Versatile Layout Blind

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Versatile Layout Blind

Postby WVClaysandBassin » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:12 am

I've been shopping for a layout blind as I just got into field hunting this past season. I was leaning strongly towards the Tanglefree Dead Zone, especially when on sale at Cabelas with the snow cover, but I'm starting to reconsider because it's large and doesn't fold down much. I don't do much packing into the fields that I hunt, but I am wanting to use my layout along some of the river spots that I hunt and my boat isnt very big so room is a concern. I'm wanting a blind that folds down some, doesn't have to be extremely small when folded down, but more so than the 5 feet long that the dead zone does. I also don't want to be ultra cramped when inside the blind. So I'm looking for an in between. Also would like to get the best deal on the in between haha. I know lots of requirements, just wondering if you guys have any recommendations of a blind that folds down to a medium size and isn't too cramped on the inside.
Waterfowling is truly an addiction.
WVClaysandBassin
hunter

Re: Versatile Layout Blind

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:03 pm

I love my Cabela's Ultimate. Plenty of room and super easy to set up since it doesn't use pins. Plus its waterproof to 10". After I used one I was completely sold on them. I've also used Avery finishers and power hunters. I much prefer the Cabela's
It does fold down very flat but a little longer than some other layouts. Its kinda a trade off as to whether you want one that folds down small or do you want room. The smallest folded one you'll find is the power hunter. It hides very well. Packs really small. But it isn't waterproof and it has a flip up hood vs. Doors. I hated the hood. It always got in the way on windy days
Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby WVClaysandBassin » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:38 pm

I don't need it to fold up tiny, just so that its not huge like the dead zone. And I don't need it to be really big on the inside, just big enough I can work a call without moving the doors. Just something in the middle. All the ones I've looked at seem to be huge or really small. Thanks for the suggestion
WVClaysandBassin
hunter

Postby WVClaysandBassin » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:40 pm

Anybody have experience with the Rig Em Right Lowrider? The measurements seem to be not too big but not too snug either? Also have any of you guys ever painted a layout blind? Thinking about getting the khaki version and making a stencil and painting it
WVClaysandBassin
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:55 pm

Another vote for Cabelas UItimate Blind. Spend the extra $10 for camo, makes it easier to hide
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby WVClaysandBassin » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:47 pm

It's about another $100 for most camo versions that I've found. I can get a low rider for more than 100 cheaper. Wondering about if you can paint the khaki versions.
WVClaysandBassin
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:25 pm

I dont see any reason why ya couldnt paint the khaki version. Should work fine

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum