finisher layout blind modifications

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

finisher layout blind modifications

Postby losthunter1 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:06 am

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this before but here it goes. 2012 season I used an SUB and loved it, minus the cramped quarters, then I started reading about the finisher so I picked it up for the 2013 season.
I love the extra room and the and the ease of set up, the downside that I have found with this blind is the rigidity of the mesh borders, along with the fiberglass bar that holds the mesh over the face. I found it was very hard to see out of the mesh, especially when duck hunting. I always wear a face mask so I ended up just holding the mesh open just to be able to see. Has anyone replaced the fiberglass bars with a bendable metal and if so what? How have you modified it to be able to see?
Now if you pick up the snow cover (which I did) and put it on, now you cannot see anything. So my short term fix was to work the short horizontal bars out of the mesh cover, which was really easy to do considering one had already poked through the material and it was either remove it or lose it. With the bar removed I was able to push the mesh to the furthest points and just use the snow cover to mold around my head.
So here's the question, what have you done to make your finisher huntable?
losthunter1
hunter

Re: finisher layout blind modifications

Postby losthunter1 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:18 pm

Update: I took out all 4 fiberglass rods and replaced them with 10 gauge coated copper, not sure what to do about the snowcover just yet but I'm still thinkin' bout it.
losthunter1
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:13 pm

got some pics?
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby losthunter1 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:45 pm

no, but I should be able to get some up in a couple days.
losthunter1
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:01 am

the finisher has more room than an sub? Thats news to me let us know how long it takes to break the doors at the knuckle. I have seen this quite a few times on the finishers.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby losthunter1 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:32 pm

It was pretty easy to do, I took the seam apart at the bottom of the mesh. If you look at your finisher you will see where the fiberglass bar stops. Before I cut the thread on the seam I super glued it at the top of the cut and bottom so it won't unravel. I also got some silicon tips from the hardware store and super glued them on the wire just so the wire won't work it's way through the material. Then all I had to do was sew up the seam with the wire inside.
With the short bar I just bent the wire and forced it into place.
losthunter1
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:13 pm

So is it basically like how the Cabelas Ultimate's are with the wire through the mesh?
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:36 pm

I personally think the mesh is annoying. We leave our heads out with the mesh up to our necks. My one buddy was always inside the blind with his head and always yelling "where are the birds". If he had his head up, he'd know. :yes:

If you do look through the mesh, spray paint the inside black and you can see through it better.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Honk-n-quack » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:09 pm

wow great tip CNC, I'll give it a shot !
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:15 am

Light reflects off the beige ruining your vision and black absorbs light allowing you to see though it better. Paint one and not the other and lay in the yard and try it and you'll see the difference.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Honk-n-quack » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:56 pm

Painted the mesh black. Worked very well on the fine tanglefree mesh, worked decently for the larger mesh on my Cabelas UItimate.
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum