What's your choice of gloves?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

What's your choice of gloves?

Postby OneTime » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:00 pm

What types of gloves do y'all wear? I'm in the market for new pair or two.
OneTime
hunter

Re: What's your choice of gloves?

Postby Nelliboy2 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:07 pm

I wear army surplus wool liners (green ones). I always have a couple pairs of these with me.

I wear PVC coated decoys gloves when I'm putting a spread out or doing anything with the boat.

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-MQG330
The only thing worse than being blind is having sight with no vision- Helen Keller
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:03 pm

I have the Cabelas Gor-Tex gloves but only use them when it gets below 30. They are ok but if you put your hand in then wet the liner try to then inside out when you pull your hand out. I usually don't wear gloves unless I absolutely have to because calling and gloves don't mix. A lot of times I'll just wear the Under Armor liner gloves just to cover up my hands, and I call decent with them on.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby redheaded » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:31 pm

I have the seal skin ones, they are excellent I'd say. Nice to have the waterproof dexterity. Only drawback is that they arent the warmest.
redheaded
hunter

Postby deadeyehawkins » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:57 pm

pvc style for putting out decoys as for me while hunting I keep my hands in my wader top hand warmer pocket with a hand warmer pack or two in it, I can't call with gloves on if I was just a shooter I would wear cabela's gortex gloves have a pair and they are really warm sometimes I put them on when the action is slow but most often not.
deadeyehawkins
hunter

Postby OneTime » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:52 pm

Since 75% of time when I hunt I have at least a 20-25 minute boat ride at 35mph that's the only time I wear gloves. I was just trying to get a general consensus of what y'all wore. Thanks for the input guys. Might order a pair of Cabelas Gor-Tex gloves for the upcoming season.
OneTime
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:04 pm

I usually just try to find the cheapest gloves because I only use them for getting to the hunting spot and decoy setup/takedown.

Sent from my Tim Grounds Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:34 am

The notch cut in the cuff makes them even quicker to slip on, pick them up there and the cuff falls open. Paid $3 for my newest pairs and have them stashed where they'll be handy any time I'm near water in Winter, as is the case with the inexpensive surplus wool liners I wear under them when it's really cold.

Can't call with either on, of course, so I keep a couple Zippo handwarmers going in my pockets while actually hunting.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby 007 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:34 am

Whatever Menards or Cabela's has on sale. Like others, I use gloves to get to and from.
In the blind I usually hunt with no gloves, only a left glove on and right hand in a pocket (preferred), or mittens if it's seriously cold (15 degrees or lower). WIth mittens, I throw both of them off if ducks start working. To each their own.
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:53 am

007 wrote:Whatever Menards or Cabela's has on sale. Like others, I use gloves to get to and from.
In the blind I usually hunt with no gloves, only a left glove on and right hand in a pocket (preferred), or mittens if it's seriously cold (15 degrees or lower). WIth mittens, I throw both of them off if ducks start working. To each their own.

Get yourself a heavy duty muff at gander mountain. They are great.

xtrema13
hunter

Postby PNWGator » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:11 pm

The rubber gloves Rick recommends above are awesome. I bought a pair this season and picked up decoys in some harsh weather and found them indespensible. Double thumbs up recommendation!
PNWGator
hunter

Postby xrated » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:29 am

Muff with 3 or 4 hand warmers going.

Then Gander Mountain brand Gore Windstopper gloves. Super thin but I am a big believer in Windstopper. All day in the deer stand at 20 degrees, most of a day in the goose fields from 5 to 20 and I was good to go. I've always had cold hands but these offered the best performance I can find for dexterity and warmth with the muff.

Looking at picking up some surplus shell mittens to wear over them next year for decoys in the field and boat rides. That way I could eliminate the choppers I pack for non hunting time.

Somewhere I posted a review and test of the Windstopper gloves, I will try and copy it later.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby jdr » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:49 pm

jdr
hunter

Postby click » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:16 pm

BKScripto wrote:I have the Cabelas Gor-Tex gloves but only use them when it gets below 30. They are ok but if you put your hand in then wet the liner try to then inside out when you pull your hand out. I usually don't wear gloves unless I absolutely have to because calling and gloves don't mix. A lot of times I'll just wear the Under Armor liner gloves just to cover up my hands, and I call decent with them on.

Another vote for the Under Armor Liner Gloves. Warm enough to keep the chill off but light enough to run a call or handle a gun. Neoprene for setting decoys.
Matt,
Proudly Owned By A CBR Wildwood's Slow Poke Blue Wing Timber
2014-2015 Season Recovery 100%
Days Hunted 20
2013-2014 Season Recovery 89.5%
Days Hunted 42
click
hunter

Postby uglymug » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:22 am

I wore water-proof gore-tex this past year that I picked up at Fleet Farm and it was very warm and light. Since the glove goes almost to your elbow it makes picking up decoys a cinch.
uglymug
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:15 am

goretex leather gloves with thinsulate insulation for me
Pigeons-231
Geese- 206
Ducks-37
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby nitram » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:23 pm

Sitka Merino.

Great as stand alone or as a liner and they'll let you work your smartphone as well.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby MN BMX Dad » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:09 pm

I use some pvc gloves from Wells Lamont for dealing with decoys. They are the only ones I could find that fit my hands.

I wear leather mittens sitting around waiting for lst. After that, I usually bare hand it or I have some insulated shooting gloves from Scheels.

http://www.wellslamont.com/index.php/work/93

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
MN BMX Dad
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:03 am

I've been duck hunting for 54 years and have yet to find a pair of gloves that work in all situations, all season. Consequently, I have about 16 different pair of gloves that I'll use at one time or another.
Generally speaking, I like thin fleece gloves and about four handwarmers; two in each pocket. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:59 am

I only wear them walking in or leaving. Can't believe no one else does this? Lol. Can't stand things on my hands calling or shooting. Pockets get used heavily for me.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:12 am

Duck_Stank wrote:I only wear them walking in or leaving. Can't believe no one else does this? Lol. Can't stand things on my hands calling or shooting. Pockets get used heavily for me.

Oh I'm right there with ya buddy.

xtrema13
hunter

Postby Ukcatshunter » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:17 am

I use the UA liner gloves. Also a cheapo set of Avery neoprene gloves for decoys I found at a gun store for $12.
Ukcatshunter
hunter

Postby wraithen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:58 am

Got an avery du shellholder and hanwarmer sleeve combo. Every time I wear gloves my hands get soaked one way or another so I dont bring em. I consider them back luck for my hands.
Education is important, but common sense is importanter ~ tknight006
wraithen
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:04 pm

mudpack wrote:I've been duck hunting for 54 years and have yet to find a pair of gloves that work in all situations, all season. Consequently, I have about 16 different pair of gloves that I'll use at one time or another.
Generally speaking, I like thin fleece gloves and about four handwarmers; two in each pocket. :thumbsup:

THIS

I own a bunch of gloves, they all suck. In Dec I fell in a slough with 3 pairs on my person, They were all soaked and worthless.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby wjarrell » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:12 pm

I hate gloves, I'd rather have freezing hands than wear gloves. The only time I wear gloves is when I can't feel my hands anymore. I use the thin Under Armor gloves. Not too thick, just enough to keep the chill off.
wjarrell
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum