Do you use a gun safe or cabinet?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Safe or cabinet use?

Safe
55%
cabinet
45%

Total votes : 49

Do you use a gun safe or cabinet?

Postby huntmq1 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:31 am

Just wondering how many people have an actual firearms "safe", hidden or not and how many use a nice cabinet like me? I never really worried about the "safe" issue with my home alarm and three big dogs in the house. I just figured that IF you got in, you're gonna wish you picked another house. Reason for the question is I had a friend comment that he would be afraid to have "that many" guns out in the open.
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby the old man » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:45 am

I have a gun safe.I do not display any guns, don't tell anyone how many or what kind of guns I have. The only one who know hows many guns I have is my son, who has the combination to my safe. There are too many breakin in my area that target guns and hunting equitment. The less people that know that I have firearms in my house the better. Hunt safe and take a kid hunting. :thumbsup:
You don't have to be crazy to duck hunt, but it helps.
the old man
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:34 am

My dad and I have a nice corner cabinet (hopefully it will be in my own house soon, hes getting a new one) I love the way it looks sitting there in the corner of the living room.

Scott
cmelik10
hunter

Postby Dogman » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:56 am

I have a "safe"I built from a discarded electric vault.Its a big industrial type used in factories,it was headed to the dumpster when Iintercepted it and brought it home.Makes for a nice 13 gun cabinet and it didn't cost anything. :thumbsup:
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:54 am

I have a glass doored cabinet and a wall rack....and some guns are under the bed in dry cases. I do not leave the guns in plain sight from the windows and all are upstairs. I am not all that worried about gun theft specifically....although I carry a rider on my homeowners' policy for the guns and they are individually identified with corresponding values. I am also careful about who comes in the house ....but when you have duckboats etc. around the house/barn/garage, it doesn't take a genius to figure out there are guns around. A caveat.....I live in rural Maine where almost everyone has guns in their house.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby thaner » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:29 am

Big safe :thumbsup: Guns are like the number one thing stolen in house break-ins. I would love to have them out on display, but the only way you could do it without risking loosing them would be if they were insured. Most insurance companies will not cover enough to replace even one of my nicer guns without a rider policy. I figure that I could pay for the safe in a couple of years for the cost to cover over 10,000 in guns. My grandfather had a nice collection of guns with some very early originals and they all got stolen out of a gun cabinet after he died. Lost the whole collection from my grandmother’s house including some original Winchesters that were handed down for many generations. Not going to happen again. I have two guns left from grandfathers collection that were not in the house at the time and I have some from my father. I plan to restart the collection. A good gun safe is the best investment you could make for your guns and other valuables. Also keeps the kids out of the guns! A good safe will last many life times and well worth the investment.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:50 pm

My brother and I share a cabinet, it doesn't fit all the guns we have between my father and us two. We have another cabinet witha glass front at our hunting cabin, but thats only used when we need a temporary place to store them. My uncle lucked out though, he bought and old bank safe from an auction for 80 bucks. It doesn't have any shelves or gun spacers so he just piles 'em in there. There is just no money for me to think about buying a honet-to-goodness safe yet, what with school loans and all. Someday, I'll probably opt for the old safe at an acution or something and put spacers in it. I like th idea of fire protection though.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby gahunter » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:01 pm

Unfortunately my guns are stored in padded cases in the closet. I am really wanting to get a good gun safe, but they are just so expensive. Just getting started with a new wife and house is a pinch on the budget like I have never had before, but I'm shopping around a little. What kind of safes do y'all use. I would love some tips on what kind, style, and where a good store to get one at a reasonable price. Any tips would be great. :thumbsup:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:27 pm

I got a Sentinel brand as a x-mas gift from my brother. He got it at Wally World for under $200. Not a full blown safe by any means, but, my kid is getting older and I sure dont wont any mishaps. It also has a pistol safe add on that is really handy...think it was around $70. I attached it to the wall. If somebody wants your guns....theyll get em....I just wanted to slow em down a bit. I agree with the others...DONT ADVERTISE! Y'all have a nice day! :cool:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby Wags » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:16 am

A large (400lb+) gun safe. Just the cost of one gun alone would cover the cost if it was ever stolen for most people.
Wags
hunter

Postby royst » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:05 pm

If you cherish your guns, buy a safe. You can always open it and look at them
royst
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:36 pm

I have a gun safe & a lockable wall rack. :yes:
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:26 pm

with valuable guns a safe is a good idea. most the time its someone you know steals them.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby huntmq1 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:54 am

Come on people, this topic looked at 129 times but only 20 ? have voted. You don't have to post a reply, one would be nice, but at least vote. I've noticed that this is HUGE trend on the site, reading, but no input...it's easy jut click your mouse to vote. :yes:
Surley more than 20 of us store our guns in something. Come on, this is a GREAT site, get involved...speak your mind.
huntmq1
hunter

Postby RedDog » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:27 am

What about fire? I have a Browning safe. Sure theft is an issue, but I really like that my guns are protected from 1200 degree heat for up to 30 minutes. And humidity is easily controlled. Only about the cost of a decent double gun... Well worth it. Most insurance companies will also give you a break on coverage.
RedDog
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:21 pm

Redog.........that's something that hasn't been thought of or brought up so far, thanks.
huntmq1
hunter

Postby thaner » Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:17 pm

A fire safe is defiantly a good way to go. I don’t have one, but my next one will be bigger and a fire safe. I keep my safe in the basement and the basement is temp controlled and I have a dehumidifier in it. I figure the fire thing is only an issue if the whole place goes down to the ground. My and most insurance companies will cover fire loss, it’s the theft thing that you have problems with.

I have a 30 gun browning. I think even one of those good heavy duty metal ones bolted to the floor or wall is better than nothing and those are not very expensive. If you have kids it’s a nice idea. .

I definitely agree with those that have an issue with the cost, but if you have a few nice guns pick up a decent safe before you buy one nicer one. As time goes on hopefully you all will have the opportunity to get more and nicer guns and it is best to get it as soon as possible. I got mine when I got out of collage and now I have had it for 18 years. Even a nice small one to keep the better stuff in and some trigger locks for your old rusty moss 500 is not a bad idea.

You can also store all your other valuable in there especially when you’re gone away for a few days. You know those little bobbles you get your wife so you can buy another gun!
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:38 pm

The trigger locks and cable locks are a great idea, I have one on every one of my guns. Most Police Depts. have gun cables and locks for FREE to give out. The Fed's provide them to the dept's. It's part of operation Kid Safe, I think that's what they are calling it.
huntmq1
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:14 pm

I guess that a cabnet is the closest thing to under my covers! :yes:

Cool Beans,
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby duck hunter cam » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:51 pm

cabinet.
It's only sky busting if u miss.
duck hunter cam
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:15 pm

there are so many advantages to using a safe it's not even funny.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby brdprey » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:55 am

shpshtr is right, i use a safe due to my neighbor whom was a big hunting fanatic decided to quit hunting but he no more did the decision when some kids decided to do it for him. they destroyed his cabinet and cleaned him out of every one of his rifles. he wasnt home that night so he couldnt introduce them to the pistole group he had.
they could not find one rifel.. possible all sold under the table to friends of theres.
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:29 am

My guns are in a gun cabinet with gun cables on them. If they take the guns they still will not be able to use them.
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:25 pm

CALLEMQUACKTN wrote:My guns are in a gun cabinet with gun cables on them. If they take the guns they still will not be able to use them.

Thats not very hard to cut open.

I just take the bolts out of my rifles, that way they REALLY cant use 'em! :thumbsup:

If your worried about them getting stolen; a safe is the only way to go. If you are like me and just want them put up, and somewhat more difficulter for kids to get into, then go w/the cabnet.

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Locks are not enough

Postby maduckguy » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:47 pm

Cabinet's with trigger/cable locks are completely useless. I've popped good trigger locks in less than 30 seconds (lost key)and a pair of bolt cutters will take care of a cable lock instantly. In Mass. the lawyers will be all over you if your stolen guns were used in a crime, and I'd rather not risk it. Safes look better to lawyers, and I just feel better having one.
maduckguy
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum