Looking at layouts

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Looking at layouts

Postby henny hen hen » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:07 pm

I am looking to stock up on gear this summer since I don't have much income in the winter. A layout is on the top of the list. Which is the most comfortable and easiest to hide need one that will keep me dry. I plan on hunting rice fields on the edge of the water most of the time and the stubble is likely to be rolled down. I want one that won't leave me with a sore neck. Price doesn't matter much as long as the quality is good. I plan on taking excellent care of it. Any info will be much appreciated.
henny hen hen
hunter

Re: Looking at layouts

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:15 pm

Cabela's hands down.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:28 pm

x2 love my ultimate. got it on super sale 180 modb at cabelas last yr
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby Easttx » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:45 pm

Cabelas lighting set blinds are on sale now. I just got another one. Very big, comfortable, tough blinds.
Easttx
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:06 am

I'm gonna sub t his since I'm in the market as well. Looking at picking up a few while they are on sale. I see ultimate, is that the ones you guys prefer? Weight for me isnt a problem since gear is trailered in.

Anyone have Tanglefree Deadzone? It's a huge mark down right now and comes with a snow cover. My only requirement is that it's not a powerhunter and is easy to put up and take down. Must have swing doors.
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby henny hen hen » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:47 pm

I think I have decided on cabelas ultimate unless someone says somethin that changes my mind they seem like a great blind for the price range and features. Now $190- $210 on cabelas that's about a $90 price break. I saw few that were significantally higher but I feel the ultimate is just as good. I would still appreciate more feedback.
henny hen hen
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:36 pm

I'd go ahead and get it! I have the elite, and my buddy has the ultimate. I wish I'd spent a little more for the ultimate (he got us the blinds at employee pricing :yes: ) as the water proof bottom would have been handy on a few hunts as well as the cup holder his has is nice. other wise they are pretty dang close as to the build of the blinds and I absolutely love my blind and I have laid down in a lot of other blinds and put together a few as well for other friends and have yet to find anything as good as a Cabela's as far as durability, function, comfort, and fit/finish go. closest runner up is the Roger's blinds, everything else is pretty shotty in one way or another or I do not like how its set up.

other blinds I put together and I often hunt with guys who have them.
Roger's goose buster- rivals the Cabela's elite that I have but a slightly smaller tube frame (feels flimsy to me), and has stiff wire in the mesh so you can poke your head up through it just right or easily. but it hides decent like my cabela's and is a great buy for the money if you get the package with goose flag and snow cover.
HS hitman blind- doesnt fold down enough, "spring assist doors" are harder than normal doors to open, no face mesh cover. but its comfortable and hides well due to its angled design.
Redhead- steel frame with tiny plastic fittings, only half camo, uncomfortable, doesnt fold up or pack well.
Rig-'em right- kind of small, the doors are seperate so there is a HUGE gap at the side of each door that looks unfinished and lets lots of cold wind/rain/ snow in, doors are also pretty short, BUT on the upside it does have tons of stuble straps and a decent seat.
Avery power hunter- only the head rest frame so its very uncomfortable, small and sleeping bag like, the hood will close on you while trying to shoot with a decent wind also shows a lot of body movement. doesnt hide the best due to the tall hood, but the torso, leg, and foot part of the blind hide well. Also packs well
Roger's LP- small, floppy doors, uncomfortable, shows ALL body movement, but it does a great job of hiding you low and packs really easy.

2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:12 am

This is the one I have.

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-MPW09913-MX4

I love it. you couldn't give me a Powerhunter. Too small and I don't like the flip top I prefer doors
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:40 am

I have a tanglefree originator also and it makes a great loaner blind..very well built
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby Fowlhunter22 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:17 pm

Look at the rogers blinds I have sat in those and they are pretty comfortable. Although I do own a Cabelas Ultimate and it is nice just a little tall
Fowlhunter22
hunter

Postby henny hen hen » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:04 pm

Does anyone have a pic of the ultimate next to standing rice stubble or can someone take one and post it please.
henny hen hen
hunter

Postby henny hen hen » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:12 pm

Also how easy is it to see how the birds are working out of the ultimate is? Including behind you I feel this is important for calling since the birds are often call shy in my area of northeast Arkansas and it is easy to blow them out of the field if u can't see what they are doing. But it may not matter if concealment is good enough. Idk I have never hunted out of a layout.
henny hen hen
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:26 pm

the ultimate is great for vision. The mesh has a flexable wire in it so you can conform it around you head/ hat or over you and you can still see fine.

its kind of hard to explain since you've never been in a layout before, but you'll understand when you get it. I dont hunt rice fields, but I've hunted in some pretty dang slim cover areas and still had no trouble killing birds from a layout. It just takes a little practice and an eye for "brushing up" your blind blend it in to the area around the blind and pretty solid, as well making sure there are no things that really stick out or cast a large shadow.

here is mine on a pond bank that is just 8-10in grass all the way around. easy hiding.

2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby henny hen hen » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:33 pm

Ok thanks everyone
henny hen hen
hunter

Postby MJO21 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:21 am

I just bought a Beavertail gunner on sale for $199 and a Cabela's Northern Flightâ„¢ Mobile 1 Layout Blind on sale for $99. After putting them together and laying in them I found the Beavertail to be much more comfortable, it has a rigid back rest. For ease of use and what looks like it would be much easier to hide the Cabelas blind would get the hands down nod.
MJO21
hunter

Postby Trout&Duck » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:41 pm

How small does the cabelas lighting set fold up, I'm going to college this fall so storage space is limited.
Trout&Duck
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:37 pm

henny hen hen wrote:Also how easy is it to see how the birds are working out of the ultimate is? Including behind you

Seeing behind you from a prone position is a physiological issue, not a blind issue. No blind will put eyes in the back of your head.
mudpack
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum