Money to burn, what to get??

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Re: Money to burn, what to get??

Postby uglymug » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:08 pm

wjarrell wrote:
Mugzwump wrote:Honestly I've never heard of it till now. Love that bottom eject though. Great concept. I'm surprised Remington would have made a gun that had issues. I've never heard much negative talk about Rem shotguns.

Mugz.

Have you herd of the Versa Max!? Sorry that was too easy.

Idk where you've been, but besides the initial rollout and recall the Versamaxes have proven to be very reliable shotguns. I'd consider it on par with any of the 'B' guns.
uglymug
hunter

Postby wjarrell » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:19 pm

uglymug wrote:
wjarrell wrote:
Mugzwump wrote:Honestly I've never heard of it till now. Love that bottom eject though. Great concept. I'm surprised Remington would have made a gun that had issues. I've never heard much negative talk about Rem shotguns.

Mugz.

Have you herd of the Versa Max!? Sorry that was too easy.

Idk where you've been, but besides the initial rollout and recall the Versamaxes have proven to be very reliable shotguns. I'd consider it on par with any of the 'B' guns.

The Versamax is way to new to have "proven" to be reliable. Give it at least another 5 years, then maybe you can call it reliable. The Versamax hasn't been around long enough to be even mentioned with the B guns.
wjarrell
hunter

Postby Jkling12 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:33 pm

I know my versa max proved to be better than the B guns in my blind this year. Yet to have an issue with 1,000+ rounds down the pipe and cleaned it once after the season. Not one jam in all my shooting since I bought it new. I have shot the lightest cheap loads and up to 3.5" hevi13 for turkeys. People can talk crap about them but they have probably not used one. Another guy I hunt with shot mine and ditched his B gun to go get one and loves it. If it were me id forget the 10ga and get a versa max.
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"
Proudly made in the USA
LeakyW8ers wrote:It would be like sleeping with my best friends wife, it may feel good at the time, but is going to get awkward really quick.
Jkling12
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:57 pm

Jkling12 wrote:I know my versa max proved to be better than the B guns in my blind this year. Yet to have an issue with 1,000+ rounds down the pipe and cleaned it once after the season. Not one jam in all my shooting since I bought it new. I have shot the lightest cheap loads and up to 3.5" hevi13 for turkeys. People can talk crap about them but they have probably not used one. Another guy I hunt with shot mine and ditched his B gun to go get one and loves it. If it were me id forget the 10ga and get a versa max.

I've already got a 12 gauge. A nice Remington 1187 premier made the same month and year I was born. Both of us aging pretty well... lol. Never have any problems.

Not into buying another 12, I have zero reason to.

At the risk of looking dumb... (But I'm not into guns past them being useful) Whats a "B gun"?

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby Jkling12 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:02 pm

Benelli beretta browning
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"
Proudly made in the USA
LeakyW8ers wrote:It would be like sleeping with my best friends wife, it may feel good at the time, but is going to get awkward really quick.
Jkling12
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:07 pm

Jkling12 wrote:Benelli beretta browning

ah.. lol.. thx.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby Dan the goose slayer » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:38 pm

Mugzwump wrote:So I'm getting a nice chunk of cash to spend on hunting crap... I'm hemming and hawing about what to blow it on. Just looking for ideas, or some insight. I've got about $1000.00

So what I've really been looking at is a new gun. Before I get all kinds of flak for what I'm about to say, I'll first mention right now I shoot a gun chambered in 3" 12 ga, which has done plenty good.. but I'm looking to upgrade it to something a bit bigger... so I'm opting for a 10 gauge for goose season, instead of the 3.5" 12 ga. Just don't want this thread to turn into a discussion about twelves and tens and all that bull.

And seeing as I have a gun already... Maybe it would be better to buy more decoys? Or something I don't have already...?

What would you spend an extra 1000$ on?

I hunt snowgeese, canada's and ducks... plus everything else.

thanks

Mugz.

Get a browning gold light 10 gauge with a 26 inch barrel. That's what I have, but I do know that my 10 gauge collection will grow and eventually I will have a sp-10 and for right now I'm very happy with my gold. Thanks
Dan
Dan the goose slayer
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:40 pm

Dan the goose slayer wrote:
Mugzwump wrote:So I'm getting a nice chunk of cash to spend on hunting crap... I'm hemming and hawing about what to blow it on. Just looking for ideas, or some insight. I've got about $1000.00

So what I've really been looking at is a new gun. Before I get all kinds of flak for what I'm about to say, I'll first mention right now I shoot a gun chambered in 3" 12 ga, which has done plenty good.. but I'm looking to upgrade it to something a bit bigger... so I'm opting for a 10 gauge for goose season, instead of the 3.5" 12 ga. Just don't want this thread to turn into a discussion about twelves and tens and all that bull.

And seeing as I have a gun already... Maybe it would be better to buy more decoys? Or something I don't have already...?

thanks

Mugz.

Get a browning gold light 10 gauge with a 26 inch barrel. That's what I have, but I do know that my 10 gauge collection will grow and eventually I will have a sp-10 and for right now I'm very happy with my gold. Thanks
Dan

Yea I was looking at those too... a bit more expensive though. I would go for it if I found one at the right price.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby Dan the goose slayer » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:39 pm

Mugzwump wrote:

thanks
http://www.armslist.com/posts/2679309/w ... d-reloader

Mugz.

Dan

Yea I was looking at those too... a bit more expensive though. I would go for it if I found one at the right price.

Mugz.

I just happened to be snooping around arms list and found this killer deal for you my good sir.
Dan the goose slayer
hunter

Postby Dan the goose slayer » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:48 pm

http://www.armslist.com/posts/2679309/w ... d-reloader sorry these darn wizard boxes are so confusing sometimes
Thanks
Dan
Dan the goose slayer
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:27 pm

Mugzwump wrote:

thanks

Mugz.

Dan

Mugz.

I just happened to be snooping around arms list and found this killer deal for you my good sir.

That is a great deal! I appreciate it, but unfortunately... I am Canadian, lol. One of the only times I'll ever say that. The US gov does not like to sell their guns to non-residents... it's an expensive process for me to import a gun, and I'll probably be forced by my twisted provincial government to pay tax on it on top of everything, not sure about that since it's used... but I'm sure they'll nail me. So... too bad.

Mugz
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:23 am

Mugzwump wrote:
Mugzwump wrote:

thanks

Mugz.

Dan

Mugz.

That is a great deal! I appreciate it, but unfortunately... I am Canadian, lol. One of the only times I'll ever say that. The US gov does not like to sell their guns to non-residents... it's an expensive process for me to import a gun, and I'll probably be forced by my twisted provincial government to pay tax on it on top of everything, not sure about that since it's used... but I'm sure they'll nail me. So... too bad.

Mugz

Buy $1000 worth of beer eh.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Mugzwump » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:55 pm

aunt betty wrote:
Mugzwump wrote:
Mugzwump wrote:

thanks

Mugz.

Dan

Mugz.

Mugz

Buy $1000 worth of beer eh.

Now that's an idea! lol...

I've decided to forget the gun and go with increasing the number of snow goose decoys and putting heads on the socks and rags that don't have 'em yet. Also vamping out the e-caller, building a portable top for a half-pit blind, and using the remainder for gas to burn on a wild-goose chase of a door knocking spree! Hope I don't get shot.

Thanks for the posts!

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby NYmarshes » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:47 pm

Go over your decoy situation, get some more decoys to
Enhance your spread. Motion decoys, etc. grab a few
Lucky duck rapid flyers, or super lucky ducks. Either way 1000.00
Is a good problem to have! Good luck!
NYmarshes
Newb

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:08 pm

Save it for the season, and take a trip somewhere you'd like to hunt.

Your gear got you through last year, and will likely get you through the next, but money for a trip doesn't always come around...
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:11 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:Save it for the season, and take a trip somewhere you'd like to hunt.

Your gear got you through last year, and will likely get you through the next, but money for a trip doesn't always come around...

I've thought of that too.. but between my annual spring hunt trips, my summer fishing trips, fall bird trips, fall goose trips, my deer season, my moose season... I don't think I have time for another trip! Maybe I could squeeze a solo fly-fishing salmon trip in there that would be a real getaway for me... it is on the bucket list.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:22 pm

Usually, the best thing for someone to do with a windfall is pay off debt.
mudpack
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Gear Forum