Sitka gear waterproof items Opinions

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Sitka gear waterproof items Opinions

Postby UmatillaJeff » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:56 pm

So when you ask a guy how he likes his new Ferrari he always has a predicable response as nobody likes to admit a 100,000 dollar buying mistake.

So with that in mind... How does the rainproof ability of Sitka gear compare with what you guys used before Sitka gear and what models have you owned and what are your opinions of this gear.

We all know it is top end stuff but does it respond in a top end way and what about customer service?
Duck hunters chat.. a place where people who never shoot past 40 yards explain how to do it better to the guys who do it all the time.
UmatillaJeff
hunter

Re: Sitka gear waterproof items Opinions

Postby UmatillaJeff » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:44 pm

I guess nobody owns Sitka gear.........
Duck hunters chat.. a place where people who never shoot past 40 yards explain how to do it better to the guys who do it all the time.
UmatillaJeff
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:49 pm

UmatillaJeff wrote:So when you ask a guy how he likes his new Sitka coat he always has a predicable response as nobody likes to admit a high dollar buying mistake.

So with that in mind... How does the rainproof ability of Sitka gear compare with what you guys used before Sitka gear and what models have you owned and what are your opinions of this gear.

You answered why nobody is responding in your op if you change a word or two.
I fixed it for you.

What color is your Ferrari? ;)
Last edited by aunt betty on Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Full Force Five » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:49 pm

I just got the delta wading jacket. It's like drake stuff on crack that is made of Gore-Tex. Gore-Tex is know for being waterproof. I have not hunted with it yet.
I knew this would happen.
Full Force Five
hunter

Postby 11-87 Va » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:58 pm

Its a good possibility that I will never know anything about Stika gear. Even the cheapest garment they offer is way over priced. I can't see paying the price they want for this stuff when there is stuff out that does just as good.
I am second

Minus One

Go Keydets!
11-87 Va
hunter

Postby nitram » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:19 pm

Before I ended up with a bunch of Sitka gear in early last Fall, my main hunting clothes had been Columbia/GoreTex Horicon Parka, Bibs, and a Omni Widgeon Jacket. I was fortunate to win a contest where I selected a Sitka Duck Oven, Wader Jacket, Merino Gloves, Gaitor, and a Beanie. I immediately learned I had to dress differently under the Sitka. I'd always worn a t-shirt under a chamois shirt and maybe even a hoodie with the Columbia. With the Sitka, I was way over-dressed. A Heat Gear LS Henley was enough under the Duck Oven, either moving or sedentary, for Alberta and the Montana opener. While in Ohio, right after Thanksgiving, I bought a Boreal Parka and a set of Pantanal Bibs. Considering the excellent service I'd received from the Duck Oven and Wader Jacket I figured the parka and bibs would do as well if not better. And I wasn't wrong. In mid-January I was hunting on the Tennessee River and it rained, sleeted, and snowed one day before turning nasty the next. The temps were from -5 to 7*F. that day with a stiff North wind and I wore a HG Henley, a Wooley Pully, and the Duck Oven/Wader Jacket and Waders. And seriously, I was very comfortable. In all, I hunted over 80 days last season and as most in the midwest and mid-south can attest, we had a pretty crappy winter, at least weather-wise. Everything I've worn and worked in from Sitka has performed flawlessly. They're as waterproof as anything I've ever worn and as user friendly (as in washing and drying them) as a man could ask for.

In all honesty, I probably would not have bought the Duck Oven and Wader Jacket at the prices they were fetching earlier, without being able to try them out. I was seriously looking into Stormr considering my experience with Neoprene. It's no secret that we used to wear scuba shorties while hunting in extremely cold weather as it really keeps your core warm, but that's for another story. But I caught a lucky break and won the Sitka gear. I will say my experience with the Duck Oven convinced me to buy the Parka and Bibs.

So to answer the original question: Are they waterproof; Yes. As much as any garment I've ever worn. Are they warm; Yes. I'd even say toasty. You'll have to learn more about layering and adjust to your specific needs. Are they functional; Yes. Pockets galore and everything fits. It took a little adjusting to the "tightness" but no snagging, swishing, or binding. Is it worth the cost; Yes. I think it's an all-out performer and the direction hunting gear is headed. I'm of the age where I'm not gonna put up with leaky waders nor pretty colored but cold clothing. That ship sailed a long time ago. Customer Service; I haven't had to use it.

I wore Sitka Gear exclusively all season. As you've read, I have zero complaints except for the costs. But they're slowly coming down. If you're on the fence about buying some, I hope this post can ease your anxiety. It's a big leap to shell out the coin but I'll close this mini version of War & Peace by simply stating not once last season was I disappointed in the performance of the Sitka Gear.

Hope this helps,
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby Gj325 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:23 pm

I will buy any new Ferrari you have for $100,000.00

Don't have any Sitka gear I hear its great but my Dri plus will have to do
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter

Postby UmatillaJeff » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:47 pm

Hunting in Oregon is akin to hunting in a rain forest. There is no such thing as good cheap rain gear.

I can see that many may think the cost excessive but being wet for even one day will make the cost of staying dry seem cheap.

Thanks for the opinion from the man who used it 80 days last year. That was exactly what I was looking for. Jeff
UmatillaJeff
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:50 pm

My Sitka Cloudburst pants were the bomb!!!! I'd wear them on damp fields hunts, raining deer hunts and even elk hunting in knee deep snow at 7000'. Actually just sold them however because I'm giving up big game for a few years and needed the cash.
Their service is awesome. They stand behind their products. I had an older pair of Sitka rain pants. They started to leak. So they upgraded me to a new model and size for $150. The Cloudbursts are $329. Score!
Not sure about waterfowl. I usually roll in Carhartts and a hoodie unless the weather goes bad then it's Dirty Bird.
But for big game in the back country and your depending on your clothing to keep you alive... Worth every penny.
It's expensive but if you look around you can find used stuff or Camofire.com has it.

Quackhead Lanyard Prostaff
Takeem406
hunter

Postby KRB » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:13 am

nitram wrote:Before I ended up with a bunch of Sitka gear in early last Fall, my main hunting clothes had been Columbia/GoreTex Horicon Parka, Bibs, and a Omni Widgeon Jacket. I was fortunate to win a contest where I selected a Sitka Duck Oven, Wader Jacket, Merino Gloves, Gaitor, and a Beanie. I immediately learned I had to dress differently under the Sitka. I'd always worn a t-shirt under a chamois shirt and maybe even a hoodie with the Columbia. With the Sitka, I was way over-dressed. A Heat Gear LS Henley was enough under the Duck Oven, either moving or sedentary, for Alberta and the Montana opener. While in Ohio, right after Thanksgiving, I bought a Boreal Parka and a set of Pantanal Bibs. Considering the excellent service I'd received from the Duck Oven and Wader Jacket I figured the parka and bibs would do as well if not better. And I wasn't wrong. In mid-January I was hunting on the Tennessee River and it rained, sleeted, and snowed one day before turning nasty the next. The temps were from -5 to 7*F. that day with a stiff North wind and I wore a HG Henley, a Wooley Pully, and the Duck Oven/Wader Jacket and Waders. And seriously, I was very comfortable. In all, I hunted over 80 days last season and as most in the midwest and mid-south can attest, we had a pretty crappy winter, at least weather-wise. Everything I've worn and worked in from Sitka has performed flawlessly. They're as waterproof as anything I've ever worn and as user friendly (as in washing and drying them) as a man could ask for.

In all honesty, I probably would not have bought the Duck Oven and Wader Jacket at the prices they were fetching earlier, without being able to try them out. I was seriously looking into Stormr considering my experience with Neoprene. It's no secret that we used to wear scuba shorties while hunting in extremely cold weather as it really keeps your core warm, but that's for another story. But I caught a lucky break and won the Sitka gear. I will say my experience with the Duck Oven convinced me to buy the Parka and Bibs.

So to answer the original question: Are they waterproof; Yes. As much as any garment I've ever worn. Are they warm; Yes. I'd even say toasty. You'll have to learn more about layering and adjust to your specific needs. Are they functional; Yes. Pockets galore and everything fits. It took a little adjusting to the "tightness" but no snagging, swishing, or binding. Is it worth the cost; Yes. I think it's an all-out performer and the direction hunting gear is headed. I'm of the age where I'm not gonna put up with leaky waders nor pretty colored but cold clothing. That ship sailed a long time ago. Customer Service; I haven't had to use it.

I wore Sitka Gear exclusively all season. As you've read, I have zero complaints except for the costs. But they're slowly coming down. If you're on the fence about buying some, I hope this post can ease your anxiety. It's a big leap to shell out the coin but I'll close this mini version of War & Peace by simply stating not once last season was I disappointed in the performance of the Sitka Gear.

Hope this helps,

Very helpful, Thanks
KRB
hunter

Postby JWG » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:37 pm

I'd like ta own some stuff as well. Bought a new A5 and ended up getting a deal on Browning Dirty Bird stuff. I love it but normally would've stayed with Cabelas stuff. 25% off was the push. I'd buy a Ferrari too if I had the money but I would never take it down the back roads. Too much barbed wire where I hunt I guess. If ya can find it fer a great price, why not?
JWG
hunter

Postby Fowl Intentions » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:41 pm

I can only add to what KRB has stated. I hunt in Montana and encounter a range of weather throughout the season. I used to wear Columbia widgeon wader jacket. I liked it but the liner jacket was pretty bulky under my waders and I hated the cuffs and collar. The collar was at at my shoulder line, sitting very low. The shell part of the system was very heavy and bulky. After several seasons I needed a new jacket as it was more water resistant than water proof.

I bought the Sitka Duck Oven first. Windstopper, light weight/low bulk lower (to fit better under waders), and a nice high collar. The part I didn't like was that they didn't make the sleeves long enough to use the thumb holes but the cuffs were a less bulky material so it layers around your wrists better.

Second item was the Delta wading jacket. When the box came I thought they forgot to send the jacket and sent me a hat, (read small box). I love the jacket! Super light weight, very packable and very waterproof. I have found that, in a very lengthily and heavy rain the hand warmer pockets will leak but not the jacket (my hands will always find a way to get wet). Hood is great, tight wrist cuffs to keep water out, and lots of pockets. I use it a ton for shoulder season fishing too! I also have the Hudson hat and the Pantanal hat, both are great. I wish the Pantanal hat came in other patterns as I would be sure to get them as well.

It comes down to a choice of where you want to spend your hard earned money. I don't need a high dollar gun, the pump works just fine, but I do want to stay out in ANY type of weather and be comfortable. Almost had to spend the night in my waders and Sitka jackets, glad I didn't but I know I would have been fine.

Also they have absolutely wonderful customer service. You can talk to a hunter who lives in Bozeman who will take care of you if you have any problems with their equipment.

cheers

erich
Fowl Intentions
hunter

Postby UmatillaJeff » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:29 pm

Thanks ! This is the feedback I am looking for.
UmatillaJeff
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum