warmth without bulk

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Re: warmth without bulk

Postby PhlyPhisher » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:33 pm

Gore Tex outer shell with Pima Loft jacket underneath wins hands down! Doesn't matter what bands. You will be absolutely warm and dry with minimal bulk.

At the beginning of last season I found a $350 Beretta Gore tex parka on closeout for $150 and wore a columbia prima loft jacket under it. It was as warm as down with half the bulk and kept me dry as a duck's back.
PhlyPhisher
Newb

Postby rikasam2013 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:32 pm

Where I hunt here in Idaho it can be 60 to minus 10, these things work for me. Underarmor and duofold poly underwear, 1 layer to 3 layers depending on temp and activity. Polypro light socks with wool socks over them. Waders are either gortex light weights or 4mm neoprene depending. Coat is a brown military field jacket, camoed and waterproofed. If really nasty wet and cold, gortex outer jacket with hood goes over top of everything. Facemask and hat, or ski mask if very cold. Always take multiple pairs of gloves.
rikasam2013
hunter

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:16 pm

I did the same thing this year. Bought a North Face Denali fleece. Pricey but SOOOOOOOOO worth it. This thing is incredibly warm, and I can wear it around the town.
Fleece is the key I think...well, good fleece that is. Polartec.
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Postby KRB » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:55 pm

Love Patagonia mid weight capilene as base,then Columbia fleece sweatshirt, fleece vest, waterproof shell.
KRB
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:42 am

As long as you stay away from anything that contains cotton and stick with poly, poly fleece or wool, you will stay much warmer.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby kcwellington » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:47 pm

http://www.nrs.com they make a polartec union suit. its kinda pricey(149.99) but its the warmest single garment that i have. it's made for whitewater kayaking. no bulk whatsoever. i also "google" military wool sweater and you can usually find surplus 100% wool sweaters for around 25.00
kcwellington
hunter

Postby TheBlackduck » Wed May 21, 2014 3:36 pm

Carhartt Artic Wool socks, not sure they make them anymore, didn't see them last year, but they are the best of many I have tried. Fleece pajama pants(I prefer), or fleece "wader pants". Up top an under armor base layer and light fleece pullovers(1 or 2) as needed for warmth, with a River's West outer jacket for windproof/waterproof. Then chest waders or River's West bibs. Very lightweight, wicks moisture away, no noise. I have found nothing dryer or thinner than River's West for an outer layer. The only two problems I have had with it are (1) it doesn't breathe so you will sweat if you're active and (2) the "outer" fleece will soak up water and get heavy. That being said, when I'm active I sweat in anything, so I usually try to shed a few layers before setting dekes. And I'd rather have a heavily soaked outer layer than something that leaks at the seams and gives me a heavily soaked inner layer. The majority of the guys I hunt with/around are now making the switch. It's nice not hearing all that scraping nylon fabric in the blind as people swivel to watch for birds, and one day of hunting in the rain, when they come out soaked all the way through in other clothes, and I merely have a little moisture at the collar where it came in around my neck, well that tends to convert people.
TheBlackduck
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Gear Forum