mossy oak shadow grass duckboat or ATV?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

mossy oak shadow grass duckboat or ATV?

Postby bigcan » Wed May 04, 2005 10:42 pm

Greetings guys, why it took me so long I don't know. Let me ask this question and one can answer in a prudent & realistic way like I've tried to think it out or you might take the chance with the go for it attitude! Either way, I'm readily capable of either. (Unfortionately) ; ). First off, I'm 49 and probably older than many on here. I've hunted ducks since h.s. and to me, nothing beats duckhunting. i almost live for it. My problem is I have only 12k in the bank. Today, I paid cash for a Mossy oak Polaris sportsman 500 HO. Awesome killer looking machine. I have 5k left. I pick up the atv tomorrow however.....

I know I can back out. But what I was doing was seeing where I'll be financially 10 months from now. With all the money I'll have, I can make it til next work season paying the bills with a few thousand left over. If I get this 17' duck boat in shadow grass and trailer and motor, I'll last 5 months after my work and will be facing homeless possibilities and work isn't easy to come by where I'm at. Might have to settle for a lousy 8.00 and hour job and I will if I can find one over winter. If I don't get the boat, I will be able to get back to CA to hunt dec/jan and spend time with the pops. I missed my first season in 22 yrs because of my move to AK.

Let's say I didn't get the atv. In early June once I just buy the boat & trailer, that would leave me with 2,500 for a 4-stroke and be out of money come rent time if I get the motor. I would be using this boat for king fishing on the Kenai river and I'll have a good duck hunting boat to take across a few lakes as the hunting on foot on some of the flatsarea's, arn't that productive after the 1st few weeks unless you hunt every day which I live just down the street from.

What do I want more? the boat. I really don't want to spend anything but there are some places to hunt with an atv. My interest in an atv is purely because it's camo. Guess I'm hooked on camo. I wouldnt' even buy an atv if it weren't for the New mossy oak. I'm sick! I'd also use it for relaxing, taking the dog along as she bounces which is not good at 9 yrs of age. She'll not like it much. What do I have a black lab for? To get ducks and fish or to be on the back of an ATV? My dog would even think.....you put me on this thing...this is no fun what's the matter with you? There's many things to use it for. Cruising the shoreline beaches, the mnts. and it would be my first ATV. However my atv won't be able to get me across the lake or on the river. It simply doesn't float. I need a boat but I do have a few who I've hunted and fished with. Still, nothing like having your own boat like I've had the past 4 yrs. If you can afford it. I've had 3 boats but sold them all.

Can someone tell me what my problem is besides being poor? I'm single, no kids and just me and the black lab. I know, I'll be on the ATV while the dog is running, having fun or we could be on a boat like we've been doing the past 3 yrs. I know what I want to do but know if I buy the boat, I'll be forced with the possibility of not being set over winter. I'd rather take it easy to hunt all winter but if I get the boat, I won't be able to see pops. What matters more to me? Sure I could kill 40 ducks without a duck boat. but we have silvers in the river and well, you know... thanks for your stern advice! :thumbsup:
watching the surface...
bigcan
hunter

your boat pics

Postby bigcan » Thu May 05, 2005 12:11 am

you know guys....I went into the boat forum on here and saw the pics of the labs in the boats with guys hanging their ducks and these pictures brought it all home to me. Our labs get into duck hunting and know what's going on. Our duck hunting bonds with our dogs is somethink I try to cherish. Nothing looks more awesome than seeing a black lab on a boat. Be it fishing or hunting. It's why I have my 2nd lab. To hunt. Not for her to be on my atv. Sure, if one can get an atv to great hunting on a regular basis, then one could truly justify by enjoyment. I was going to order the 17' Lowe Rougneck but they won't have it ready til July. Too late for Kings on the river but had an 18' which is why it was so expensive.

I'll just get the 1655 D and save $1,769.00 And rough it through winter. Sometimes people up here in Alaska are looking for rentals and if I can get someone to rent out my awesome 30x30 2 bdrm log cabin with a loft from Nov thru March, while I'm in CA hunting ducks, I'll be alright!
watching the surface...
bigcan
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Thu May 05, 2005 11:25 am

Forget the ATV, and get the boat. Instead of using an atv to hunt these places--just walk. That way you are staying healthy and prolonging your life so you can get maximum enjoyment out of your new but kickin camo'd duck boat. Just my thinkin; (Nothin I want to hunt is on land though). Seriously, If money is that tight you should either: 1. buy neither, or 2. do some bargain shopping and shop around (polaris rocks, but they arent the cheapest). Besides you could always live in the new boat. :toofunny:
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Thu May 05, 2005 11:43 am

this is weird...

no brainer!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Thu May 05, 2005 7:50 pm

Are you one of them crab fishermen up there bigcan. You say work season like it's only one time of the year.
Sorry don't really have an opinion about what you should buy, because I really don't know your true situation, but I was just wandering about the crab thing. I've been watching a series about it on Discovery Channel and it looks unbelievable.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby bigcan » Fri May 06, 2005 12:38 am

heck no gsp but i met a few guys that both have over 17 yrs exp. I was thinking about it but at 49, I'm not sure I could handle it. I played baseball 4 yrs of college and simply not in shape and my arms are weak from not lifting anything but a flyrod and my duckgun. I'm not afraid, I just wouldn't want to let anyone down. Something to think about. A few weeks ago I got contacts for this fall in case I change my mind. I work seasonal for one of the cannerys.
watching the surface...
bigcan
hunter

Postby donell67 » Thu May 12, 2005 10:30 pm

definately the duck boat.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tstrong » Thu May 12, 2005 10:39 pm

Dropdux - sound advise.
tstrong
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum