Ear Protection

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Ear Protection

Postby fadetoblack188 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:32 am

What protection you guys wearing on your ears in the blind or boat? Want something I can still talk to the guys in but protect from the shots.. My ears are ringing after yesterday

My friends have the pro ears stalker gold, but i can see spending 300 bucks on them. Do the howard leight ones amplify other sounds and keep the shots muffled as well?
fadetoblack188
hunter

Re: Ear Protection

Postby aclumpkin » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:40 am

I almost always wear Surefire Sonic Defenders. They are good enough that I can still talk to people and still hear ducks for the most part. I am sure they are not as good as the electronic $300+ ones (have never tried the $300+ ones to be honest) but they work for me and I did not want to pay that much right now for ear protection.

For ~$10 to $20 a pair, it might be worth a try for you.
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby bttrym8 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:36 am

$50 Howard leights from cabelas work great [THUMBS UP SIGN] I'm in my third season with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bttrym8
hunter

Postby fadetoblack188 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:45 am

do they amplify birds comming in? and you can hear your own calls with no issue?
fadetoblack188
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:47 am

ear doc made me a set of "musicians ear plugs" and I love them. 100 bucks
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby fadetoblack188 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:01 am

Picked up a pair if the Howard leight impact sports. Very comfortable seem to amplify sounds great. Guess we will see how they are in the boat.
fadetoblack188
hunter

Postby kindervb » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:46 pm

My hearing is wrecked from a combination of heredity and shooting when I was younger without protection. I use the ESP Elite Classic, they are amplified so I can hear ducks and have a conversation they work great. I normally wear hearing aids so this is a good solution for me.
kindervb
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:19 pm

I am another fan of Sonics, I have been wearing them for years and my hearing is just fine.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby bttrym8 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:51 pm

fadetoblack188 wrote:do they amplify birds comming in? and you can hear your own calls with no issue?

Sorry it took so long to reply. I think it helps and you can hear calling with no issues. It I had more cash id spring for the ones with four microphones instead of two

bttrym8
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:08 pm

I have some etymotic gunsports, and they are awesome. Got a deal on em, but after using them I would've paid full price. My hearing gets torn up enough from jet engines. I figure I can help stave it off a little with some good protection when shooting.

I also can't stand calling with plugs in, but these make it sound like normal. Plus amplifiers if I wanna hear birds or Turkey's gobbling in the distance.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:59 am

I started this season out with the Sonics. Lasted a few weeks. They hurt my ears that I almost couldn't lay on my side when I went to bed. Located a local ear Doc for molds and talked a little bit. I'll spend the $100 and I need my ears for work. If they go, my job goes.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby bttrym8 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:02 am

B.E.Nelli wrote:I have some etymotic gunsports, and they are awesome. Got a deal on em, but after using them I would've paid full price. My hearing gets torn up enough from jet engines. I figure I can help stave it off a little with some good protection when shooting.

I also can't stand calling with plugs in, but these make it sound like normal. Plus amplifiers if I wanna hear birds or Turkey's gobbling in the distance.

Have you ever worn a pair of over the ears like the Howard leights? I have been curious about jumping on the gunsports as I hate wearing the bulky headset but can't compromise how much better my ears feel

bttrym8
hunter

Postby dysco » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:13 pm

I wear a walker game ear and an earplug. Works pretty good and better in wind than muffs.
dysco
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:02 pm

MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby Echospartan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:33 pm

I cut normal ear plugs in half, and stuff them under my fleece hat.
Pull 'em outta the sky!
Echospartan
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:20 pm

I never wear hearing protection but I have some yellow rubber ones that pop in and out real quick that I use for sighting in my rifle. they are much easier to put in than foam and they're only 5 bucks or so for a pair at bimart
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:28 pm

bttrym8 wrote:
B.E.Nelli wrote:I have some etymotic gunsports, and they are awesome. Got a deal on em, but after using them I would've paid full price. My hearing gets torn up enough from jet engines. I figure I can help stave it off a little with some good protection when shooting.

Have you ever worn a pair of over the ears like the Howard leights? I have been curious about jumping on the gunsports as I hate wearing the bulky headset but can't compromise how much better my ears feel

No I can't say that I have tried any muffs. These came with a bunch of different sized and styles of ear inserts so I would be very surprised if you don't find one to fit you. I have worn mine all day and not noticed any real discomfort.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:35 pm

B.E.Nelli wrote:
bttrym8 wrote:

No I can't say that I have tried any muffs. These came with a bunch of different sized and styles of ear inserts so I would be very surprised if you don't find one to fit you. I have worn mine all day and not noticed any real discomfort.

Howard Leight muffs are the way to go. Shouldering the gun with them on isn't any different for me when using them. And at 20 years old and with my hearing already starting to go, hearing protection is a must.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:54 pm

It's just me, but I never could I imagine rolling around in a layout with those on. Rather use customized plugs or generic ones. Then again I have my hunting cloths tailored and customized.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:32 pm

Different scenarios KK, I couldn't imagine hunting without them in a duck blind/pit that fits 8,9 guys trying to listen to the guy on the other end talk, but not go deaf after one hunt with sometimes 20+ shots ringing out.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:14 pm

Hear ya on that one (no pun). Using them in a pit makes sense.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:35 am

And not in a layout makes sense.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum