Do you carry an emergency first aid/survival kit?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Do you carry a first aid kit or survival kit?

Yes- First aid kit
35%
Yes- Survival kit
8%
Yes- Both
23%
No- Nothing can touch me
35%

Total votes : 40

Do you carry an emergency first aid/survival kit?

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:48 pm

Whenever I go hunting, I make it a point to carry some kind of first aid kit, as well as items that might aid in my survival if I were to become injured or lost. The same could be said for thsoe I hunt with, if something were to happen to them in the field. Basic items would include bandages, scissors, tweezers, sterile gauze, aspirin/tylenol, resuscitation mask, latex/rubber gloves, lighter and/or matches, tinder, space blanket, compass, extra food and water...the list goes on. I try to shrink it a pouch about 12"x4"

If you carry one or both of these, what is included. For those of you with dogs, what do you carry for them?

Do you carry both or none at all? Tell us about it.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby had » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:21 pm

i carry a first aid kit and plenty of water, comes in handy here in az.
This site is about having some fun, learning, helping others, and enjoying the commaradre' of other waterfowl hunters. And if you do not like those 4 things, then do not let the door hit you on the way out of here.
had
hunter

Postby gahunter » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:38 pm

I've got a pretty big knife in case some body needs an emergency amputation. I keep a supply of man-made ammonia nearby if any one happens to get stung by jellyfish. One of the more important things I carry is white underwear in case I get lost in an Arkansas swamp chasing down ducks and get seperated from my party. I hear that they are great for waving down DNR helicopters after a nice nature walk followed by a scrumptious meal of raw duck and swamp water. :toofunny: The truth is no, but I know that I should carry some 1st aid of some sort, because you never know what might happen. :eek:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:05 pm

Depends on the hunt. Bird hunting, I carry a first aid kit for myself and for the dogs. Big game, I carry first aid and enough supplies to get me thru a couple days in the mountains.
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:04 am

gahunter I was thinking the same thing when I was reading the poll. The guy in Arkansas needed all the help he could get his hands on. I mean seriously he was out there all by him self for a whole night. :toofunny:
gsphunter
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:26 am

i do if i am going on a multiday trip. my wife put together a kit for a nursing school project a while back and we have really used it more than i thought we would. she keeps it stocked up for me. it has things like solar blankets, glow sticks, whistle, strike on anything matchs, little lint firestarters (neat trick for starting a fire), sterile pads, ace bandages, medical tape, rubber gloves, water purifing tablets, hand sanitizer, etc. the most important things she keeps in there are for the not-so-emergent emergencies. like tylenol, motrin, immodium, ranitidine (heart burn med), etc. that's the stuff we get the most use out of. on a normal day though, i usually have some rags and rope in the truck and i always have a knife, cell phone, and the GPS with me. my wife insisted that i have a cell phone with a gps locator in it for when i am hunting alone. it would be pretty tough to get that lost or injured here in the south and not be able to get safely back to the truck at least to call for help.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:05 am

I carry a surv/first aid kit EVERY time I go out. Deer, ducks etc.... I keep it in a small camo. pouch that I made when I was in the Marines. It has clips so I can attach it to anything or just put it in my backpack. Knife, tweezers, a small set of forceps clamp, pressure bandages, gauze, tape, survival blanket(can also be used as shelter), Aviation pilot's fire starter kit, a magnezium fire starter for wet windy conditions, one handed tourniquet(so that I can use it on my own arm if I had to), water purification tabs, tylenol, iodine for cuts, razor blade, 25 ft. of parachute chord rolled up, a bottle of water, a small bar of soap and a sealed bag that has one pair of DRY underwear, pair of DRY socks, pair of DRY lined jersey gloves and a thin stocking cap. I compress the bag of dry articles and squeeze all the air out. I've only listed some of the items that I carry....there's alot more items in my bag. Believe it or not, but all this stuff fits in small camo pouch. I'm not getting out somewhere, get hurt, then have to spend the night out in the cold only to be some coyotes dinner. I also tell my wife where I'll be and when to expect me....very important guys. My wife has small maps of my stand locations and/or blind locations. I also carry my cell phone. A neat item to also pack with you is the lint from the clothes dryer. Great for fire making. Get some and put a match to it, you'll see!
Not trying to bore anyone, just trying to tell you to be prepaired if you had to spend the night out somewhere while injured.
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:19 am

I voted YES to the first-aid kit only, although I do carry in my blind bag some basic survival gear including space blanket, extra knife, fire materials/starter, lighter, extra light and a couple granola bars. I have first aid kits in each of my boats' dry boxes....in addition to flares (hand and arial), flag, mirror....and of course some basic tools (screw drivers, sockets, hammer, wrenches, knife, oil, light, batteries, gloves, rope etc. Lastly, I always have a set of sweats and socks in the car as well as a wool blanket just in case someone takes a dunking.
I got stranded by the tide once....no big deal and was on an island so before it got dark I was able to gather wood for a fire.....finally had enough water at 8 to float the boat....worst part was I ran out of marlboros and only had an apple for supper!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:05 am

Voted NO. But I know we really should. :hammering:
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby macdaddy » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:22 am

First aid kit only. In said kit, which is in a W.W. II British ammo pouch, is 1 can of bag balm, a bottle of iodine for cuts, a bottle of aspirin, cotton balls, some Q tips, & a plastic bag of Band -Aids. I'm never more than 75-100 mi from home when I hunt, so I don't go the survival route.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:05 pm

I attended a benifit dinner last Saturday for a mother of two (1 month old baby and a two year old) who's father/husband was killed in December '04 while deer hunting only a half hour from where we live. He died on the same public land that I duck hunt. He was(they think) pulling his muzzle loader up to the stand when the rope broke and it fell 15 feet to the ground.....BOOM! The bullet struck him between the legs and went into his stomach. He then fell from the tree breaking more bones. He had his cell phone with him and called 911, then his wife. I won't go into details about what he said to his, then, pregnant wife. He knew he was dieing. His wife called the 911 operator and they tried to figure out where he was. Game agents, local police officers, sheriff's deputy's and citizens went looking for him. They knew what piece of property he was on, just not where the stand was. He was finally found about 45 minutes later, still alive. He died enroute to the hospital by way of helicopter. Point is, it doesn't really matter how far or close you are to home, but you should be prepaired to try and help yourself and let SOMEONE know exactly where you will be. I know your friends and family would not want to go to the same function that I did in your honor if they didn't have to.
huntmq1
hunter

Postby gahunter » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:55 pm

That's a terrible thing that happened and I am not trying to take away from that. But he wasn't using very good gun safety or a safety strap in an elevated deer stand. Those are two things that are inexcusable as far as I am concerned. Gun safety should always be first and foremost when doing anthing involving firearms. I also always make sure that someone knows where I am hunting, usually my daddy or brother because they know exactly where all of my hunting spots are.
gahunter
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:10 pm

I agree on the strap issue. No one knows for sure, except God, what happened that day. I even question the "pulling the gun up issue". I think it's quite possible it was already up in the stand and he may have just plain dropped it. The safety strap? Who knows why it wasn't on. He may have just not got it on yet. I'm guilty, on occasion, of pulling my bow or gun up before getting my harness snapped in.
huntmq1
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:20 pm

Just like they say in the Boy Scouts " Be Prepared."

Keep shooting, your bound to hit something.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby gahunter » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:20 pm

:withstupid:
gahunter
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:32 am

I keep a complete travel first aid kit in my blind bag. I have never had to use it, but if the day comes when it is needed for either myself or whomever I am hunting with, at least I have it with me.
Mike M.
hunter

Postby gahunter » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:34 pm

Does a cooler full of beer at the truck count as survival or first aid gear? I know that it falls in there somewhere. :laughing: :salude: :laughing:
gahunter
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:07 pm

It depends what you're using it for gahunter :mrgreen:
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Brent Futter » Thu May 26, 2005 2:06 am

:oops: I thoroughly recommend to all that some form of first aid kit and survival blanket is essential. I got caught with a failing daylight and malfunctioning torch about 18 months ago while deer stalking and had to spend a very cold night under some pig fern for shelter. I had a visit from a pig around 1am as I was sleeping in his pantry! he certainly got fairly emotive and as I couldn't see him so was I, I slipped a round up the old 308 and let one go in his general direction, by the time the noise had dissipated from the surrounding hills it was all silent again. It was like that at home for the next month too after I walked out the next morning, the mother in law was staying over too for a couple of days, so my share value was extremely low!
Warm Barrels and Tight Lines give you the greatest satisfaction
Brent Futter
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Thu May 26, 2005 8:37 am

gahunter wrote:Does a cooler full of beer at the truck count as survival or first aid gear? I know that it falls in there somewhere. :laughing: :salude: :laughing:

Now that is funny! :toofunny: :toofunny:
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Thu May 26, 2005 6:38 pm

SCoutdoorsman wrote:Voted NO. But I know we really should. :hammering:

Im w/SC

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby 5150Fred » Fri May 27, 2005 2:22 pm

I voted yes on the first aid kit. This kit includes aspirin, toothpicks, dental floss, bandaids, first aid cream, gum, ankle,wrist wrap, and toilet paper. I know some items seem strange, but they all have come in handy. This all fits into a small water tight baggie. :salude:
There's nothing like seeing'em cupped and committed
5150Fred
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Fri May 27, 2005 10:44 pm

All I tote is a spare thermos with black coffee, a spare pack of cig's, a roll of toilet paper, a lighter & a small knife... & then there's that "Ground Cav Trainin' "... nuff said. :yes:
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby donell67 » Sun May 29, 2005 5:02 pm

i have never carried one but it is a good idea.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

First Aid Kit

Postby hm_palmer » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:24 pm

This is pretty sad but i'm a field medic with the marines and I voted no and I cary no kind of first aid kit with me, pretty sad I know. I carry one in my truck when I go elk hunting.
hm_palmer
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum