Organizing Hunting/fishing gear

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Organizing Hunting/fishing gear

Postby Hunter MN » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:38 pm

Hi guys, like most waterfowlers we have 3x more gear than we need.. But most of us also hunt deer, and upland game and probably fish. I'm looking for suggestions on how to keep all of my gear organized and easy to access. It gets old every time you go out searching for gear and not having it. It never fails the first time you go hunting you forget something.If anyone has suggestions or pictures of how they organize their gear that would be great! Thanks for the help.
Hunter MN
hunter

Re: Organizing Hunting/fishing gear

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:56 pm

I rely on a pile system.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:11 pm

Build a 50ft X 100ft workshop. I would start from there... :grooving:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby widuckhunter1 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:14 pm

Totes. One tote with waterfowl, one tote with upland, one tote with deer/big game. Or multiple totes for each pile of gear if needed. found this to be the best organization.
Born to hunt, forced to work.
widuckhunter1
hunter

Postby iamduckhead » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:51 pm

just waterfowl for me and gave up on organization years ago, I find stuff every year that I forgot I had.
iamduckhead
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:59 pm

Hunter MN wrote:Hi guys, like most waterfowlers we have 3x more gear than we need.. But most of us also hunt deer, and upland game and probably fish. I'm looking for suggestions on how to keep all of my gear organized and easy to access. It gets old every time you go out searching for gear and not having it. It never fails the first time you go hunting you forget something.If anyone has suggestions or pictures of how they organize their gear that would be great! Thanks for the help.

I built a 4'x8' frame with 2"x4"'s. I have a middle shelf and top shelf. You can put tree stands, guns, bow's on top. I cut some PVC and nailed it into one of the sides and put loose/extra arrows in it (seal the bottom). Middle shelf has blind bags, ammo boxes, Rubbermaid for clothes storage. Underneath is open and put decoy bags underneath the entire unit. I also put nails in the support to hang seats and cushions. Being that I am a technological mental midget, I cannot post pictures. Make sure you put support braces across the frames to support the plywood and weight of your gear. Picture a ladder made of 2"x4" with plywood nailed to it. I use carriage bolts to hold the upright side supports and shelves together and sturdy.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby xrated » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:17 am

another vote for totes.

they only work if you an walk away from the pile system though.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby Greenhead_Wrecker » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:16 pm

I am a bit of a "gear-head" and I organize my gear in totes; a separate one for waterfowl hunting, upland/ turkey hunting, deer hunting, and big game hunting. I also have a list that I include in the tote to make sure all the necessary gear is accounted for. I have learned time and time again to make a check list, or else you are bound to forget SOMETHING every time you go out :yes:
Greenhead_Wrecker
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:56 am

I use a combination of totes for clothes and duffel or fanny packs for gear. At the start of each season I put the essentials for each type of hunting in their respective container and I know everything I'll need will always be there. On the clothing I get home and wash & dry the necessary stuff and put them back into the bag or tote where I know I can grab it and go (stuff like underwear, non hunting socks and daily shirts & pants are obviously added prior to heading out).

Fortunately for deer & turkey hunting I can leave totes with bedding and some gear at our clubhouse so I don't have to haul them back & forth except to bring sheets home to wash every other trip or so. The only thing AI have to remember is a cooler with beer or a bottle with chaser for each trip.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:21 am

Rick Hall wrote:I rely on a pile system.

x2
Lonely wives, dirty trucks , and happy dogs.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:45 pm

widuckhunter1 wrote:Totes. One tote with waterfowl, one tote with upland, one tote with deer/big game. Or multiple totes for each pile of gear if needed. found this to be the best organization.

This...lemme try to find a picture of what I just did this year. It is a godsend
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:53 pm

OmegaRed wrote:
widuckhunter1 wrote:Totes. One tote with waterfowl, one tote with upland, one tote with deer/big game. Or multiple totes for each pile of gear if needed. found this to be the best organization.

This...lemme try to find a picture of what I just did this year. It is a godsend

The basement of the OCD hunter :no:
Lonely wives, dirty trucks , and happy dogs.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:56 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
OmegaRed wrote:

The basement of the OCD hunter :no:

Ya pretty much. Color coordinated, labeled. Don't have to worry about mold or mice though!
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby OmegaRed » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:05 pm

I've added about another 10. I ended up putting all my wine making stuff in there too. Then I just print out labels, laminate and double side tape. That way I have "mini messes" that I don't care about. If it fits in a bin, I don't care how it looks inside the bin really.

It took a little bit of time and planning to sort stuff, but I'll never have to do it again. Much better than having cardboard boxes get damp and nasty. I keep this stuff in my basement, but keep all my decoys and stuff in my barn. I have a loft that I can keep all the seasonal gear up in and somewhat in order by season. I don't get too worried about it as I have plenty of space.
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Mugzwump » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:47 pm

Piles... and piles. If it's not in the middle of the floor I'll never find it. I hung up my duck calls once... I hunted without them the next day cuz I couldn't find them... :clapping:

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:54 am

iamduckhead wrote:just waterfowl for me and gave up on organization years ago, I find stuff every year that I forgot I had.

:lol3: :lol3:

Sounds just like me, brother.

I do have a walk-in closet and chest of drawers in a guest room that are devoted only to hunting apparel. My equipment is on shelves in my shop along with the boats.
mudpack
hunter

Postby JFord56 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:50 pm

I have 3 bags left ready to go. A floating lg blind bag for ducks, my turkey vest, and a back pack for deer. Each has everything I need and it stays there. I grab my gun & ammo and my bag and go. The extra gear I use the totes as well. They mainly for ducks - got deks, cook stove & pan, blind for boat and camo material for land blind etc.... Fishing same way, I got a saltwater box, freshwater box, and one for trout.
JFord56
hunter

Postby Frylock » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:53 am

ImageImageImage
In 89' I built this wardrobe in high school wood shop class, keeps most of my stuff pretty organized and readily available. As for decoys and blinds I keep them on shelves in the basement. The pile method does work for lots of guys though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Frylock
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:16 am

I'd better shut this screen down before my wife gets any ideas about my crap!

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:10 am

I kept my calls and whistle on my rear view mirror during season, I'll have to find them all over again before next season. I'll have to go to the tote system soon. I have all my army junk mixed with my hunting junk because I use old uniforms for camo and my cold weather army gear for late season stuff lol.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby ChattanoogaDuckHunter » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:51 pm

Frylock wrote:ImageImageImage
In 89' I built this wardrobe in high school wood shop class, keeps most of my stuff pretty organized and readily available. As for decoys and blinds I keep them on shelves in the basement. The pile method does work for lots of guys though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You think you could tell me the measurements on that wardrobe (hight, length, depth). I would really like to build one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChattanoogaDuckHunter
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum