PVC pipe portable blinds

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

PVC pipe portable blinds

Postby NEhunter » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:38 pm

Thinking about framing a blind with PVC pipe to make it a little easier to move if needed throughout the season.

Curious if anyone has tried this? How'd you set it up? Did it work good for ya?

Thanks.
"There is a passion for hunting, something deeply implanted within a man..."

-Charles Dickens
NEhunter
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:54 pm

A kid sent me a picture of a blind he had made from one of those softball pitchbacks. He painted it, and would weave weeds from wherever he was hunting, through the mesh netting. When he broke it down, he could cram it in a 4 or 5" pvc with a strap on it, then sling it over his shoulder...I tell ya...looked REAL good, and CHEAP, most all...Light wieght. Not sure thats what ya had in mind, but, thought it worth mentioning. :thumbsup: Y'all have a nice day! :cool:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:27 am

i know a guy who made one out of 2" black ABS pipe. camo'd it up with cloth attached with zip ties. it all broke down so it could be carried in a duffle bag. it was light weight, carried easy, and kept you well concealed. it wasn't without its issues however.

lightweight = doesn't stay put in a wind. he tried to solve this by making it so you could fill the pipe with sand to keep it in place. not a bad idea, except there is no sand where we usually hunt.

cost. after all was said and done. i think that the entire project cost him about 150 dollars. still not bad for a 2 man blind, but not cost effective enough for me to imitate it.

just some thoughts...i like the last idea of using one of those pitchback frames.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:19 pm

This has been hashed over quite a bit in another forum:

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/vie ... php?t=2399

Hope it helps.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby Admin2 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:02 am

light weight also = breaks easily. Better to use electrical conduit as it it much stronger-especially in cold weather conditions.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:43 am

Sure, but once it breaks you can always part it out for marshmallow guns :getdown:
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:00 am

admin2: good call on the conduit. I use it to prop up some "landing" decoys. It does well in cold weather. Also, still light - weight.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby NEhunter » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:47 pm

Thanks for the ideas. :salude:
"There is a passion for hunting, something deeply implanted within a man..."

-Charles Dickens
NEhunter
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:34 pm

Try using the poles from a screen house or tent that uses the steel tubing as this is light weight and breaks down easily and the poles are made to go together and some of them are adjustable. :thumbsup:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby wa.duckhunter » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:44 am

I built me a portable blind out of pvc, very light weight and easy to built but not very dependable. I basically made a cube and used some burlap to drape over the sides. The blind kept breaking apart, especially with the abuse of a dog coming in and out of it while making retrieves. The plastic becomes brittle in the cold. :thumbsdown:

My dad built a blind out of electrical conduit and it was a lot stronger and could seat three hunters comfortable the weight was slightly more, but it also had twice the room and strength of the pvc blind. :thumbsup:
wa.duckhunter
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:59 pm

I just may have to try this :mrgreen:

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Q2shooter » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:17 am

I made a PVC framed blind for my 12' jon......works well. Never had any problems with the cold or wind (and we get both here in Michigan on Lake Erie). I sewed velcro on the blind material which keeps it secure and tight. Goes up and breaks down in minutes and is easy to transport. Definitely a cheaper alternative that has produced good results.
Q2shooter
hunter

ues

Postby Ducks » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:59 pm

Use bamboo, its much stronger and last forever ,not to mention its free ;) just my 2 cents don`t no one kick me now :thumbsup:
Arkansas is the Natural state!
Pick up your shells!
Ducks
Banned

Postby DROPDUX » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:15 pm

thinking about making a pvc truck tent though. When we hunt, we camp. It would make things quick easy and clean--especially if we get rained out.
DROPDUX
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum