Call Lanyards

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Call Lanyards

Postby AR Dave » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:29 pm

So all of a sudden ducks come out of no where and are leaving just as fast. I grab for one of the 3 calls on my Lanyard - not going to be the first, fumble for the 2nd one - nope, grab the first one again, where the heck is the right one - probably lodged in the waders. By this time they can't even hear a please come back call. Any tips on managing calls? LOL
AR Dave
hunter

Re: Call Lanyards

Postby DuckManClyde » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:08 pm

ive done it too, Ive just learned to look down or have one in my hand ready.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby waterrat2 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:20 pm

I too have had this problem. I swithched to the three drop lanyard. My goto call is always in the bottom middle. Gravity will keep it lowest on my chest.
waterrat2
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:35 pm

Try holding #1 in your hand all the time. Otherwise get three calls that are the same.
You got three mallard calls on the lanyard so use which one you grab first...ducks ain't that picky.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby SteveInOR » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:15 pm

I keep my primary call on the left side, kinda high up on the lanyard. Close to my mouth and away from my gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SteveInOR
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:35 pm

I have 2 mallard calls on my Buck Gardner Lanyard and never have a issue mixing them up. On this lanyard you can adjust the drops, also I use one acrylic call and one wood call, I can tell them by the feel.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby SteveInOR » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:52 pm

AR Dave wrote:So all of a sudden ducks come out of no where and are leaving just as fast. I grab for one of the 3 calls on my Lanyard - not going to be the first, fumble for the 2nd one - nope, grab the first one again, where the heck is the right one - probably lodged in the waders. By this time they can't even hear a please come back call. Any tips on managing calls? LOL

http://www.mccustomlanyards.com/index.html

Try one of these. I think the guy who makes them is a contributor here. I'm going to order some stuff from him soon. One of the products is a wrist lanyard. All of the neck lanyards have adjustable drops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SteveInOR
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:18 pm

Good stuff! Those wrist Lanyards are interesting.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby YJSONLY » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:55 pm

AR Dave wrote:Good stuff! Those wrist Lanyards are interesting.

Seen a guy use a wrist lanyard in a layout couple weeks ago for fast access.
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:48 am

I think I'll experiment around with that ideal. Just had another thought - instead of a big necklace, make shorter call drops that hook to the ring (or somewhere) on your waders. Have a call on your right another on the left, just long enough to reach your mouth. Would be easy to find the one I'm looking for. I'm going to do something about all the tangling up.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:03 am

If the ducks are so close you don't have time to grab the right call, then you don't need to be calling. Wait until they make a 60 yard swing.....then pick up the call and use it.
mudpack
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:19 pm

We might be hunting the swamp, where we don't see them coming over the tree's, from behind or something. I'll give a soft hen quack, as they pass us, then watch them fly down the swamp checking other holes before circling back to me. I never hunt public land. I'm very confident that this technique works in our situation and because of experience doing this, can pretty much determine, for myself, if I need to be calling or not. Other times a group of Widgeon might come sailing in, trying to decide between our flooded hole or the sheet water 200 yds behind us. A little whistle Widgeon Call gets them to come back around again. Flock of Mallards, circling our many decoys in our 100 acre flooded corn. There are usually a lot of ducks there - they are not quiet - they make a lot of noise. Again a soft hen call or a drake humm, adds just a little reality. We're very aware of when to shut up. In the swamp, I use that little Gadwall beep which is very effective, cause that's what ducks here when flying up and down the swamp. We rarely have 360 viewing from our blinds or the cypress tree, we backed up too - get caught all the time. It's like trying to get our guns up when that Woodie comes ripping past us in the morning - "why didn't you shoot that?" "I was letting you have it". As far as not calling - I spend a lot of time observing ducks when they're not being hunted. Have a pond behind our house - at one time had a broken wing mallard hen on it. I'd go down and flush the ducks that had joined her. Every time she gave that hen call, she could turn those drakes back. They'd fly by and try to leave pattern, she'd give the call, boom turn em right back like they were on a leash.

What kind of holes do you hunt, where you always have time to call them in or if they're close they've already committed?
AR Dave
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum