Solid Colors

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Solid Colors

Postby Danny Weatherford » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:55 pm

I mostly hunt in solid colors (dark browns and greens) I recently purchased a "field tan" colored jacket but it is a little bright for hunting in my local swamps and timber holes. Is their any way to darken it up some? I purchased Filson Oil Wax for water proofing, but will this add that darker shade I need?
Danny Weatherford
hunter

Re: Solid Colors

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:16 pm

the wax should darken it up some, but if that doesnt get it dark enough you can mist it with spray paint.

but remember that lighter is better, you can always darken your self up with some vegetation and a small makeshift blind around you. Too dark and you stick out like a big blob.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Danny Weatherford » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:24 pm

Thanks for the reply, you are correct. The only reason I ask is because I was hunting some swamp (cypress trees) this morning and had duck circle and circle but wouldn't commit. This was the first time I took this jacket out in a hunt. I might just not have been where they wanted to be and I'm over thinking the situation :huh: .
Danny Weatherford
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:47 pm

hard to tell, nobody has been able to read duck minds yet!
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby SteveInOR » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:46 pm

Curious, why don't you use camo? There's a pattern to match just about any situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SteveInOR
hunter

Postby handyandy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:06 am

cause it usually cost more and really is more for looks truthfully. Do I have camo stuff yes but I also have a lot of solid color stuff as well. I find myself buying more solid color stuff now as I have really begun to prefer wool as my waterfowling material and most wool stuff is usually a solid color.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby Danny Weatherford » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:41 pm

Handy hit the nail on the head. I prefer solid colors but I do have some camo. I like to think of myself being more of a traditional hunter.
Danny Weatherford
hunter

Postby SteveInOR » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:58 pm

More for looks? Maybe to a certain extent, considering an "improved" pattern comes out every month it seems like. But I would be willing to bet that if you were in some camo that was similar to your surroundings those late season birds would come closer.

SteveInOR
hunter

Postby handyandy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:31 am

maybe so but most of the time I'm hidden in a blind of some sort be it a boat or stuff piled up from around the area so I question how much good camo is. Most newer patterns have to much going on and from a little distance just look like a dark brown anyways. I don't dislike camo but I question how much it helps these ducks didn't care that my waders are brown and tan and that my buddy was wearing a carhart. We were just floating a small river and shooting them when we got close enough.
Attachments
IMG_0507.JPG
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:03 pm

handyandy wrote:cause it usually cost more and really is more for looks truthfully.

Correct on the first part, but not on the second.
The world's militaries would not buy camouflage if it were not effective. About 99% of hunters believe in camo, and experience backs them up.
mudpack
hunter

Postby SteveInOR » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:21 pm

handyandy wrote:maybe so but most of the time I'm hidden in a blind of some sort be it a boat or stuff piled up from around the area so I question how much good camo is. Most newer patterns have to much going on and from a little distance just look like a dark brown anyways. I don't dislike camo but I question how much it helps these ducks didn't care that my waders are brown and tan and that my buddy was wearing a carhart. We were just floating a small river and shooting them when we got close enough.

Birds can see a lot better than you and I. Sounds like in your normal hunting situations you are hiding behind some type of natural material or build a blind, which is essentially camouflaging yourself. In the scenario you described where the birds were flaring in the timber you weren't hiding, but standing in a solid color. See where I'm going with this?

SteveInOR
hunter

Postby handyandy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:28 pm

To me to many people get worked up over having matching camo and the right camo. Yes in some situations it helps but a lot of times it's really not a big a deal if you have something that matches the backround. I think a lot of camos would be better off if they just used a few simple colors in larger patterns that would break up a outline better most just have to much going on. What happened to good camo patterns like the old corn field camo that stuff was great in a corn field obviously but also any tan dead marsh grass background. Or the old advantage wetlands camo was pretty good.

handyandy
hunter

Postby SteveInOR » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:49 pm

handyandy wrote:To me to many people get worked up over having matching camo and the right camo. Yes in some situations it helps but a lot of times it's really not a big a deal if you have something that matches the backround. I think a lot of camos would be better off if they just used a few simple colors in larger patterns that would break up a outline better most just have to much going on. What happened to good camo patterns like the old corn field camo that stuff was great in a corn field obviously but also any tan dead marsh grass background. Or the old advantage wetlands camo was pretty good.

I have a pair of waders in the old style advantage wetlands, it doesn't look as fancy as the new stuff but I think it blends in better.

SteveInOR
hunter

Postby Danny Weatherford » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:42 pm

In many situation the right camo pattern works perfectly but the same sentence so does plain colors and being still. I not here to argue why I don't wear all the newest camo on the market, I was just asking how to darken up a jacket that I purchased.
Danny Weatherford
hunter

Postby garlicsalt » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:52 pm

it's all about being broke up (break up) take a look at the book " goose and duck hunting " by chuck adams he kills buttloads of both wearing a red and black flannel shirt. spray paint dose work just ad foliage. good duckn.
garlicsalt
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:29 pm

Nothing wrong with wearing solids man. Folks have killed a bazillion ducks before camo was even a idea in someone's head. I wear lots of solids and some camo. Timber hunting in solids is money in my book. Only camo I wear in the timber is my waders. Get against a tree and be still. No need for camo there IMHO. Now if I'm hunting marshes or open areas I wear camo mostly

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby Danny Weatherford » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:27 pm

I agree with you Luvbowhuntn, it has worked for me for years now, yes when Im hunting down on the Coast I like to where all camo that is brighter... I still waiting on my Filson wax to come in hopefully it will add that darker richer color that I am looking for..
Danny Weatherford
hunter

Postby duckhunter888 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:48 am

Military Camo is the most effective Camo on the planet, no exception. Crye Precision who invented multicam designed it for the military to be effective and keep our guys alive. It is now offered in versions specific to territories/surroundings/conditions. Hunting Camo is over rated and yes I do own some, but all hunting Camo is designed for all if us to spend our money on it. It's a multi million dollar industry in just the designs and patterns alone. I expect Camo to be effective and could care less if it looks good. I have a few solids as well. Carry on...
duckhunter888
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum