Money to burn, what to get??

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Postby Mugzwump » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:29 pm

So I'm getting a nice chunk of cash to spend on hunting crap... I'm hemming and hawing about what to blow it on. Just looking for ideas, or some insight. I've got about $1000.00

So what I've really been looking at is a new gun. Before I get all kinds of flak for what I'm about to say, I'll first mention right now I shoot a gun chambered in 3" 12 ga, which has done plenty good.. but I'm looking to upgrade it to something a bit bigger... so I'm opting for a 10 gauge for goose season, instead of the 3.5" 12 ga. Just don't want this thread to turn into a discussion about twelves and tens and all that bull.

And seeing as I have a gun already... Maybe it would be better to buy more decoys? Or something I don't have already...?

What would you spend an extra 1000$ on?

I hunt snowgeese, canada's and ducks... plus everything else.

thanks

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Re: Money to burn, what to get??

Postby Honk-n-quack » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:04 pm

SP-10
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:21 pm

Honk-n-quack wrote:SP-10

:yes: That's the one I'm looking at!

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby Swanny » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:41 pm

I'd get something you don't have unless you feel pretty much set on gear.
Swanny
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:45 pm

If it was me, new horns! But that's just me.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:46 pm

2 chicks at the same time.
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby On the X » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:20 pm

Mugz, I'm sure during this past season one or just a few things stayed in your head that "man that would really help me kill more birds......I'm gonna have that next year" or "next year I'm gonna try that".....I'm sure you had those thoughts or made those statements "cause we all do. So whatever they were, get them and put 'em to work next season.
On the X
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:54 pm

Id you have plenty of decoys, go with the SP10
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:00 am

Layout boat?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:30 am

If all you have is $1000, I'd stock up on ammo.......
mudpack
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:39 am

mudpack wrote:If all you have is $1000, I'd stock up on ammo.......

Why stock up on birdshot? Just curious...

Mugz
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:41 am

Nelliboy2 wrote:Layout boat?

That's a good one. not sure if I could find one around here for that price though, and I already have a canoe I decked out as my layout... just doesn't sit flat on the water like a layout would.

Mugzwump
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:38 am

Mugzwump wrote:
Nelliboy2 wrote:Layout boat?

That's a good one. not sure if I could find one around here for that price though, and I already have a canoe I decked out as my layout... just doesn't sit flat on the water like a layout would.

Idk what you call a layout but I'm referring to open water layouts (not marsh boats such as four rivers)

Used ones you can find for 600-1200 new ones depending on which you pick are 1200-1800. Make sure if you buy one you only buy one that's all glass. Save you a lot of work in the future. Also really pay attention to the profile, it's the second most important feature besides your safety.

I'm not sure what area you will be hunting but a momarsh or 4 rivers would better suit your needs. I tend to always look for tools that make my life easier. Decoys are next besides buying shotguns.

If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:42 am

Drake Equator, maybe start stocking up on calls. Try some different brands of calls. That's what I'm thinking of doing.

Sent from my Tim Grounds Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:12 pm

...because ammo is something I'll always use, and I never have too much of.
and $1000 isn't enough for me to buy a good gun.

(the OP wanted to know what I/you would spend $1000 on....)
mudpack
hunter

Postby nitram » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:24 pm

mudpack wrote:...because ammo is something I'll always use, and I never have too much of.

Amen to that, Mud. :thumbsup:
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:20 pm

mudpack wrote:...because ammo is something I'll always use, and I never have too much of.
and $1000 isn't enough for me to buy a good gun.

(the OP wanted to know what I/you would spend $1000 on....)

Yep.. ammo is a real consumable.. that's true. I already have cash set aside for my ammo, that's taken care of. I Couldn't possibly need more.

I think its a tossup now between the gun, decoys and my pops mentioned rebuilding the motor on the boat (reverse gear tanked last summer) Wise man... it's just not as exiting as buying new stuff....and no one needs reverse anyways.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby wjarrell » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:06 am

Mugzwump wrote:So I'm getting a nice chunk of cash to spend on hunting crap... I'm hemming and hawing about what to blow it on. Just looking for ideas, or some insight. I've got about $1000.00

So what I've really been looking at is a new gun. Before I get all kinds of flak for what I'm about to say, I'll first mention right now I shoot a gun chambered in 3" 12 ga, which has done plenty good.. but I'm looking to upgrade it to something a bit bigger... so I'm opting for a 10 gauge for goose season, instead of the 3.5" 12 ga. Just don't want this thread to turn into a discussion about twelves and tens and all that bull.

And seeing as I have a gun already... Maybe it would be better to buy more decoys? Or something I don't have already...?

thanks

Mugz.

I had an extra $1,000 like yourself a couple weeks ago and I just bought a brand new BPS 10 gauge for $600. I haven't shot it yet but it sure feels nice, a lot nicer then I thought it was going to. To me it was pretty balanced for being a 10 pound gun, and swings nice. Good luck with your shopping whatever you get! It's a nice feeling to go shopping of hunting stuff!! :thumbsup:
wjarrell
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:45 am

wjarrell wrote:
Mugzwump wrote:So I'm getting a nice chunk of cash to spend on hunting crap... I'm hemming and hawing about what to blow it on. Just looking for ideas, or some insight. I've got about $1000.00

thanks

Mugz.

I had an extra $1,000 like yourself a couple weeks ago and I just bought a brand new BPS 10 gauge for $600. I haven't shot it yet but it sure feels nice, a lot nicer then I thought it was going to. To me it was pretty balanced for being a 10 pound gun, and swings nice. Good luck with your shopping whatever you get! It's a nice feeling to go shopping of hunting stuff!! :thumbsup:

Sweet deal... up here a brand new BPS would run more like $800-$900. Gotta pay the man... and here in Quebec, that damn woman too! If it weren't for the taxes I might have gone for the BPS new. So I'm looking at the SP-10 used for about the same price. I haven't used a pump too much so that is swaying my decision too.

I have considered it though, I like how they eject down into the boat rather than 15 feet off the side like my 1187. ( or into the face of my hunting buddy)

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby uglymug » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:28 pm

Mugzwump wrote:
wjarrell wrote:

thanks

Mugz.

Sweet deal... up here a brand new BPS would run more like $800-$900. Gotta pay the man... and here in Quebec, that damn woman too! If it weren't for the taxes I might have gone for the BPS new. So I'm looking at the SP-10 used for about the same price. I haven't used a pump too much so that is swaying my decision too.

I have considered it though, I like how they eject down into the boat rather than 15 feet off the side like my 1187. ( or into the face of my hunting buddy)

Mugz.

Get a 105 CTi :grooving:
uglymug
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:44 pm

uglymug wrote:
Mugzwump wrote:
wjarrell wrote:

thanks

Mugz.

Mugz.

That's only In 12 gauge right?

Mugz
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby uglymug » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:48 pm

Mugzwump wrote:
uglymug wrote:
Mugzwump wrote:
wjarrell wrote:

thanks

Mugz.

Mugz.

Mugz

Not sure. I wouldn't buy one if it shot magical rainbows. Remington couldn't make them reliable at all even though it is a cool concept.
uglymug
hunter

Postby wjarrell » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:08 pm

uglymug wrote:
Mugzwump wrote:
uglymug wrote:
Mugzwump wrote:
wjarrell wrote:

thanks

Mugz.

Mugz.

Mugz

Not sure. I wouldn't buy one if it shot magical rainbows. Remington couldn't make them reliable at all even though it is a cool concept.

I've never shot one but I've herd nothing but bad things about that gun.
wjarrell
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:29 pm

wjarrell wrote:
uglymug wrote:
Mugzwump wrote:
uglymug wrote:
Mugzwump wrote:
wjarrell wrote:

thanks

Mugz.

Mugz.

Mugz

I've never shot one but I've herd nothing but bad things about that gun.

Honestly I've never heard of it till now. Love that bottom eject though. Great concept. I'm surprised Remington would have made a gun that had issues. I've never heard much negative talk about Rem shotguns.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby wjarrell » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:49 pm

Mugzwump wrote:Honestly I've never heard of it till now. Love that bottom eject though. Great concept. I'm surprised Remington would have made a gun that had issues. I've never heard much negative talk about Rem shotguns.

Mugz.

Have you herd of the Versa Max!? Sorry that was too easy.
wjarrell
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum