Decoy Dolly from Cabelas?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Decoy Dolly from Cabelas?

Postby huntmq1 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:46 am

Any one ever use this decoy dolly from Cabelas? It looks pretty neat, not for the THICK marsh I know. Where I hunt is pretty much like the Cabelas picture in the advertisement, flat and open. Plus lugging those dekes close to a mile sux! Please click on the underlined site below, Cabelas site, to see what I am talking about. Thanks!
www.Cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/po ... ction=push
Last edited by huntmq1 on Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
huntmq1
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:30 am

Not one person uses this thing or has seen one being used by someone else????????? You're kidding right??????
:salude:
huntmq1
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:38 pm

I don't use it, didnt even know it existed... Cheaper than most layouts (unless you made it yourself), does multiple duties...sounds and looks good. If you like it, give it a try...tell us how it works.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:27 pm

i have a basic game cart that I bought from Cabela's several years ago for around $100. I use it once in a while when I am hunting by myself and have a long way to pack in. I'll strap 2 decoy bags and assorted other gear to it, then put my laydown blind on my back and head out. Beats making several very long trips.
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby tstrong » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:17 pm

Don't use that one. I have seen them at the refuges. At the end of the day the water and muddy gear make it worse. I use an old deer cart my wife got me from Cabelas years ago. I got the sled (it's actually a small boat also cabelas) that I strap to the cart and off I go. I usually hunt the marshes, leave the cart on the shore and pull the sled through the water, My walk is much easier in the deep mud. When I get settled the dog sits in the sled and out of the water.
tstrong
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:29 am

HuntMQ....touch base with Dogman! He made one with little cost and it is quite nice!

I have a tutorial for one....but it is a large document over 1.6 MB and in ppt which I canot download........I might be able to send it to you via e-mail .... if you like, I will try

lastly....if you are inclined to be creative.....find a used golf bag cart at a garage sale for a few dollars....the newer version with the wide wheels.....can be easily converted to take a load with 3/8" plywood, and will fold up for hiding/storage.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dogman » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:13 pm

here it is http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/album_page.php?pic_id=33 For anyone interested I can give details on how its built.
Last edited by Dogman on Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby huntmq1 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:57 am

Thanks guys for the replies. I just didn't want to spend $250 on something thats "untested", figured someone out there has seen one in use or they have used one. I'll check out the build plans posted. Everyone be safe out there.
:salude:
huntmq1
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:30 am

Dogman.....trying to open your post, it shows that page can not be displayed.. :pissed: . Is all of the www.site listed in the post or is the system jacked up? Thanks. :thumbsup:
huntmq1
hunter

Postby Dogman » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:47 am

I can't get it to open either,I'll try posting it again when I figure out what went wrong-sorry about that.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dukhnter7 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:08 pm

Take out the "IS" at the front and the "FOR" at the end and it should work.
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby Dogman » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:25 pm

Thanks dukhnter7,that worked.As for instructions I'll have to work up some and post them.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby the old man » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:52 am

I don't use the cart, but bought a sled from Cableas and built a harness for my YML. He loves to pull it. I can carry aboout 4 doz. decoys with ease. I also use it for yard work. I just load it up with flowers, mulch, limbs, and he pulls it to where my wants them planted or dumped. I guess you could say thet I have a true yard Dog :getdown:
You don't have to be crazy to duck hunt, but it helps.
the old man
hunter

Postby Oldducknut » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:23 am

To me it is a Gimmick with little practical application :hammering:
Oldducknut
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:23 pm

its all about making your hunting experience more enjoyable. I had the same idea last year and we tried it...

we hunt a refuge near fallon, NV. One of our favorite spots is about 3/4 mile walk (through fairly flat very fine soil) from the road. We cary all of our equip with waders on plus homemade marsh seats--pretty hard work and we havn't even hit the water yet. So we bought a deer cart from cabelas and piled our gear on it. It works pretty well; two of us have to pull it because of the terrain. We leave it at waters edge and use it to haul everything back. it has its ups and downs but it does beat having decoys, gun, blind bag etc. stacked up on your back for a near mile trek through crappy soil
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Sun May 01, 2005 1:23 pm

Way too small for my needs. I bought the Cabelas magnum deer hauler a few years ago, use it maybe twice a year if too muddy to drive into the field while goose hunting. I spray several coats of tan paint onto it as it comes a dark color.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun May 01, 2005 1:47 pm

The wheels on most of the game carriers are to narrow, like bike tire. In muddy conditions they sink under the weight. I made my own cart with two wheel barrow tires. the ones that are kinda meaty looking and flat treaded not the rounded off ones. I made a 2X4 frame two 3/4" electrical conduits for handles(that i bent into shape). I strap the larege cabelas sled to it and carry about 150 - 200 lbs of gear out every hunt.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby JJ McGuire » Mon May 02, 2005 10:05 am

h2ofwlr wrote:Way too small for my needs. I bought the Cabelas magnum deer hauler a few years ago, use it maybe twice a year if too muddy to drive into the field while goose hunting. I spray several coats of tan paint onto it as it comes a dark color.

I use a mag deer hauler, it works great :thumbsup:
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:14 pm

$150 that decoy cart should carry more than one bag. I think more like 2 or 3n
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby darick silsby » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:31 am

My brother inlaw has the cabellas dolly you speak of. Him and his son hate it. It really is no help in packing gear.You still have all the wieght supported by your arms. They are dead tired after a 1/4 mile pull, and thats when they take turns. Save your self--DONT BUY IT-DONT BUY IT
DONT BUY IT.I think this is the best tip you may recieve in your life time

Seasoned vet.
aim small miss small,
Mel Gibson- The patriot
darick silsby
hunter

Postby marcbme » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:12 pm

I have one. I enjoy it. Everyone has their opinions of course, but in my opinion, it's worth it. :thumbsup:
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Postby canadagoose » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:09 am

Does anyone hook any sort of dolly up to the back of a bike? I've been thinking about giving that a try this year.
canadagoose
hunter

Postby MOTODUCK » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:13 pm

I have one of those carts, but I only use it a couple of times a year. We can put 3 bags of decoys (2 - 2 1/2 dozen in each bag), two guns, and two blind bags on it. I would suggest getting a good set of tie down straps at the same time though.
MOTODUCK
Newb

Postby gryfox5512 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:28 pm

Been using Decoy Dolly for 4 years--best method (other than atv) to move large amounts of gear. The decoy bags with fitted staps various sizes are great. Has new layout blind attachment, converts into 2 man seat. I'm 66 yrs young(been hunting 60) I have no trouble moving through the rice fields of no cal. I keep my other gear in mad dog dry bags--2 dozen mag decoys float the whole thing in 2 ft water.Doug Herter of Kansas makes the product and stands behind it 100%.Only problem is better half has laid down the law that my Cabelas bill can' t :toofunny: exceed the house pmt :eek: good hunting :thumbsup:
GRYFOX Save our 2nd amendment. Benefactor-Life member NRA, member CWA, DU, Delta waterfowl
gryfox5512
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum