Some questions

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Some questions

Postby HonkShooter » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:08 pm

Hey everyone. I have a few questions so any info would be appreciated.
-I was wondering if anybody uses the pant wader things or if regular chest waders are the way to go. Pant waders seem like you could just put those on if you were going to be "around water" and not have the bulk of full waders. Any ideas?
-Should I get a floating gun case? Is it worth the $20 bucks. I have a case already, but am going to have some money to play with so???
-Does anyone use the adjustable choke tubes? Do they work good? Worth the money?
-Last but not least...should I camo my gun? Tape it up? Paint it up? any suggestions?

Thanks
Joe
No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often.
-Teddy Roosevelt
HonkShooter
hunter

Postby donell67 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:25 pm

if you werent going over your waste pant waders might be ok. i would definately go with full chest waders.i never have had a floating gun case, but 20 bucks doesnt sound like a bad investment to save your gun if it goes in. i just use the factory chokes dont know about the adjustables. i like to buy my guns in camo but look how long guys have hunted without camo on there guns with no problem. stay away from the camo tape if you ever take it off it might take off the blueing. sounds like the best thing for camoing your gun is camo dipping.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby KCDuckMaster » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:58 pm

Do not get the adjustable choke tube. They are terrible. You will never get a consistent pattern with them.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:50 pm

Never heard of adjustable tubes. How do they work.

Honk Shooter I would agree with everything donell said. If you could have both kinds of waders I would suggest hip waders. I've seen nightmares with camo tape on guns, especially when they get wet and then dry out continually.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:45 pm

Never heard of adjustable tubes. How do they work.

Like S**T my roomate bought a tru glow and I think we shot ever shell there was out there both out of his gun and my gun and we couldn't get a good pattern. I would highly suggest getting an aftermarket tube if you need something other than your factory tube, maybe a Brileys, Comp N Choke, or Patternmaster. Just my .02 cents
cmelik10
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:44 am

I don’t know what causes this… but no matter what type of waders I have on, they always end up being one inch shorter than the depth of the water I am wading.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:28 am

Some good questions...If you can get away with pant waders, do it. I might also recommend checking out some hip boots if ya dont get chest deep. I wore out a pair of knee boots this year.
I really dont have the need for a floating gun case...I usaully have mine slung over my shoulder, across my back.
As for choke tubes and camo tape...If your shootin steel and hitting the bird already, dont change a thing. If your gun is a new gun with a nice price tag...dont tape it.
If your gun is older and showing signs of many a hunt, and, you suspect your choke is tired...go ahead and tape it, and experiment with a couple chokes.
My partner taped his Nova, I left mine black...but, these guns are disposable, and, if the birds can see my gun, they already being shot at. I wouldnt tape my new SBE.
My wife bought me a light that straps to my head for like $10...the handiest $10 that was ever spent. :thumbsup: Y'all have a nice day!
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:08 pm

regarding waders....if you can only get one pair, make them chest highs.....if you can get hippers and the waist-hi's in addition, you will appreciate the variety......I would suggest starting with chest because they can go 'anywhere'.....then the hippers for flooded fields and marshes or warm days even if in a boat, followed by the waist-his. Get one every year and begin a cycle, by the time you need new chest waders you'll have the $........I get alot of use from my waders and usually don't have to replace them that often, but I do anyway in different patterns etc. Waist hi's are great if you are going to be sitting (even if in a blind where seats are always wet) whereas if you had hippers your pants will be soaked and you'll have a cold butt.

I do not see alot of benefit from a floating case....but I have never dumped a cased gun overboard either...guns should be strapped down when underway anyhow.

As for the poly-choke or adjustable I guess they're called these days...NOT for steel....they were designed and effective with lead.

Lastly......you asked about a camo finish or dipping aftermarket .....IMO, (and I do have one camoed) the only good reason to dip a gun is for rust protection.....I personally do not think a camo gun finish will make any difference to the number of birds committing to your spread. Look at it this way, our fathers and grandfathers never had black synthetic or camo and they shot alot more birds than we do. I do however think that a matte or parkerized finish can be a good thing if factory done since the glare potential is greatly reduced.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 870 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:43 pm

I prefer waist-hi’s more freedom of movement without the pulling on the shoulders. I like them for layout hunting. I don’t hunt ponds, creeks, or for that matter much marsh. I hunt big water, if the water gets close to my waist; I’m in my boat I have an older 870, I wore varnish off two three times, the mat finish finally ware off. I painted it. It looks just like sniper rifle.
State Moderator

Postby duck hunter cam » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:42 pm

KC, pretty much summed it up that i was gonna say. :thumbsup: .
It's only sky busting if u miss.
duck hunter cam
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum