duck hunting supplies

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

duck hunting supplies

Postby duck_slayer99 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:03 pm

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:
i have been duck hunting for a 4 years now and every time i go i feel like i don't have something or i anit prepeard what are some gear and or supplies that i need every time i go?
duck_slayer99
Newb

Re: duck hunting supplies

Postby Mugzwump » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:58 pm

Guns 'n' ammo.

Not sure what you normally take with you... if it doesn't kill ducks or keep you warm, dry and fed you don't really need it. If you don't already know you need it you don't need it... lol.

I "always" bring the following, besides guns and ammo.

but I often hunt way out in the sticks... so if you're just down the road from your house or something you might adjust all this crap to what you really need.

a knife
matches or lighter
flashlight
a glowstick.( if you ever have to leave something, or SOMEONE in the dark, a glowstick will help you find it/them later)
binoculars
water, food, plus a small bit of emergency food ( case the boat breaks down or something and I ain't home for dins, usually just a tin of something that sits in the bottom of my bag all season.. yum)
cell phone or sat phone if i'm going far out,
a tarp ( makes emergency shelter / wind break )
extra paddle
life jackets
gps
axe
extra set of clothes in a dry sac.

Again this is a bunch of junk for in case of SHTF when I'm far out there, all of this stuff is general wilderness gear and not duck hunting stuff, so maybe this isn't what you meant.

When I hunt the marsh down by the lake 10 mins from home I just take my gun and a few shells... binoculars and a beer. All depends on where you're going, it pays to be prepared and sucks to be overloaded with crap you don't need. Bottom line is you don't really need anything duck hunters didn't have 100 years ago.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:35 am

duck_slayer99 wrote: what are some gear and or supplies that i need every time i go?

I don't know, what do you need? :huh:
Let's see, you need a functioning gun, you need shells to fit the gun, and you need a valid license/stamps. Everything else pretty much falls into the "optional" category, depending on where, when, and how you hunt.
Only YOU know what YOU want/need to make your hunt more productive and more enjoyable. In that respect, Mugs pretty much nailed it.

I could say if you don't know what your basic needs are after four seasons of waterfowl hunting, we sure can't help you....but that might be a little harsh and so I won't. After all, four seasons of waterfowl hunting for you might be a total of 5 hunts....... I don't know. :biggrin:

I will say this: I've been duck hunting since 1962 and it seems like every year there's something new that I "need"..... :lol3:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:01 am

Cigarettes and toilet paper!
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby rsamuelson90 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:32 pm

As Duck_Stank put it, the one go to item in a blind bag would be the Toliet Paper!!!!!!!!! Never know when duty calls haha.

I like to carry extra food/water in my bag for the just in case days.

As well as I have made a first aide kit for my boat cause you never know what will happen while your out there. Tools, zip ties, extra drain plug and spark plugs, extra rope for the recoil on the motor (learned this hard way one day when battery died and went to start engine with recoil rope and it snapped!)

Guess it comes down to you dont know what you need til you actually need it.
rsamuelson90
Newb

Postby aunt betty » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:56 pm

Use a bag and a small pack. Put all the gotta haves like shells, calls, gloves...stuff you use every time you hunt, into the bag.
Then all the "might needs" like toilet paper, food, etc in the pack.
That way you ain't spending as much hunt time searching thru your giant man purse. :)
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum