UTV vs ATV

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

UTV vs ATV

Postby SB2SX3 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:53 am

I am kind of in a dilemma on which is better for using during duck season and pleasure riding with my wife during the spring and summer. Right now I use a Yamaha5504x4 four-wheeler(not mine another hunter) during duck season and just pull a trailer with decoys and layout blinds plus the other hunter usually ride the trailer to the hunting hole. its approx. 1/2 mile pull. It is mainly wet terrain with light to medium mud. the four wheeler does struggle but gets the job done. I am looking to get my wife and I a atv or utv. just wondering if any one has any input on what they use or recommend. Thanks for any advice and comments in advance.
SB2SX3
hunter

Re: UTV vs ATV

Postby i_willie12 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:26 am

UTV!!!!!!!

Thats all i have to say! :thumbsup: Will change your life Have 2 buddies that bought them in the last 2 years.... They are great I have a atv and will be buying a UTV when it comes time
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:59 pm

Polaris Ranger. My '02 Ranger has given me no trouble at all.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby SB2SX3 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:05 pm

My wife didn't like the ranger.... She likes the razor or that type of UTV. I have looked at the can-am, razor, rhino, John Deere model, and the Kawasaki one too! The John Deere is sporty and still tough and strong.
SB2SX3
hunter

Postby SB2SX3 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:06 pm

It's goin to be a toss up... Just wanted some insight in which has the more benefit from the hunting standpoint.
SB2SX3
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:34 am

SB2SX3 wrote:It's goin to be a toss up... Just wanted some insight in which has the more benefit from the hunting standpoint.

I'd think that depends on where and how you are hunting. UTVs are great for hauling people and gear, but if you high center or bury one you've a very different problem than with a small 4-wheeler.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:45 am

If you want it for hunting/working dont get a razor!!! They arent meant to work They are meant to run
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby SB2SX3 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:57 am

Good point on the razor.... I am leaning toward the rhino or John Deere on the UTV side.
SB2SX3
hunter

Postby garlicsalt » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:17 pm

if you want to ride with your wife get a side by side. if you don't want to ride with your wife (by your self) get the atv. my wife has a suzuki king quad 450 2007. the thing is bad ass. but legally it's a one seater. we are selling it for the razor. you say you have a trailer for your hunting stuff so you will be good to go. then again if you get a 4 seater you will have plenty of room for stuff. by the way my hunting partner has a four seater razor and with 4 people it halls ass 70mph no prob. talk about a party on wheels. it's a blast. my other buddy has a ranger it is night and day compared to a razor. good luck.
garlicsalt
hunter

Postby SB2SX3 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:06 pm

Yea I ride a lot of trails and speed ain't my thing. I also have other hunters that go hunting with me too so an extra might come in handy. Money is a big difference in a four wheeler compared to a UTV. I hate to spend $14000 on a UTV just to drive the hell out of it to and from the camp to the blind plus beat around on our trails we ride. But like I said every body I ride wye ails with has a 2or 4 seat razor,rhinos, or can-ams. So it's not like our trails are to tight for the side by side. My wife hates having to ride our friends four wheeler when we ride with them but I like their price better. Lol... I am a cheap ass
SB2SX3
hunter

Postby Huntnharris » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:12 pm

If you are between the Rhino and JD, get the JD 800 series. I know a few people that have had problems with the Rhino. I have a Ranger 500 and love it, but wish I had a 800 just for the extra cab room. The Artic Cat is a hell of a machine as well.
Huntnharris
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:26 pm

3 grown men in waders can sit side by side on the bench seat of my Ranger and while no where near as fast as the Razor it will do 47 loaded on the road. To me the Ranger comes the closest thing to perfect for a hunting/playing/working combo.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby MNGunner » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:32 pm

For hunting, work, and versatility, a UTV hands down (and NOt a razor style).
MNGunner
hunter

Postby mdycrk » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:05 am

IMO can't beat a Ranger. I absolutely love mine and so do the guys that have ones too.
mdycrk
hunter

Postby SB2SX3 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:36 am

Is the ranger good for long trail rides?
SB2SX3
hunter

Postby 0321Tony » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:03 am

I have a Ranger 700 and use it a lot for everything. It's comfortable to take long rides with and it's a work horse as well. I like the bed space in it you don't have with the razor. I have used mine to haul out two moose and a camp and it did it with no problems. I do wish I had the 800 only because it will spin the wheels faster in the deeper mud so you can get through it better. Other than that I have no complaints with it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
0321Tony
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:11 pm

we've been researching for a couple years before we all figured what to buy.... We now have 3 rangers! By far the best :thumbsup:
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:06 am

ATV's are not designed to carry passengers. Get the side-by-side.
mudpack
hunter

Postby mufb » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:03 pm

Definately a vote for the Ranger. They ride great, have plenty of power and can run 45-50 mph if u want. Get a roof/rack fabricated for it and you can haul a lot more gear. We can get 3 guys and the dog in the front with all our gear in one trip. I had a 700 Grizzly prior to the Ranger and don't regret making the switch.

The ranger has some limitations as far as getting into tight areas (woods) but can go thru the nastiest mud and muck. Get a winch on the front in case you do get buried because unlike a 4 wheeler you can't horse it out.
Attachments
photo.JPG
mufb
hunter

Postby mdycrk » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:23 pm

mufb wrote:Definately a vote for the Ranger. They ride great, have plenty of power and can run 45-50 mph if u want. Get a roof/rack fabricated for it and you can haul a lot more gear. We can get 3 guys and the dog in the front with all our gear in one trip. I had a 700 Grizzly prior to the Ranger and don't regret making the switch.

The ranger has some limitations as far as getting into tight areas (woods) but can go thru the nastiest mud and muck. Get a winch on the front in case you do get buried because unlike a 4 wheeler you can't horse it out.

I second all that...
Rack.jpg
mdycrk
hunter

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:42 pm

Another vote for the Ranger. I've got the 800 with power steering and it's a horse. I've still gotta fab me a rack for it but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Fri May 02, 2014 2:02 pm

i_willie12 wrote:we've been researching for a couple years before we all figured what to buy.... We now have 3 rangers! By far the best :thumbsup:

So instead of telling him how much you love them, why not tell him what you found in your research? The Pro's & Con's. The problems that Rangers have. Rangers have set the standard for a long time, but he might need to know they don't have engine breaking (it's like going down hills in neutral), 2014 - 900 doesn't have an emergency brake (can't park on a slope or shifter gets hung in park). He might be taking it in water, where he definitely needs to know how to dry the belts. Needs to know the stock shocks aren't so great, belt heat can be a problem, steering rack boots dry rot fast (make damn sure you stay on top of those) buddy lost his steering gear assembly rack everything, he caught this when he was changing the drive axles, bearings, front differentials seals on output (all went shot at 2800 miles). Adjustable steering will freeze up. Sure they are great machines, but if you haven't had any problems with these machines and have had them for any length of time, you ain't using them. And until they moved the engine back or put heat shield over the engines, you couldn't sit in the seat very long. SB2SX3 give me a private message, I'll tell you some of the things things that are not so perfect about them. Have friend who bought a 900 2 weeks ago, he knew all this going in, but has already discovered some issues. And they ain't got doors! LOL
AR Dave
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Fri May 02, 2014 2:03 pm

That's just my humble opinion of course! :yes:
AR Dave
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Fri May 02, 2014 2:28 pm

So what would you buy in your humble opinion
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Fri May 02, 2014 2:43 pm

700-4
AR Dave
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum