJO21 wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:What about one of those apprentice blinds. http://www.cabelas.com/product/HARD-COR ... 632032.uts

I really liked the way those looked and having my kid right next to me. Some people steered me away from them saying because of the overall size they will be hard to hide, and if I am by myself it would be a pain..

I don't know. This way youd be able to take them more often. Would it be as hard to hide one bigger blind than 2 full size? I like the fact you can talk and he's right there so you can keep an eye on them until they get a little bigger.
“The Blue Book says we've got to go out and it doesn't say a damn thing about having to come back.” -
Captain Patrick Etheridge, USLSS
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:50 pm

thing is if you want to go on your own it would be tough...also it would be a pain to transport/assemble in the field
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:46 pm

Killzone are pretty much finisher blinds for 125.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
I'm just like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it!- Joker

I'm not a monster; I just ahead of the curve!- Joker
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby 11-87 Va » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:58 pm

I just got a Beavertail from Cabela's today. It is the Gunner and although I haven't hunted it yet I think I'm gonna like it. After putting it together, I can see that it's gonna set up pretty quickly. It has a ton of room and the doors open very quickly. The stubble straps are snug to the fabric so the stuff you put in them stays in place. The best thing that I can tell that I'm gonna like the most is it is way more comfortable than the FA X2 that I'm using now. After four hours in the X2, I feel like I've been beat with a bat. Not real young anymore I guess. It has a spring loaded seat design that I may or may not use and you can change the angle of the back rest. It was also on sale at Cabela's and that was a big reason with this brand. Hope this helps.
I am second
11-87 Va
hunter

Postby TRL91 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:19 pm

Nelliboy2 wrote:Killzone are pretty much finisher blinds for 125.

I have a Finisher and love it! The killzone looks like a spitting image for less than half the price. A big plus with these blinds is they fold really small and thin. Keep this in mind, if your going to be tight on space your going to need the room. I also have buddies who have cabelas blinds and they have nothing but good thing to say.
TRL91
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:18 am

TRL91 wrote:
Nelliboy2 wrote:Killzone are pretty much finisher blinds for 125.

I have a Finisher and love it! The killzone looks like a spitting image for less than half the price. A big plus with these blinds is they fold really small and thin. Keep this in mind, if your going to be tight on space your going to need the room. I also have buddies who have cabelas blinds and they have nothing but good thing to say.

I have two finishers but decided I needed two more just to have for loaners. I've been happy with them, except I would not recommend their green color. When I bought it it looked just a shade darker than shadow grass....well it's dark green so I really have to stuble them up or they stick out. I'd buy the brown color in a heart beat.

I'm just like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it!- Joker

I'm not a monster; I just ahead of the curve!- Joker
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:18 pm

If you want cheap, get the Mobile 1 or FA eliminator express. $99 is brown and you're going to grass or corn it anyways. I spray paint blinds in brown and tiger stripe them a little. The hide better in grass, but not the best option if you are 6" or taller. :smile:
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MJO21 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:28 pm

Thanks for all your help. I went with a Cabela's Northern Flight Moblie 1for her and a Beavertail Gunner for me.
MJO21
hunter

Postby skybusterbob » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:58 pm

I have a cabelas and an old FA. I like them both and depending on the field type I use one or the other since one is khaki and other is shadowgrass. The only downside to the cabelas blind is if you break a plastic clip in the door in the cold weather they are useless. You can't get the part from cabelas either they tell me.
skybusterbob
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:31 am

Love my powerhunter

Blog- http://www.ksducks.com
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby mdycrk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:46 pm

I've hunted out of an Avery finisher and I have a Cabela's ultimate. The cabela's is hands down the best I've ever been in. Great room, setup is a breeze and waterproof. Mine has the pins that hold the frame together but the other guys I hunt with who bought some later, theirs just use hooks that snap in. You can set those up in honestly less than 2 minutes.
mdycrk
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum