Anyone ever use float tubes?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Anyone ever use float tubes?

Postby Tgunz_64 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:29 pm

Thinking about buying a float tube to bring with me for those hard to reach holes. Just curious if any of you guys use them or have used them and are they worth spending the money on? Looking at a Marshland float tube that is in max-4. Would also use fishing too. Just want something lightweight for when I go alone.
Tgunz_64
hunter

Re: Anyone ever use float tubes?

Postby justin_h635 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:02 pm

Have used in past to retrieve dekes and dead but cannot imagine shooting from one, especially in cold weather. Careful in freezing temps,as the bladders can freeze up and become brittle.
justin_h635
Newb

Postby scruggs12 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:12 pm

Tgunz_64 wrote:Thinking about buying a float tube to bring with me for those hard to reach holes. Just curious if any of you guys use them or have used them and are they worth spending the money on? Looking at a Marshland float tube that is in max-4. Would also use fishing too. Just want something lightweight for when I go alone.

If you are hunting anything tidal, do not get one!! Trust me! Otherwise, you will be fine. It is good for small sloughs and back marshes if it gets to deep to wade. Good luck.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby Tgunz_64 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:22 am

It wouldn't be used in an area with tides or large waves. And mainly just to set up dekes and retrieve where it's to deep or sloppy to walk in. Definitely not using it to paddle a long distance. Considering a kayak as well but a little hard to transport with an atv. Although it can be used on larger water and easier to paddle across a small lake.
Tgunz_64
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:17 pm

I hunted bad walk-in areas out of one years ago and don't recall shooting being a problem, just lack of quick mobility in the water for retrieving and such. Met a crew who hunt Okachobee (sp?) in FL out of them who said they solved that by rigging one for the dog. (Assume they only did in water cold enough to keep gators from jerking them under like corks.)
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby macmn3 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:51 pm

I hunt out of my float tube all the time. Usually use it to pick up ducks and dekes in deeper water, but after freeze-up i use it to float down small rivers that are still open, and shoot a lot of birds that way
Shoot 'em dead boys
macmn3
hunter

Postby nitram » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:55 pm

Great for a dog in open water and also for you to carry your stuff in and have a place to sit down. Standing in waders for a few hours without being able to take a load off sucks.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:04 am

I'd highly recommend a round tube that takes a 20 inch truck tube. I've never had faith in seem sealed bladder boats and you'll be able to float higher.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby nitram » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:22 am

HNTFSH wrote:I'd highly recommend a round tube that takes a 20 inch truck tube. I've never had faith in seem sealed bladder boats and you'll be able to float higher.

^^^^^^^SOLID^^^^^^^
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum