Camo patterns

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Camo patterns

Postby Romo » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:56 am

Does anyone believe there's a need for a new waterfowling camo pattern? If so, what do you think works or doesn't work? Do you think the camo should be contrast and confuse or photorealism. What do you like and dislike? Realtree, Mossy Oak, Optifade?
Romo
hunter

Re: Camo patterns

Postby ksfowler166 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:55 am

For once an actual intelligent camouflage question. I believe that there are limited times when camo is effective. Namely when you are out of the blind or the cover you were concealed in. If you are concealed in cover or a blind than camouflage does not matter. As for what type of camo I like I believe that contrast and confuse is the only way to go. The photoreal camo just turns into dark blob that still looks like a predator (ie human) when one is not behind cover or in a blind (which defeats the purpose of camo). Here is my favorite article on the subject. http://whitetail.com/camo1.html I know that it is about whitetail deer but the principles of camouflage and concealment are the same whether you are hiding from ducks, deer, turkeys, or humans. Patterns that are make for waterfowl that I like and have used are Drake Old School (slight mod on a 1940's military pattern) and Sitka Optifade Marsh. For patterns that are not make for waterfowl (which I think work just as well if used in appropriate environments) are Sitka Optifade Open Country, the military Desert Camouflage Uniform aka "coffee stain camouflage", and marine pattern marpat woodland and desert camouflage. Now going along with what I said in the beginning I also have used earth tone solid colors to.
De Oppresso Liber
ksfowler166
hunter

Postby mitchmc » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:23 pm

I actually worked for Realtree for several years. I have seen the camo industry evolve into a battle of modern day technology. but the bottom line is this. ducks don't give two hoots in hell if you wear Max 4 or the original woodland camo. as long as you break up your outline general with blinds or brush you are in good shape. Todays hunters buy all their gear clad in their favorite camo, so needless to say the various patterns are for our on pleasure and not the game that we pursue.
YOU GOT TO BUST UM IN THE LIPS!!
mitchmc
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:18 pm

I believe in camo, but camo that matches the immediate environment in overall coloration.
Wearing ShadowGrass while laying on disced ground or a bare creek bank doesn't do much good. Neither does wearing Max 4 or All-Purpose Green while hunting in dead bulrush or cattails or cornstalks.

Match the overall coloration and the specific pattern doesn't matter much.
mudpack
hunter

Postby redheaded » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:27 pm

mudpack wrote:I believe in camo, but camo that matches the immediate environment in overall coloration.
Wearing ShadowGrass while laying on disced ground or a bare creek bank doesn't do much good. Neither does wearing Max 4 or All-Purpose Green while hunting in dead bulrush or cattails or cornstalks.

Match the overall coloration and the specific pattern doesn't matter much.

Thats just what I would've said.
redheaded
hunter

Postby TROB » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:54 am

I'm more of a believer in shades (light/dark) than particular patterns. Lighter patterns blend in better for me. So, I guess I'm not really into contrast patterns.

However, if I wanted just a plain earth-tone jacket, I'm sure it would work fine. With the initial cost of the clothing being the same, you might as well buy camo. And clothing designed for waterfowl just works better (pockets, hood, waterproof, warm)
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby strutlife » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:35 pm

Sitka has two good digital camo patterns. Its "Confusing" to the eye when staired at. Only problem is, you would have to take out a second mortgage on your house to be able to afford their products.
strutlife
hunter

Postby bobalong » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:31 pm

I would like to see lighter colors for hunting the cereal crops up here. Most everything is to dark, but I have found a couple that do not work to bad, but still a bit to dark for me. The desert color ghille works pretty well in the peas.

bobalong
hunter

Postby Theircommited10 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:55 pm

I don't think there is a need . I actually think the best patterns where the ones they discontinued . It looks like Drake is slowly bringing them back though .
Theircommited10
DHC Sponsor

Postby delaware waterfowl » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:17 am

im a believer in a do it all pattern and mossy oak had it right from the start. get yourself a full set up of bottomland and you cant go wrong. i wear it for everything from duck to turkey and deer. its so basic that it works almost anywhere
delaware waterfowl
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:21 am

Theircommited10 wrote:I don't think there is a need . I actually think the best patterns where the ones they discontinued . It looks like Drake is slowly bringing them back though .

+1
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:00 pm

Theircommited10 wrote:I don't think there is a need . I actually think the best patterns where the ones they discontinued . It looks like Drake is slowly bringing them back though .

I agree. I know Drake seems to lack in the quality department on occasion, but they hit the nail on the head with their camo pattern choices. I'm a firm believer you can cover just about any situation with only 2 camo patterns. Mossy Oak Bottomland and the plain brown camo that Drake calls Old School. Those two patterns cover almost every situation you're gonna encounter. Especially if you're still

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby assateague » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:04 pm

ASAT camo. Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to find in waterproof/waterfowl type garments.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Honk-n-quack » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:16 pm

My favorite camo was MODB due to the fact it was so light. My little brother laid against a rock bank and he blended in quite well. That said I am still going to make ghillie suits for next year.
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:39 pm

the old school camo that drake is using. What was its original name before drake reintroduced it? Cant find anything thats not drake when you look up old school waterfowl camo
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:19 pm

Brown camo

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby noweil » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:20 pm

I think a lot of the new patterns are too dark. Of the new patterns, for areas I hunt, I would like to see some more clothing in Avery Killer Weed or Marsh Grass. My favorite camo pattern for years was cattail camo. I hunt a lot in corn, cattails, sedges, and dry reed canary grass and cattail camo worked well for years.

For early season I would really like to see some better green patterns. Something to match green reed canary grass in September. The cattails are often still green in October in ND.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:54 am

Camo patterns are too dark because they are designed to appeal to hunters in a store at 3' and look like a blob at longer distances.

The Old School camo is new name used. I don't know what they called it before. I have it in Green also, so Brown camo is not right until it was Brown and Green camo separately. I used to call it WWII camo, since it seems to be what some of the marines had back then.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mudpack » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:10 am

Luvbowhuntn wrote:Brown camo

That's exactly what the new Old Skool was called back when "brown camo" and "green camo" were the ONLY patterns you could buy. Once Tree Bark, Mossy Oak, and Real Tree started this madness, the old "brown camo" became "WW2 brown camo".

Camo-or-not? It is now a moot point: if you want efficient insulation, waterproof, breatheable, and any other desirable features in your outergarments (jackets, coats, bibs, waders, etc.) you don't have much choice. You'll have to get a camo color to get all the other features you want.

Look at it this way: while there may be situations where a camo pattern will not be of benefit, there will be many situations where it will help and there will be NO situations where camo will hurt you. :thumbsup: You can choose to wear it or not, it's up to you and you alone.

I have a list of camo patterns that I have been keeping for about 10 years. I update it about yearly. These are patterns that have been at one time, or currently are, offered to the public. Hard to believe, but there are 332 different camo patterns on that list. (and I'm quite sure I don't have all of them....) :lol3:
mudpack
hunter

Postby DKMF » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:03 pm

I have never tried it but I have herd good things about M2D camo. http://www.m2dcamo.com
DKMF
hunter

Postby JWG » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:40 pm

Anything brighter, I like the Shadowgrass Blades and KW-1 for my sits. But burned out carhartt does great as well!
JWG
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:56 pm

Them new camo patterns disappear on a nice movie set that has been literally designed and built around the camo pattern for that one photo shot for the ad.
In real life the same pattern turns into a blob because it's too dark and busy.
That old army camo works great. My boat blind is green army camo. Why change it just to be in style?
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby garlicsalt » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:56 pm

bump test
garlicsalt
hunter

Postby TomKat » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:09 am

DKMF wrote:I have never tried it but I have herd good things about M2D camo. http://www.m2dcamo.com

I have one of their hats that was given to me by DU. Its pretty cool looking.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby CaptainWv » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:33 am

Im looking into the Natural Gear stuff, its pretty plain, looks like it would work well just about anywhere
CaptainWv
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum